Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

replacing OEM alloy wheels

brainii

Hi everyone.

A couple of questions. I'm thinking to replace the stock alloys which according to the manual are: 16x7J. The replacement wheels come from my old Honda Accord (2006 model) and are size: 17x7JJ and are of the same age, but in pretty good shape, and spin straight and true, apart from normal cosmetic wear and tear (not bend or anything).

1) Are these a direct fit? (the corolla manual says it's 17" wheels are supposed to be 17x7.5J). The existing wheels will go back on the Accord assuming they are interchangeable.

2) What do I do about the tyre pressure sensors? Can I carry them over to the old wheels?

3) Will things like tachometer change/need adjusting?

4) Is this a good idea in your opinion?

The reason I want to do that is because going to 17" allows for much better tyre options, performance wise.

Thanks

Would probably need to inform your insurer of the change, as may be considered a modification.

Depending what tyres are fitted, the effect on the speedometer would need to be checked  - there are websites to enable you to do this - 're whether the speedometer would under read (illegal) or over read.

Presumably the Corolla 1.5 is an import from Japan?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Would probably need to inform your insurer of the change, as may be considered a modification.

Depending what tyres are fitted, the effect on the speedometer would need to be checked  - there are websites to enable you to do this - 're whether the speedometer would under read (illegal) or over read.

Presumably the Corolla 1.5 is an import from Japan?

the corolla was bought brand new from dealership. made in the Netherlands i believe.

1) Impossible to say without more information. 17x7.5J is a diameter and offset, but doesn't tell you about the bolt pattern and PCD (pitch circle diameter). It must be the same.

2) I would think so, yes.

3)You mean the speedometer? It depends on how much the circumference of the whole wheel, including the tyre, changes. And that depends on which tyres you fit. If you choose tyres with the right width and profile to give the same circumference as the originals, the speed reading will not be affected.

4) Depends on what you want from the car. I have 17s on mine as OEM and I find it just slightly on the harsh side, but handling response is good. If handling is your main goal and you don't mind losing a little comfort, possibly having to pay more insurance because of the modification etc., then it could be a good idea, but only if your wheel and tyre combination is fully compatible. I would not be tempted to use anything that doesn't fit properly just because it's what I have.

• Like 2

Corollas for the European market are either built in the UK (hatchback and Touring Sport) or Turkey (saloon). As far as I'm aware the Corolla was never offered as a 1.5 in Europe ..... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

1) Impossible to say without more information. 17x7.5J is a diameter and offset, but doesn't tell you about the bolt pattern and PCD (pitch circle diameter). It must be the same.

2) I would think so, yes.

3)You mean the speedometer? It depends on how much the circumference of the whole wheel, including the tyre, changes. And that depends on which tyres you fit. If you choose tyres with the right width and profile to give the same circumference as the originals, the speed reading will not be affected.

4) Depends on what you want from the car. I have 17s on mine as OEM and I find it just slightly on the harsh side, but handling response is good. If handling is your main goal and you don't mind losing a little comfort, possibly having to pay more insurance because of the modification etc., then it could be a good idea, but only if your wheel and tyre combination is fully compatible. I would not be tempted to use anything that doesn't fit properly just because it's what I have.

so, I'm thinking the easy way to check bolt pattern and PCD is to compare the bolts (if they hand spin/fit correctly on the studs?) and the if hole sizes of the actual rims are the same/close enough, and the stud lengh is the same, basically if the bolts are interchangeable with both alloys and studs on both cars?

The ride right now is pretty good, the car absorbs bumps very well, and feels soft but not too soft. I do like a slightly sportier/snappier feeling (but not rock hard/feeling every little bump).

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Corollas for the European market are either built in the UK (hatchback and Touring Sport) or Turkey (saloon). As far as I'm aware the Corolla was never offered as a 1.5 in Europe ..... 

looking up the vin online it says Toyota Turkey, and it is the 1.5 saloon yes. I don't know why I thought it was Netherlands 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brainii said:

so, I'm thinking the easy way to check bolt pattern and PCD is to compare the bolts (if they hand spin/fit correctly on the studs?) and the if hole sizes of the actual rims are the same/close enough, and the stud lengh is the same, basically if the bolts are interchangeable with both alloys and studs on both cars?

The ride right now is pretty good, the car absorbs bumps very well, and feels soft but not too soft. I do like a slightly sportier/snappier feeling (but not rock hard/feeling every little bump).

It's not so easy to take measurements on a 5-stud pattern so, yes, just try one on and make sure all 5 studs can sit dead centre within their hole at the same time. Also make sure the studs poke through far enough compared to the OE wheels.

The tyres will give you the overall diameter of the wheel so that you can keep it similar. The depth of the sidewall is a percentage of the width: calculate this in mm and then multiply it by 2 to get the effect on the diameter, then convert the rim from inches to mm and add it all up. For example, mine has 225/45 R17 tyres, so:

225 x 0.45 x 2 + (17 x 25.4) = 634.3mm

I'm guessing your 16s are fitted with 225 /50 - this would give a size very close to mine:

225 x 0.5 x 2 + (16 x 25.4) = 631.4 mm

Effect on speedo accuracy would be (634.3 - 631.4) / 631.4 x 100 = 0.46%. This is way below the error that's engineered in to make sure you can't speed without knowing about it - I find mine reads about 6% more than my true speed.

33 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

It's not so easy to take measurements on a 5-stud pattern so, yes, just try one on and make sure all 5 studs can sit dead centre within their hole at the same time. Also make sure the studs poke through far enough compared to the OE wheels.

The tyres will give you the overall diameter of the wheel so that you can keep it similar. The depth of the sidewall is a percentage of the width: calculate this in mm and then multiply it by 2 to get the effect on the diameter, then convert the rim from inches to mm and add it all up. For example, mine has 225/45 R17 tyres, so:

225 x 0.45 x 2 + (17 x 25.4) = 634.3mm

I'm guessing your 16s are fitted with 225 /50 - this would give a size very close to mine:

225 x 0.5 x 2 + (16 x 25.4) = 631.4 mm

Effect on speedo accuracy would be (634.3 - 631.4) / 631.4 x 100 = 0.46%. This is way below the error that's engineered in to make sure you can't speed without knowing about it - I find mine reads about 6% more than my true speed.

Current tyres (also OEM tyre size for 17s on the Corolla) on the Accord are indeed the same: 225/45 R17, this is why I thought it'd be an easy exchange. Looks like it's not that simple 🙂

4 hours ago, brainii said:

Current tyres (also OEM tyre size for 17s on the Corolla) on the Accord are indeed the same: 225/45 R17, this is why I thought it'd be an easy exchange. Looks like it's not that simple 🙂

You can use this website to find your cars makes and models and compare wheels sizes https://www.wheel-size.com

Then compare here for how they fit on the car 

https://www.willtheyfit.com

Can you take a pictures of your engine and share please, 1.5 new Corolla it’s interesting, is it 3 cylinder Yaris engine installed? 
Thanks 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Can you take a pictures of your engine and share please, 1.5 new Corolla it’s interesting, is it 3 cylinder Yaris engine installed? 
Thanks 

I think it will be the M15 engine, a 3 cyl variant of the dynamic force series. So it's basically the same as the 2.0 unit that we have in the UK market, but with one less cylinder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Dynamic_Force_engine#M15C-FKS?wprov=sfla1

• Like 2

On 5/31/2024 at 3:52 PM, TonyHSD said:

You can use this website to find your cars makes and models and compare wheels sizes https://www.wheel-size.com

Thanks 

the engine is this:

M15A-FKS

And yes, it is 3 cylinders (and I don't like the noise it produces 🙂 )

On 5/31/2024 at 3:52 PM, TonyHSD said:

Thanks 

the 2nd website has "offset" that I don't know it's meaning, value or importance.

The first website has these about the 2 cars:

Corolla (Altis) 2022:
Center Bore / Hub Bore: 54.1 mm
Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x100
Wheel Fasteners: Lug nuts
Thread Size: M12 x 1.5

Accord (Euro) 2006:
Center Bore / Hub Bore: 64.1 mm
Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x114.3 (5x4.5)

Reading more about PCD from previous post and online it seems that different PCD simply doesn't work (in other words, the old rims won't match the new studs, / won't be able to put them at all on the car.

Ahh, shame, another "dream" down the drain 🙂
🙂

43 minutes ago, brainii said:

the 2nd website has "offset" that I don't know it's meaning, value or importance.

The first website has these about the 2 cars:

Corolla (Altis) 2022:
Center Bore / Hub Bore: 54.1 mm
Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x100

Accord (Euro) 2006:

Reading more about PCD from previous post and online it seems that different PCD simply doesn't work (in other words, the old rims won't match the new studs, / won't be able to put them at all on the car.

Ahh, shame, another "dream" down the drain 🙂
🙂

Corolla in uk  has different parameters, they match the accord Europe , the second one you have posted. 

Accord (Euro) 2006:

Corolla/ Altus for Asian market probably 

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Corolla in uk  has different parameters, they match the accord Europe , the second one you have posted. 

Accord (Euro) 2006:

Corolla/ Altus for Asian market probably 

I think it's a Turkish spec car, so half Asian! 😆

When I look it up, I get the same stud pattern as the Accord wheels, which makes sense, I very much doubt that they would mix and match hub designs around the world. The centre bore is smaller at 60.1mm but that won't stop the Accord wheels from fitting, it would just mean you're relying on the nuts to locate the wheel precisely, but I think that would be OK with tapered nuts. You can also buy reducing collars for wheels that have an oversize bore.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

The centre bore is smaller at 60.1mm but that won't stop the Accord wheels from fitting, it would just mean you're relying on the nuts to locate the wheel precisely, but I think that would be OK with tapered nuts. You can also buy reducing collars for wheels that have an oversize bore.

Surely this would mean that Accord wheels, with smaller centre bore, will not sit securely located against the Corolla wheel hubs?  In my (inexpert) opinion this will put stress upon the wheel centre when bolted up, and only the bolts themselves will be locating the wheels.  Not for me thank you.  Proceed with extreme caution.

12 hours ago, Talking Houbik said:

Surely this would mean that Accord wheels, with smaller centre bore, will not sit securely located against the Corolla wheel hubs?  In my (inexpert) opinion this will put stress upon the wheel centre when bolted up, and only the bolts themselves will be locating the wheels.  Not for me thank you.  Proceed with extreme caution.

The Corolla wheel has a 60.1mm centre bore. Accord is 64.1mm.

thanks for the replies guys. wheels will stay as they are.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links