Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

It's done, order confirmed RAV4 GR SPORT PHEV

Nick72

Went for pearl white bitone (black), moon roof. Was tempted by the Dacuma grey (like what I already have in the 2021 R4P) and tempted by the red bitone. Think it was the storm trooper black and white that swung it.

Just had the order confirmed with the Toyota fleet manager. Good guy, dealt with him first time around. No shannigans. I put the order in through our company car folks in Feb ish. Delivery early September. 

Will swap tyres to CC2s in October so I'll have 4 nearly new stock tyres I'll be selling for a lot less than half price if anyone wants them. 

Looking forward to the pan camera and higher resolution infotainment display most of all. And the slightly firmer handling in cornering.

At the end of the day it's still the only car that meets my list of requirements. Kia EV9 would have been a possibility if the range of the top spec model was another 100 miles greater. Or a Rivian truck with about 150 miles.

Will obviously be doing a comparison of lived experience between the two cars 2021 vs 2024 GR Sport. Will post here. Suspect the difference will be minor overall.

Apologies you'll be stuck with me for another 3 years from September.

Caveat being some serious health issues notwithstanding so you may well escape yet! 🤣 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Congrats on the new car. As regards health, take each day as it comes .....

• Like 2

You know it makes sense…… 

• Like 1

👍,

..... and breath.  Hope you are able to manage the health problems and that they don't become too taxing.  Happy to see you around for another 3 years.

• Like 2

Good luck with whatever the health situation is. Having had 3 separate cancer diagnosis in the past 15 months on top of living for 46 years with Crohn’s, I know what it feels like to have that weight on your shoulders. However stay positive, keep making plans for the future, don’t put life on hold. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Nick. 
I've been side-stepping a few serious health issues recently (late 40s), hence why I blew a load more money to get the GR PHEV instead of a car half the price, because we might as well enjoy life while we can. 

September isn't that far away either. Nearly June already!

• Like 2

Yeah it's mad.... is time moving a lot faster or is this just what getting old is like??!?! :eek:  :laugh: 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah it's mad.... is time moving a lot faster or is this just what getting old is like??!?! :eek:  :laugh: 

Yes, the space time continuum is accelerating exponentially, according to Fred the tank down at the spoons today at breakfast anyway.

Seriously though,my thoughts to the older guys on here who are not so well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks all for the kind words. Fit as a fiddle one year with only minor health issues and then a shed load of serious issues out of the blue. C'est la vie. I think there are a few of us in our 50s and 60s. I think it's the hospitals you know. Went in for some antibiotics and came out two weeks later with a shed load of undiagnosed major issues. Still, forewarned is forearmed. 

Looking forward to the car and everyone on the forum. Love you all. In a sort of brotherly and sisterly way. Nothing sexual. 🤣

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

Good luck with whatever the health situation is. Having had 3 separate cancer diagnosis in the past 15 months on top of living for 46 years with Crohn’s, I know what it feels like to have that weight on your shoulders. However stay positive, keep making plans for the future, don’t put life on hold. 

Tough gig that. Makes you reflect on what's important and what isn't. Fingers crossed for you mate. 

Tough on partners too. My wife is totally exhausted with it all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I'm going to be asking lots of questions when I get it, and experiencing deja vu. 🤣

All of the following no doubt made more complicated by the fact I already have a R4P 🤣

Do I need a new MyT App?

How do I register my car on it? 

How do I link or register the infotainment thing so it doesn't give all the spiel to read through every time you start the car? Or something like that. Recalling the faff.

How do I set up the auto parking brake mode off the Gear stick park or drive position? { Got that one }

How do I temporarily which off the annoying speeding bleep feature on new cars? 🤦

How do I use the pan camera system and set it up to automatically come on the info screen at low forward speeds (thinking ahead to the cliff edges in the mountains where this is useful, as much as avoiding curbing the wheels 😅)?

Best place to go to change the tyres over to CC2s? Toyota or a tyre place?

Anything I've probably missed?

• Like 1

Just on the annoying beeps which is permanently set to visual warning only on my current R4P, coming back on the M6 the other day, and the auto traffic sign thingy said 60mph. It said 60mph for about 50 miles. Yet at no stage was there a 60mph. Never, nada. It was 70mph. Now that would totally drive me totally nuts if I forget to switch it off on the new car. Or maybe it's an upgraded version? 🤦🤷

• Like 1

I had a strange one the other day very close to my home. As I’ve indicated before most of the local roads around me are 20mph, these are very rarely signed as such but the car system registered one as 10mph? No signs at all just the car making it up on the fly?? Beeped and the dash showed 10mph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ernieb said:

Beeped and the dash showed 10mph.

I had this too a couple weeks ago - no where near any 10 signs/roads.
Must've been a Man U or Liverpool footy shirt on a pedestrian.
The RSA is a terrible system. Needs to be a way to report so the system can learn that the map speed is more accurate than the 'seen' signs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Do I need a new MyT App?

The app is called My Toyota now, and you shouldn't need a new one if you have that. New car should appear in the app and you can switch to it. 
(Not sure how/when the old car is removed though). 

Toyota should do that for you when you're registered with them as the new owner - just make sure your email details are correct (match the app login) on the order form. 

How do I link or register the infotainment thing

Easiest is to allow the app to use your phones camera and scan a QR code displayed on the cars screen. Not tried it any other way. You can disable the camera permission for app afterwards. 

How do I temporarily which off the annoying speeding bleep feature

Set speed change notification under RSA menu to visual only - this stays permanently.
Speed limit exceeded warning can only be done temporarily for each new journey, under the RSA menu again, and then only when stationary/speed <1mph

How do I use the pan camera system

Turns on automatically on reverse gear.
Can be enabled at low speeds (can't remember for sure, maybe <~10mph) by pressing button on cluster to lower right of steering wheel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, P_J said:

The app is called My Toyota now, and you shouldn't need a new one if you have that. New car should appear in the app and you can switch to it. 
(Not sure how/when the old car is removed though). 

Toyota should do that for you when you're registered with them as the new owner - just make sure your email details are correct (match the app login) on the order form. 

Easiest is to allow the app to use your phones camera and scan a QR code displayed on the cars screen. Not tried it any other way. You can disable the camera permission for app afterwards. 

Set speed change notification under RSA menu to visual only - this stays permanently.
Speed limit exceeded warning can only be done temporarily for each new journey, under the RSA menu again, and then only when stationary/speed <1mph

Turns on automatically on reverse gear.
Can be enabled at low speeds (can't remember for sure, maybe <~10mph) by pressing button on cluster to lower right of steering wheel. 

Top work PJ. Thank you. Saved!

Always get a little anxious about these things. 

17 hours ago, ernieb said:

I had a strange one the other day very close to my home. As I’ve indicated before most of the local roads around me are 20mph, these are very rarely signed as such but the car system registered one as 10mph? No signs at all just the car making it up on the fly?? Beeped and the dash showed 10mph.

It's bizarre sometimes Ernie. I'm hoping that given I'll forget to mute it for a drive (given the new rules) that somehow it has been improved on the 2024 model on the image recognition front. I could be dreaming!

• Like 1

The very best I’ve experienced is the Subaru XV, which also used HQ stereo cameras for instead of a radar head unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P_J said:
18 hours ago, Nick72 said:

But Nick isn't / won't be the new owner! Normally, if there is such a thing as normal, the dealer would set things up before the owner takes delivery of the car and that won't be the case here.

IIRC you register the car via the VIN into your My Toyota account and then need to supply the correct mileage (probably to show that you actually have the car in question).

When last I registered an infotainment system (2020) I didn't - rather, I let it register itself to my My Toyota account by providing the account details to the infotainment system while sat in the car. That seemed to save a lot of faff (but that was with the earlier system)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, philip42h said:

But Nick isn't / won't be the new owner! Normally, if there is such a thing as normal, the dealer would set things up before the owner takes delivery of the car and that won't be the case here.

IIRC you register the car via the VIN into your My Toyota account and then need to supply the correct mileage (probably to show that you actually have the car in question).

When last I registered an infotainment system (2020) I didn't - rather, I let it register itself to my My Toyota account by providing the account details to the infotainment system while sat in the car. That seemed to save a lot of faff (but that was with the earlier system)

That rings a bell Philip! I recall the faff with anxiety. Think it took about 2 weeks of back n forth. 

I would spend as much time with the salesperson as you can, and don't leave until you're happy with everything, just hoping you get someone who knows their stuff, including sorting out things in the mytoyota app and registering whatever smartphone you've got.  One thing you must check before driving off is the Seat Memory function is activated - it's a simple procedure to do this by going fully fwd, back, up, down etc.  Download the Owners Manual and Navigation Manual, about 900 pages to read to send you to sleep!  Good luck - we like ours, which in most areas is an improvement over our previous Dynamic Premium, except the SatNav and Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) which we're still getting used to, as well as all the new "bings" and "bongs"!

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links