Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Parking Sensors freaking out

VeniVidiReverse

Hello,

I've got a question regarding phantom sensor detection. When I turned the car in the morning today after a stormy 36hrs my front 2 parking sensors are constantly detecting ghosts, which in turn disables all sensors once you drive off, and disables parking assist. The car is also nice enough to keep re-activating the warning popup in the middle of the dash despite me dismissing it and the warning lights blinking, which is distracting at best.

Has anyone experinced something similar before?
The phantom detection shifted from Front-Left to now Front-Right and sometimes both constantly at 2nd bar (distance never changes, just which sensors) by the time we came back from a gym.

I ran over a deep-ish puddle yesterday when dropping gf off at work in the morning but only with left side of the car, and the car was fine during pickup on same route later after she finished.

Any advice appreciated.

possibly a faulty sensor? Mine was similar after the free wash at the dealers, they blasted the front with a power washer and water must have got into one of the sensors. They changed it and was ok afterwards.

Sometimes dirt, debris, wet leaves etc can interfere with the sensors.

I used to get this occasionally on a previous car that had been highly waxed, water/wax on the sensors would set them off first thing when it had been raining. It didn't happen in the dry.

It died out after a few months, the sensors are sensitive to wax/chemicals so you could try gently cleaning them with clean water - I think the manual might say not to use products on them but some valeting just smothers them in chemicals.

Update:

72HRS after the issue appeared, it resolved itself fully. I blame a butt-ton of water on M62 and that our parking spot is on a slight incline, since we reverse-park nose-down, potentially causing any liquids around the front bumper to flow towards sensors.

I also found that the car has an odly rusted bonnet release (it's only 5 years old) which siezes after opening & requires a manual shove with a screwdriver to latch properly. Makes me wonder if there's been some leaks in the hood area or someone washed the engine with whatever opposite of Coke is.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links