Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First hybrid plug in that I drive

Moritz10

Hello, everyone. I am glad to be part of this large group of enthusiasts Toyota fans. I drove till now especially diesel Honda cars , but now I want to test a Prius plug in hybrid 2020. Being a kind of hypermiling guy when I drove diesel, I want and I ask you, to give me some advices about how to drive and what to do in different situation. Usually I drive in town, I charge the car at home, I drive very calm, but I need to know from you, which driving  mode to choose for best efficiency, how to change between EV, EV city or HV, how to use efficient the ICE to charge the Battery and other stuff like this. I appreciate your help and thanks.

Leave the car to do its own thing. It is really very good at managing itself.

The basic rule for maximum mpg is to drive smoothly, and not over fast. EV driving is especially sensitive to speed

If you can charge at home on an EV tariff you can get really good mpg. I've seen the maximum 999 mpg several hundred miles after filling up. However that drops really fast when you start using petrol.

On long journeys, when very little was electric only. I would still expect around 80 mpg.

I had a diesel Civic before switching to a Prius in 2008. Other than an EV, I would not drive anything other than a Toyota hybrid

• Like 1

If you drive it like you drove your diesel you'll be off to a decent start, but there are many ways to drive the hybrids to get good mpg.

The obvious ones are to accelerate gently.

My style is all about momentum conservation, so I tend to accelerate quite briskly, but will coast that speed for as long as possible, which requires a lot awareness, fore-planning and look-ahead to time e.g. when I arrive at traffic lights or traffic, or the speed I'm at when I arrive at a corner. On a good day I can coast the car so far and judge my speed so that I slow down naturally without having to brake when I arrive at traffic, and have enough buffer I don't need to stop and can just pick it up again as it moves off.

I also try to pick routes with shorter steeper up-hills and long shallow downhills - This lets the engine run for the shortest time possible on the up-hill while letting the car coast on the electrics for as long as possible on the down-hill part. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links