Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris hybrid headgasket

m1sac

Hi.

Was after a bit of information from Auris hybrid owners.

I am trying to decide between a Auris Hybrid and a Prius Gen 3.

I have read so many forums that the Prius Gen 3 has blown headgasket problems. Forums mainly seem to be in USA 

I was hoping some owners of the Auris could let me know if they also have had this issue as have not come across any forums on them.  Considering they share same engine components I would of thought so

Thanks in advance 

It has the same engine in both cars, US cars have very different specs, have a lot longer service intervals and lower grade fuel, tbh most US car get driven till they fall in half in some states as there is no MOT equivalent if there is its a joke (New york state and Illinois spring to mind)

• Like 1

Hi Isac,i haven't read or heard any reports of head gasket problems with the Auris hybrid in the UK but I have also read the Prius gen 3 head gasket problem in the USA.:smile:

• Like 1

Head gasket on any engine will fail eventually with age/ mileage. In uk seems like cars can last long, at least 250k +, my Auris hybrid is 275000 miles and it’s ok for now. 

• Like 3

Many thanks for the replies 

My first choice would of been the prius plus. 7 seater import from Japan but the headgasket issue is making me have second thoughts but did like the option of the 7 seats.

Now I'm leaning towards auris estate and was checking if they also have same issue.

Would be good to know if the japan import ones are any different. Better or worse etc 

Hi Isac,

Prius+ Head Gasket Issue,earlier Models (2010-2015). these are more prone to head gasket failures due to a potential design flaw. Symptoms include coolant leaks, oil consumption changes, and engine misfires.

Japan Imports,there's no inherent difference between US and Japan imported Prius+ models regarding the head gasket. Both could be susceptible if they fall within the vulnerable year range.Hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 2

Car care nut did a video in which he showed the improved gasket used in later engine, also there was a firmware reflash to make the water pump operate more to reduce temperature spikes or hotspots, so you're probably safe with a post 2015 model. There's also the modified piston rings after 2015 to reduce oil burning 

• Like 4

Many thanks for replies 

My budget doesn't stretch to the post 2015 models and was looking at around 2013 model 

So do we think that an Auris hybrid would suffer from same problems or are they designed differently 

I don't know first hand but in America the problems kick in after 120 k miles and there's a theory that egr system getting blocked with carbon causes overheating and may damage gasket. If you get one with anything like 100k, check and clean out the egr cooler, if you get a much lower mileage car and it's been serviced properly, particularly oil changes it's probably ok. Why not ask one or two taxi drivers? There's a reason they all use them! Interestingly, I bought spark plugs at dealer recently and he mentioned that taxi drivers often change plugs at 30k. He didn't know why as 60k is recommended 

• Like 2

Yeah that would of been the plan if I do go ahead and get the Prius plus.  My plan would be to keep my next vehicle for minimum 5 plus years and need looking for that peace of mind that I won't get a hefty repair bill.  I accept that nothing is guaranteed but trying to minimise the chances

And if the Auris doesn't have this as a known issue maybe better off with that instead 

17 minutes ago, m1sac said:

And if the Auris doesn't have this as a known issue maybe better off with that instead 

Auris it’s a safe bet and there is no difference between Prius, Auris or Lexus CT200h engines as they all have same power train.
If any of these cars been well maintained, and you continue to do so it will last you a good more years to come. However you  are buying an old car and there are always some risks associated. Generally speaking your main concern should be the hybrid Battery and not the head gasket or anything else. 
New Battery cost £1500 plus £500 to fit in if you can’t do it yourself. Anything else outside original Toyota Battery it’s not a good idea and it will fail shortly after.
⚠️All those mechanics who claim they fit new cells are actually fitting olde ones. ⚠️🪫
Hybrid batteries  like all other batteries does go bad with time, not only with mileage. On any Toyota Lexus cars post 10 years old this will be the first thing to fail or likely to fail and if outsiders warranty you know the prices. 
Toyota uk gives warranty for the hybrids battery up to 15 years if you service your car within official dealer network, this does not work every time and depending on how much you drive, also taxis and businesses vehicles with high mileage aren’t included. 

• Like 3

I was under the same impression re the Prius Auris and Lexus, but came across dozens upon dozens of headhasket issues on Gen 3 prius a few on lexus and zero on the Auris, hence me seeking some help from kind people like yourselves.

From my limited knowledge batteries seem to be holding up well as long as they are kept cool and filter replaced regularly.

Thanks once again and hope more replies are added so I can gain as much information as possible 

• Like 1

Most of the head gasket issues come from USA where Auris was not available and they had only Prius hybrid, Corolla non hybrids and later ct200h which were also affected by these issues.
Most likely egr system blocked, the e10 petrol which is a modern engine killer. , hot climates. 
Here I have shared my personal experience with my Auris from 2010, I had many more posts that might be interesting to you to read. 👍

I believe you have two major things to worry about 

1. Hybrid battery- they last but they also degrade with time even if you don’t drive too much 

2. Catalytic converter theft 

• Like 2

Thanks will check out link.   I am aware of cat theft and would probably get one of those protectors. Think they sell for around £40

If auris not available in USA that does explain why no forums.

Still undecided on what to do in regards to which out of 2 to go for.

If I'm.being honest I don't like the aesthetics of the auris estate and do like the option of 7 sears on prius plus. But reliability and long term usage is higher on my list of how to decide 

Ugly cars are a Toyota speciality 🤪 . I don't particularly like the look of the auris but still got one and love it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't say ugly, but certainly understated and generic.

From the current models, I'm hoping they've realized they are allowed to design some personality into their cars and continue to do so :laugh: 

I was thinking of the gen 4 Prius and chr as the ultimate in ugliness! That of course is just my view and others will find them the last word in elegance 😂. I'm more for non fussy clean designs  

I had a few Priuses before, three standard gen3 and two Plus 7 seaters. Both models are practical and very good cars.
Auris gen2 it’s ok, I personally think that Auris gen1 hybrid t spirirt is one of the better Toyota hybrids, unfortunately too old and rarely something well preserved is available, and again if it is the hybrid Battery will be certainly a problem and it will need replacement. I don’t see why are you worrying about Prius and build quality or engine problems? Auris aren’t any better, they are same. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links