Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Android auto and Google maps.

SDR

I have a little question for anyone using the above.   Especially on a post 2023 facelift car as I think that the central multimedia screen may be different. 

When I have Google maps displayed the cursor/car is always towards the left side of the screen.    Which is fine if I am driving East and not so fine if I am driving West.   Of course, I can manually centre my car on the screen, but then the map doesn't move, etc..   As soon as I press the 'centre' button on the screen, the car location moves back to the left side of the screen. 

To be clear, this is just with the map displayed, not when using it for navigation;   and it is displayed 'North up'.   Also, it never does this on my phone, so it's something to do with AA and/or the car.   I can't find anything in settings anywhere that could be relevant. 

Anyone any ideas please?

Is that with the map full screen or with another app running on the screen? I will have a look next time I go anywhere but I can't deal with north up usually as it does my head in.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

Is that with the map full screen or with another app running on the screen? I will have a look next time I go anywhere but I can't deal with north up usually as it does my head in.

Yes, with map full screen.    I guess that I prefer North up because that's how proper maps are 🙂and I've been using proper maps for years!    I'd be interested to know if yours is the same, though, if you'd be kind enough to have a look.   I'm thinking that it's probably a quirk of the system but it is annoying. 

try waze.

• Like 1

Mine is a 21 model. Doesn't matter if it's Android auto, Carplay, Google maps or Waze; all combinations work perfectly fine. Haven't had any issues with other cars on hire, either. I would try a different phone. If that behaves the same way then I would suggest it's an issue with the infotainment system.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

Mine is a 21 model. Doesn't matter if it's Android auto, Carplay, Google maps or Waze; all combinations work perfectly fine. Haven't had any issues with other cars on hire, either. I would try a different phone. If that behaves the same way then I would suggest it's an issue with the infotainment system.

Thanks for that.   I haven't tried it with Waze yet, or when actually using Google maps for navigation (just with the mapping displayed);   if it works OK for navigation then it won't be a problem. 

It just seems like an odd thing that it places the car off centre to the left of the screen so I was wondering if it was my phone/car or whether everyone else has the same experience.  I think that the multimedia screen changed with the MY23 facelift (although not sure);   so waiting to see what Corolly Poly finds...

15 hours ago, SDR said:

I have a little question for anyone using the above.   Especially on a post 2023 facelift car as I think that the central multimedia screen may be different. 

When I have Google maps displayed the cursor/car is always towards the left side of the screen.    Which is fine if I am driving East and not so fine if I am driving West.   Of course, I can manually centre my car on the screen, but then the map doesn't move, etc..   As soon as I press the 'centre' button on the screen, the car location moves back to the left side of the screen. 

To be clear, this is just with the map displayed, not when using it for navigation;   and it is displayed 'North up'.   Also, it never does this on my phone, so it's something to do with AA and/or the car.   I can't find anything in settings anywhere that could be relevant. 

Anyone any ideas please?

Hi @SDR

Just been to have a look. with GM full screen and set to N up the car position is about 1/3 in from the left. If I run another app on the screen the car is then central in the smaller display of GM

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SDR said:

It just seems like an odd thing that it places the car off centre to the left of the screen

I had a look this morning to see if I could replicate the issue.

I think Google maps puts things over to the left to place the controls, the search and route options and so on, closer to the driver.

It seems it's not really an issue if you navigate using 3D / dynamic view but it's certainly a bit of an issue with North Up mode.

I couldn't use it like that though, at least on a real map you could turn it around to orient it to the direction you're traveling. 😂

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

Hi @SDR

Just been to have a look. with GM full screen and set to N up the car position is about 1/3 in from the left. If I run another app on the screen the car is then central in the smaller display of GM

Thank you very much for trying it.   It seems that what you have found is the same as mine.   Oh well...

Poor software design IMHO.   It rather looks as if it has been set up to run GM alongside another app;   but if GM is run full screen the layout doesn't compensate 💩

12 minutes ago, Extreme_One said:

I had a look this morning to see if I could replicate the issue.

I think Google maps puts things over to the left to place the controls, the search and route options and so on, closer to the driver.

It seems it's not really an issue if you navigate using 3D / dynamic view but it's certainly a bit of an issue with North Up mode.

I couldn't use it like that though, at least on a real map you could turn it around to orient it to the direction you're traveling. 😂

Thanks for looking;   I now have two confirmations that my setup is how it is, even if I don't like it!

I thought that it might be OK for actual navigation but, so far, I have only been using it on routes that I know (so no need for instructions!).

It rather looks as if I am out of step in preferring North up rather than 'direction of travel' up (although I use direction of travel if actually navigating).

You have to go into GOOGLE MAPS to change the settings, click on your profile photo and then settings, then navigation settings, scroll down and there is a slider to check KEEP MAP NORTH UP

or watch this video 

On 5/30/2024 at 8:51 AM, 2badmice said:

You have to go into GOOGLE MAPS to change the settings, click on your profile photo and then settings, then navigation settings, scroll down and there is a slider to check KEEP MAP NORTH UP

or watch this video 

Err, thanks, but I already have 'North up'.   I was just saying that I seemed to be in a minority of one in preferring it to 'direction of travel'.

Google maps setting has an option, instructions on Driver's side or passengers side.   It defaults to Drivers side.

Next time I will have a look.

On 5/24/2024 at 3:01 PM, SDR said:

It rather looks as if I am out of step in preferring North up rather than 'direction of travel' up (although I use direction of travel if actually navigating).

Not at all.  North up is best for orientation in strange areas. In London I know where I want to go so I prefer North up.

On the continent,  while drive up will direct me OK, North up is better for sense of direction. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Google maps setting has an option, instructions on Driver's side or passengers side.   It defaults to Drivers side.

Next time I will have a look.

With Android Auto and Google Maps displayed, select the screen that gives you all the icons like on your phone.

Now select Settings and scroll down to the map settings.  It defaults to drivers side, you can then select left or right.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links