Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Safety Tests of Premium, Mid-Range & Budget

dannyboy413

I always buy premium tyres, usually Michelin, but have bought Continental on occasion - my C-HR is running on Michelin Energy as OE.  For many years I have always changed my tyres when the tread pattern reaches a depth of 3mm.  This practice came about after watching a Continental video which showed the rapid loss of braking and steering quality.  The graph showed a steepening curve as the tread depth progressed below the 3mm mark.

I just cannot understand where the government arrived at a permissible tread depth of 1.6 mm.  At this depth, in heavy rain, there is a significant risk of a front wheel aquaplaning, and that brings loss of directional control.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

I just cannot understand where the government arrived at a permissible tread depth of 1.6 mm.  At this depth, in heavy rain, there is a significant risk of a front wheel aquaplaning, and that brings loss of directional control.

Easy, a 60% improvement over the original 1 mm.

I remember within days of it becoming law our OC Engineering had his official Mini parked outside.  I didn't need a tread depth gauge to check his tyres; there was not even the impression of a tread on any tyre.

It was now illegal for him to make the 20 miles back to base.  He was not best pleased when I pointed it out.

• Haha 3

Pity Point S haven't included which tyre brands they tested, and published some detail on results.

• Like 3

In the case of premium brands, I think they would use similar raw materials, and the tyre be built in the same manner.  Building a tyre, prior to vulcanisation, is a highly skill job, and watching one being built is quite interesting.

• Like 3

Not going to make any difference to me. I usually buy budget tyres although I will say that the ones I've got at present are unusually rubbish in the wet and will be changed as soon as I can afford it. I don't drive aggressively so high performance is not an issue. In 40 years of motoring I've never had an accident that has been down to the tyres. A moment's inattention yes.

• Like 2

We've had what are considered in the UK to be mid range tyres as well as premium tyres (all summer tyres) fitted as original equipment on the new cars we've had. Eg. Bridgestone, Toyo, Continental, Kumho, and Michelin. None have been outstanding as regards wear or performance.

• Like 3

Tyre test invariably test maximum braking, cornering etc. How many of us drive on the limit? I certainly don't, but I also don't buy budget tyres although in my youth, Avon tyres were considered a budget tyre and are now edging the premium tyre market. I have always put on the best tyres I can afford over the years.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crickleymal said:

Not going to make any difference to me. I usually buy budget tyres although I will say that the ones I've got at present are unusually rubbish in the wet and will be changed as soon as I can afford it. I don't drive aggressively so high performance is not an issue. In 40 years of motoring I've never had an accident that has been down to the tyres. A moment's inattention yes.

Sorry,but I’m afraid you have contradicted yourself there, Malcolm. You say it isn’t going to make any difference to you, yet you openly admit that your present tyres are rubbish in the wet.  You do not need to drive aggressively or have a high performance car to run into trouble. If another driver did something silly and forced you to brake hard, premium tyres v. Budget ones could make all the difference between escaping a collision or having one.

Most of the time, we all take our tyres for granted, as the only time they really matter is in an emergency response.

A vehicle’s contact with the road is roughly equal to four spots the size of a man’s hand, and for this we demand safe and positive behaviour in all conditions. A car can only perform with maximum safety if we put premium tyres on it.

Please consider your own safety, and that of others, when choosing tyres.  Don’t let the budget tyre makers put your safety at risk.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links