Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 Yaris uneven rear tyre wear

kernowjim

Posted (edited)

Hi all

I've been a long time forum lurker and thought I'd finally ask this question to see if others have experienced similar.

I have a 2022 Yaris Dynamic which I've had from new and now has 15,000 miles on the clock.  It has the original Bridgestone EP150 Ecopia tyres, which I'm not a huge fan of and have been looking forward to having to change them.  I've noticed that my rear tyres are wearing close to the wear indicator on the outer edges only and far sooner than the inner section of the tread and even the front tyres.  I've pretty fanatical about maintenance and always ensure the tyre pressures are as dictated by Toyota at 29psi, which I always thought was quite low.  The wear on the outer edge immediately made me think of an alignment issue but these are the rear tyres on a fixed rear axle.  My second thought was that they are slight underinflated and the outer wear is caused by the tyre sidewall compressing in corners as the weight of the car pushes the car outwards?

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?  When I do replace the tyres in a month or so, I'm happy to run the rear pressures a bit higher, to maybe just match the fronts of around 32psi if that would help tyre longevity.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by kernowjim
grammar ad accuracy
  • Like 2

I found that on my Yaris Mk1s - At book pressures they'd wear more on the outsides, esp. the fronts, so I tried running them at higher pressures and IIRC +3 over book seemed to be the sweet spot that made the wear much more even without making the car to skittish.

I sometimes wonder if they set the pressures for the petrol ones and didn't factor in the much heavier diesel, or in this case hybrid, versions :confused1:

I haven't noticed it with the Mk4, but the rated pressures for that on 15" rims was very high (Something like, 40psi!? :eek: ) and I found that made the car very twitchy, so am running it at 37-38ish, which seems to be a good balance between evening out the wear and not making the car understeer in every corner like it was at 40 :laugh: 

There's no harm in experimenting and seeing what works best for you.

• Like 4

Wow that is a complete contrast to the 17" wheels and tyres (205/45) where the recommended pressure is 32psi front and 29psi rear!  

I will run the fronts at 34 and the rear at 32 and see how it goes.

Thanks

• Like 4

Agreed,  playing with tyre pressure is important to find the perfect balance. 
Adjust on cold only and when test drive and readjust wait at least 30 min after you stop and then measure and add air or deflate. 
Also when doing these tests try to notice how the car drives over bumps and road cracks, imperfections., if too squishy and soft means tyres pressures are low, if too harsh and bumpy means tyres pressures are too high.
The typical correct pressure ride is firm but smooth with nice rubbery feel. 
When you have the correct pressures set on cold and under shade, never under direct sunlight the pressure may move up or down depending on air temperature and sunlight and when in motion but you will remain within the car specs as all these been taken into account by the manufacturer. 
For peace of mind you can do slight over the pre set numbers for example on 2.3 bar you can do 2.35 bar, this is what I usually do. 👍👍🛞

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kernowjim said:

The wear on the outer edge immediately made me think of an alignment issue but these are the rear tyres on a fixed rear axle.

It's not a fixed rear axle. That only applies to cars, mostly older ones, with rear wheel drive via a solid rear axle with the differential in the middle.

It's entirely possible there is an alignment issue. Hit the dealer with the problem (or better though more expensive a decent independent with alignment checking kit).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kernowjim said:

Hi all

I've been a long time forum lurker and thought I'd finally ask this question to see if others have experienced similar.

I have a 2022 Yaris Dynamic which I've had from new and now has 15,000 miles on the clock.  It has the original Bridgestone EP150 Ecopia tyres, which I'm not a huge fan of and have been looking forward to having to change them.  I've noticed that my rear tyres are wearing close to the wear indicator on the outer edges only and far sooner than the inner section of the tread and even the front tyres.  I've pretty fanatical about maintenance and always ensure the tyre pressures are as dictated by Toyota at 29psi, which I always thought was quite low.  The wear on the outer edge immediately made me think of an alignment issue but these are the rear tyres on a fixed rear axle.  My second thought was that they are slight underinflated and the outer wear is caused by the tyre sidewall compressing in corners as the weight of the car pushes the car outwards?

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?  When I do replace the tyres in a month or so, I'm happy to run the rear pressures a bit higher, to maybe just match the fronts of around 32psi if that would help tyre longevity.

Thanks for your help!

Typical. I’m sitting in Derbyshire on four very good tyres going for a song and the first potential bite is in Cornwall 🙄

• Haha 1

Don.

Take your Babe on a week-end break & sell those boots !

Tel

• Haha 4

Mine, Corolla TS, was pulling a bit to the left when I got it new with only 3 miles on the clock. Had to hold the steering half an inch to the right pretty much all the time - I know someone will say its the road camber, etc.....It wasn't. Despite I complained few times to the dealer they said its within limits, the road camber..... Original tyres were Continentals and the fronts did wear a bit more on the outer edge

As soon as I said I am happy to pay for wheel alignment (think this was on my 2nd 20k miles service) they CONFIRMED, yes the car is a bit off - very tiny bit, but off. After they fixed it, I no longer have to correct the steering wheel, it goes straight as it should. No issues since they did the alignment - currently with GoodYears egp2

More interestingly, I did drive 2 different courtesy Toyotas, while mine was in for service, and they both were pulling slightly to the left. There were few people here complaining of their cars doing the same, and there are few videos in YouTube mentioning the same issue with brand new cars. I wonder if this is normal for Toyota

• Like 5

5 hours ago, anchorman said:

Typical. I’m sitting in Derbyshire on four very good tyres going for a song and the first potential bite is in Cornwall 🙄

Oh that's typical eh  What have you got there exactly?  I'm visiting a mate in Matlock in a couple of months

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tel 2 said:

Don.

Take your Babe on a week-end break & sell those boots !

Tel

Haha, she was at one time but I think that might contravene the Trade Descriptions Act.  We’re both of a pensionable age.   

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, kernowjim said:

Oh that's typical eh  What have you got there exactly?  I'm visiting a mate in Matlock in a couple of months

I’ve got four 16 inch Conti’s that came off my Yaris when I put all seasons on.  I thought I had better photos but from memory they’re all better than 5.5mm.  Never been near a kerb.   Not 40, not 30 and not even £20 a piece.  To you, £10 each (got my market trader head on there 😉).  That’s £40 for four pukka premium brand tyres.  I need the space.  I’m so impressed with that advert, I’m thinking of buying them myself but anchorwoman will have my guts for garters!  Bumper looks beat up on there but its reflections, there wasn’t a mark on it!

IMG_3994.jpeg

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Haha, she was at one time but I think that might contravene the Trade Descriptions Act.  We’re both of a pensionable age.   

In which case there would not be enough room for 4 wheels too.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roy124 said:

In which case there would not be enough room for 4 wheels too.

A couple of days in Cornwall and my mrs makes it looks like we’re off to the Himalayas so no, Jim would have to be tyre sherpa.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I like the ramp on the ramp.  I can't recall if I ever used ramps as I used axle stands after jacking but that's a good idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

I’ve got four 16 inch Conti’s that came off my Yaris when I put all seasons on.  I thought I had better photos but from memory they’re all better than 5.5mm.  Never been near a kerb.   Not 40, not 30 and not even £20 a piece.  To you, £10 each (got my market trader head on there 😉).  That’s £40 for four pukka premium brand tyres.  I need the space.  I’m so impressed with that advert, I’m thinking of buying them myself but anchorwoman will have my guts for garters!  Bumper looks beat up on there but its reflections, there wasn’t a mark on it!

IMG_3994.jpeg

it is indeed a fantastic listing, you've outdone yourself.  Usually I'd be all over that but I've got 205/45 17's!!

• Like 3

Heard a member named something like Cyker likes to play with wheel/tyres sizes that might be interested in a set of 16". I would be interested as it's my car size, though nowhere to store. 

If you yank out his bumper to put in a loud horn, install cabin lights for the back, take the Turkish delight 12v Battery off and make him a cuppa, think he'll bite. Think his lumbar needs a massage too. 

PS on topic, have my 16" tyre pressure about 35/36 psi all around, 29 feels too low for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yaris and Yaris cross fwd plus Aygo x are built on the same platform and use non adjustable rear suspension beam. However rear axle can move out of spec as a result of front axle misalignment, not sure if this can be enough to cause premature rear tyres wear on outer edge, at least not on both tyres imo. Usually Toyota cars has very simple but very sturdy suspension set up and if they are properly set and aligned you don’t need to play with the alignment unless you hit something badly, got accident or replace suspension parts like tie rods, arms  or steering rack. 
Slight pull to the left is usually normal. 

• Like 2

Alas I'm on 15"s so couldn't use them even at that price! I'll take the horn upgrade and back massage though... :yes: :laugh: 

Ironically I have the same problem as I have a full set of pristine unused 17" rims and tyres sitting in the shed! :laugh: 

16 hours ago, MikeSh said:

It's not a fixed rear axle. That only applies to cars, mostly older ones, with rear wheel drive via a solid rear axle with the differential in the middle.

It's entirely possible there is an alignment issue. Hit the dealer with the problem (or better though more expensive a decent independent with alignment checking kit).

I think he meant the rear suspension geometry isn't adjustable so it doesn't make sense that they could be out of alignment.

TBH I don't trust the alignment things 100% - When I was getting my fronts sorted because the car was pulling to the left, they said my right rear was 0.2 and out of spec, which I thought was weirdly co-incidental as I knew that tyre was slightly down on pressure (Live TPMS display FTW :biggrin: ). I told them to pump it up by 2 PSI and measure again (Which took some persuading!), and what do you know, that put it to 0.12 and back in spec! :wacko:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Alas I'm on 15"s so couldn't use them even at that price! I'll take the horn upgrade and back massage though... :yes: :laugh: 

Ironically I have the same problem as I have a full set of pristine unused 17" rims and tyres sitting in the shed! :laugh: 

I think he meant the rear suspension geometry isn't adjustable so it doesn't make sense that they could be out of alignment.

TBH I don't trust the alignment things 100% - When I was getting my fronts sorted because the car was pulling to the left, they said my right rear was 0.2 and out of spec, which I thought was weirdly co-incidental as I knew that tyre was slightly down on pressure (Live TPMS display FTW :biggrin: ). I told them to pump it up by 2 PSI and measure again (Which took some persuading!), and what do you know, that put it to 0.12 and back in spec! :wacko:

"Ironically I have the same problem as I have a full set of pristine unused 17" rims and tyres sitting in the shed!"

Whereabouts are you in the UK?  You never know....

North London! I wasn't sure what to do with them, as originally I figured I'd keep them for when I eventually sell the car, but given I'm now more likely to keep the car long term I'm not sure if it's worth it... :unsure:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cyker said:

North London! I wasn't sure what to do with them, as originally I figured I'd keep them for when I eventually sell the car, but given I'm now more likely to keep the car long term I'm not sure if it's worth it... :unsure:

ah well I'm right down in the depths of Cornwall, so that probably wouldn't be economically viable

• Haha 1

I'm off to Cornwall for a week next month, using Truro as base. Could get it off Cyker and pass on to you, just need to take a fee from both 🙂. Kidding of course! Got a full car of passengers and luggages. 

• Haha 2

I've not had my YC long enough to notice, but I had the same problem with my Mazda 6, and the dealer advice was to keep the tyre pressures at the max, at the setting for fully laden.  After that I never had a problem with uneven wear.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Oh yes? I imagine many of the various bits are bolted together and so there can be a little clearance here and there. So although not officially adjustable it may well be possible to slacken a few bolts, tap something across a bit, and retighten. A good alignment shop will know what's possible.

Remember the original Minis (and 1100/1300) with the rear subframes that rotted? I followed so many of them that had been replaced but were misaligned, so the car was crabbing with the back an inch or two sideways from the front *. Sloppy holes - though I expect clearances are tighter these days.

( * I'm sure I've seen it on one or two modern cars in the last few years as well, but they may have been damaged.)

• Like 2

Absolutely, although the kind of places that'd have the skill and willing to attempt that sort of unsanctioned alignment are rare these days!

Probably the kind of place where the mechanic looks down on these fancy Hunter Laser tracking systems and just uses marked skid plates and some string to achieve the same thing :laugh: 

Thankfully it's pretty rare for the Yaris rear-end to really go out of alignment unless it's been in an impact of some sort - Usually it is tyres or bushes.

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

I'm off to Cornwall for a week next month, using Truro as base. Could get it off Cyker and pass on to you, just need to take a fee from both 🙂. Kidding of course! Got a full car of passengers and luggages. 

Ooh you're a brave man - you might want to pre-book in a massage place at your destination because you're going to need it after being in a Yaris for 5 hours! :eek: :laugh: 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links