Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is there a need for a service book these days?

Wiz201

I had my first service done yesterday with my 2023 Aygo. Everything went well, and someone from the service team picked my car up and delivered it back with a receipt and the service form. They didn't give me a service book with a stamp, but I've been thinking is there any need for one? I usually swap my cars back with the dealer at the end of a 3 year period, so there is no need to prove to any other buyer that the car has been serviced every year? 

Isobel, I think they are disappearing.

• Like 2

I asked the same question and was told it's on line now so now need for a service book

• Like 3

While you might only use a car for three years the need to record the service history will not go away as hopefully cars will have longer lifespan than that. The paper service book will go away and the record will be stored in the manufacturer's system and the car. This is how BMW has done it for years already. There is no book, but you can see the full record in the on board computer and see when the next service is due and what things needs doing in that service.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, APS said:

While you might only use a car for three years the need to record the service history will not go away as hopefully cars will have longer lifespan than that. The paper service book will go away and the record will be stored in the manufacturer's system and the car. This is how BMW has done it for years already. There is no book, but you can see the full record in the on board computer and see when the next service is due and what things needs doing in that service.

oh I agree that the cars do live on, I still check the health status of my previous cars on the MOT check system (my first 2014 Aygo for example is still living) all I need to do is remember the reg numbers which is not difficult with photos lol.

• Like 1

@APS being online of course means the manufacturer captures your data when you check and is predicated on whoever serviced the car actually updating the maintenance record.  Given Toyotas rolling 10 year warranty that will capture most Toyotas.

• Like 1

The only problem arrises is if you want to sell the car privately.

When I traded in my Lexus and bought my Rav4  I handed over every bit of paperwork relating to the car.

When the tyres had been changed, when I installed the new 12v Battery, when the spark plugs were changed

when one failed. All of the service folders etc.

All I got with the Rav4 was a small book with stamps in.  Which was strange as they never stamped the book

for my Yaris or for the Lexus.  After pushing them I got a couple of A4 sheets in tiny print, telling me nothing.

I downloaded two MOT certificates which seem to verify the mileage.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

I had my first service done yesterday with my 2023 Aygo. Everything went well, and someone from the service team picked my car up and delivered it back with a receipt and the service form. They didn't give me a service book with a stamp, but I've been thinking is there any need for one? I usually swap my cars back with the dealer at the end of a 3 year period, so there is no need to prove to any other buyer that the car has been serviced every year? 

Toyota are doing their bit to save the planet and move away from printed matter. Service books and manuals are becoming a thing of the past, however you can still order them. A handbook for instance is about £30 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

The only problem arrises is if you want to sell the car privately.

When I traded in my Lexus and bought my Rav4  I handed over every bit of paperwork relating to the car.

When the tyres had been changed, when I installed the new 12v battery, when the spark plugs were changed

when one failed. All of the service folders etc.

All I got with the Rav4 was a small book with stamps in.  Which was strange as they never stamped the book

for my Yaris or for the Lexus.  After pushing them I got a couple of A4 sheets in tiny print, telling me nothing.

I downloaded two MOT certificates which seem to verify the mileage.

Tbh even when I hand back my previous Aygos, I leave any documents in of work the car had done. I'll certainly do it with this one especially if Toyota have decided not to provide service books anymore.

I still like to have a stamped Service Book...

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Toyota are doing their bit to save the planet and move away from printed matter. Service books and manuals are becoming a thing of the past, however you can still order them. A handbook for instance is about £30 

VW will print off the service history if you go in to a main dealer with your V5 (Log book)

Do you know if Toyota will do this.

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

Is that for the short version or the full PDF?

In a weird twist of coincidence, I found a mini/quick start manual and service book jammed in the bottom of my glove box, still shrink-wrapped!, a few months ago - Another point to Jemca as I'm sure that wasn't a standard item with the Mk4's so they must have ordered it in especially?? Very unlike them... :g: :unsure:

Gave the stamp book to the dealer at my last service and they stamped it all the way up to current (Although missed one so now one of the stamps is in the wrong place. Doesn't look suspicious at all! :whistling1: :fear: )

I'm mainly doing it in case I sell it, as it just looks better, but if you're going to trade it in to a dealer it's a bit pointless since all the details are stored electronically.

Someone reckoned a lot of dealers throw away most paperwork anyway because of GDPR, so only the stamp book and electronic service records would survive in that case!

It's a shame as it makes it easier to have confidence in a used car if it has loads of paperwork, receipts for work done etc. and I wouldn't trust a service book alone as evidence for service history as stamps are easy to fake!

With me, any invoice for work on the car - Servicing, Brakes, Tyres, even alignment and AC regassing etc. all go into a box file with the car's reg on it and goes with the car when I sell it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Full version.

4 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

I leave any documents in of work the car had done. I'll certainly do it with this one especially if Toyota have decided not to provide service books anymore.

Due to data protection anything that identifies you won't be passed onto a new owner, and will probably be destroyed.

Last couple of cars we've part exchanged, the accepting dealer didn't want any documentation because of this..

• Like 3

For the last 20 years I have only had Toyota cars and in the early days I had service books but now I use MyT. If I buy a 2nd hand car I print off the service history when I get the car. I then put the service receipts in a plastic box file along with the insurance policy, spare key, V5, mots if applicable and any other information relevant to the car. When I sell I give the dealer/new owner the file.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Full version.

Thank you.  PDF for searching but hard copy for browsing and book marking. 

Thing that puzzles me with PDF.  The PDF is supposed to be specific to your VIN but is full of if fitted and whole sections on multimedia irrelevant with separate book required.

i guess the coding for that is too difficult/expensive. 

14 hours ago, MC1216 said:

VW will print off the service history if you go in to a main dealer with your V5 (Log book)

Do you know if Toyota will do this.

Thanks

Yes, but it is basic info, you can download service history from MyT app 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Printed version 

If its a Toyota and reasonably new or new, the complete service history is in the MyT app, but it does not breakdown it EXACTLY what was done, if it was a repair or something.  As long as there is a paper service record book, I'm keeping it and ensuring its stamped.👍

• Like 1

Maybe i'm too old school, and nothing against online records, but I still like to keep a stamped up service book and paper records of service in my file, as it kind of better shows I care.  And as someone else said, if I sell privately, it looks better to the new owner.  Electronic records only are all well and good, but they are faceless, and don't show any personal attention to detail in looking after the vehicle.  

• Like 4

My car has online Toyota service history since 2010 up to now. But it’s nice to have a book too, especially when you stamp it by yourself and finish all designed pages and continue onto the next ones. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links