Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris 2014 Hybrid Brake Pedal/Booster

inteli7

Good morning guys,

Can someone please tell me if I am going mad? 

Is it normal for the brake booster to go off whenever you press it down while the car is on? 

Also, can someone check how far the brake pedal can be pressed while the car is on? My one goes all the way down, but it gets stiffer.

No error codes on Techstream. If anyone has any suggestions on what else to look at in Techstream (like some values) please let me know.

PS I have brakes, and the car stops. The ABS seems to work if I brake like a madman.

Thank you,

Dave

I think you'll find the hybrid has an electrically driven vacuum pump because you can't rely on inlet manifold depression as the engine may not be running.

I recently learned many modern perol cars also use electrically driven vacuum pumps as the throttle doesn't fully close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, inteli7 said:

Is it normal for the brake booster to go off whenever you press it down while the car is on? 

Yes. (Assuming that the second it is the brake pedal.)

• Like 1

It seems normal.
Perhaps not exactly all the way down but yes the pedal can travel far down. 
In some other models like Auris hybrid when press fully the brake pedal the Esc lights come on to show you had activated the brake hold function. , not sure if Yaris is the same. If your brakes function normally, no warning lights on on dashboard no need to worry about. 👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pump the brake pedal and if it comes up and there is little movement, they need bleeding.  Its recommended that brake fluid is changed every two years as its hygroscopic and can absorb water and cause spongy brakes.

Edited by jthspace
Typo

That sounds normal to me, it is all electricalmk3 has a pump and accumulator, newer cars (P210, E210) are directly driven with no vacuum system at all

if you haven't already your car may be due a 12v Battery

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

mk3 has a pump and accumulator

Is it vacuum or compressed air? I'd think the latter more likely.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links