Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Listers Protech Ceramic treatment

MrBee

Hi

Was discussing a change to the PHEV with the dealer and he included Listers Protech Ceramic in quote. 

It's a crazy price, about £800. 

My option in the past about these products is the are basically snake oil and make the dealers probably over £500 in profit. 

Any thoughts? 

• Like 2

Hi Stephen,Ceramic coatings can offer benefits, but not magic protection. A well maintained car with good quality wax will also look great.£800 is a big dealer mark up so I would decline the offer. Hope this helps.:smile: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Your choice. If you don't want it, decline.

I bet if you decline the dealer will suddenly offer a one time only cheaper price, I had a paint protection on mine , I initially refused but they dropped the price so I agreed, would I have it again?, probably not, I like polishing my car and it looks just as good..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From a dealer it's a rip off and unlikely to be done properly.

Just google car detailers in your area and you will find one that will do it properly for around the same money.

I have never had it done but if done properly can be a good product.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MC1216 said:

From a dealer it's a rip off and unlikely to be done properly.

Rip off, to an extent as they have to pay for the show room, free coffee and papers 😄

Unlikely done properly?  On what evidence?  As likely as not it will be done off site. 

My previous and current cars have Listers but I don't think they have offered it for the next.  Same with dent and paint.  I had a long scrape and a slight puncture dent- despite paying the premium there was still a £36 excess.

• Like 1

To do it properly i would want to see the facilities they use...i.e a proper booth with full lighting to show up any swirls/paint correction etc.

I would want to know the product they use and how long they say it takes to ceramic coat...most take 24/72 hours to cure.

If they farm the work out then i would want to know the detailer they use as i am sure if you went to them directly it would be cheaper.

I don't think any add ons (upselling products) from a dealer are better than what you can buy elsewhere but at a better and cheaper price...GAP insurance paint protection/alloy wheel protection etc etc.

After 40 years of buying cars you can tell i have no time for dealers...i buy the car and look for the add ons elsewhere.

• Like 4

My dealer did mine by accident even though I said I didn't want it. In my view its more trouble than its worth as it takes more looking after than just being able to give the car a standard polish. It might protect the paint a bit but keeping it looking shiny and avoiding swirls, etc is much harder work than a wash and polish of a non coated car.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

My dealer did mine by accident even though I said I didn't want it. In my view its more trouble than its worth as it takes more looking after than just being able to give the car a standard polish. It might protect the paint a bit but keeping it looking shiny and avoiding swirls, etc is much harder work than a wash and polish of a non coated car.

I had a similar situation with my current Rav4. When I picked it up March 2020, the dealer said it had been treated by mistake. 

Not sure if that was true or not. But last year, due to 4 weeks of an unusual NE winds, the car got completely covered on disgusting lime tree sap. It was really bad - I was quite worried about the effect on the paint. But I jetted and cleaned the car and it came up well. Could this have been the coating I may have had 3 years before? Not sure. 

• Like 2

Another dealer add on scam. Will be applied poorly and probably not even worth a fraction of the quoted cost. IF you were going to get something like this done then I would suggest looking up professional detailers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It can be good but you're better off getting a professional detailer to do it as they will do a much better job and it'll probably be cheaper.

Mine was supposed to have Supagard applied by the dealer but it was very clear it hadn't, but thankfully Supagard stood by their guarantee and sent one of their own franchised people to do it properly.

It stopped being noticeably hydrophobic after maybe 6 months but it did make removing e.g. bird poop easier. The effect has diminished over time.

A good coating will help protect the soft lacquer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit off topic, but I also asked the dealer about a Dashcam. Seems they are still supplying Nextbase 380gw - the same model I got March 2020. 

1 hour ago, MrBee said:

A bit off topic, but I also asked the dealer about a dashcam. Seems they are still supplying Nextbase 380gw - the same model I got March 2020. 

Yes, that's what they put in mine. I have heard it may be something to do with corporate customers wanting dashcams locked down and this one has that facility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s not a rip off if it’s done by a professional detailer using top ceramic coatings and I doubt many, if any dealers, would have this accreditation or the ability to do the work ‘in-house’.

It’s not cheap as the whole car has to be cleaned, prepped and professionally mopped to prepare the paint and the ceramic coating needs to be carefully and professionally applied indoors and left to cure overnight, so it’s a 2 day process. They should treat the wheels, glass and the interior as well.

As soon as my GR Sport arrives, it’s going to my local Gtechniq detailer (wouldn’t use any other ceramic coating) and the price you have been quoted is about right for a 5-9 year guarantee. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I struck while the iron was hot, rang for a quote for exterior ceramic coating to last 3 years.

It will be done here, the car can be undercover once done.  YC £180

Of note, I was the third person to call him today.

PS

Only asked for 3 years on account of a plan to replace the car after that and my age.

I wouldn't let a dealer put any kind of coating on my car. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links