Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iam

sclark

Any1 else done the Advanced Drivers test? just passed mine the other day, fun driving about for 90min wiht a policeman in your car :unsure: . Don't think it will make a difference to my insurance atm as me and my car are on my dad's company's insurance

You talking about the pass plus or something completely different??

Iv done my pass plus and it halfed my insurance :thumbsup:

Still pay over the odds though :(

nah pass plus is totally different, pass plus u just need to go out with ur instructor or someone and they take u on the motorway and out at night afaik and they can then sign u for it. the IAM test is a lot harder, should put the insurance down a lot more aswell in comparison

cost i think £85 normally but i got it discounted a lot since I did it through the school. Ended up only paying about £30!!! It's a one off fee and then you get taken out by an observer (who does it in their own free time) and you go out with them for however often you need before they think you are ready for the test. Then then get your local group to contact head office to say ur ready for the test, the head office notify an examiner (usually a serving or previously service police officer whos done the full police driving course etc) and the examiner contacts you to arrange a time and place to meet for the test. A lot more informal.

http://www.iam.org.uk/

Might look into doing that, if its gona bring the insurance down further...i did my driving test with an ex traffic cop for my examiner, good job my instructor told me afterwards, i was nervous enough as it was :lol:

so its 75quid then 14.50/year and is it equivalent to a years not claims discount

and I get to spin the car out of control, wicked

One of our slaes women at work did the IAM test recently and she said it was well worth the time and effort that she had to put into it. She's now looking to do the "with trailer" bit for when she's driving with her horsebox.

I've found that this week's lessons for my HGV have had a really good influence on my car driving (apart from tthe setting off in 2nd gear and constantly getting my wipers and indicators mixed up...)

By the way :respect: for passing the IAM test!

A

Mate, im both iam advanced for cars and bikes; but if you're doing it to lower your insurance premiums then you're doing it for the wrong reasons...its all about becoming a more aware and defensive driver/rider and constantly improving your skills as a motorist; ultimately becoming a more safer one. Id thoroughly recommend the courses to anyone.

so its 75quid then 14.50/year and is it equivalent to a years not claims discount

and I get to spin the car out of control, wicked

You never cease to amaze me you know? ;)

whats the difference from thes

Institute of Advanced Motorist (IAM) Police system of driving.

Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) Police system of driving at 3 levels.

Diamond Advanced test (DIA) Conducted by the driving instructors association 2 levels.

Cardington Special Test (DSA) For approved driving instructors only.

whats the difference from thes

Institute of Advanced Motorist (IAM) Police system of driving.

Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) Police system of driving at 3 levels.

Diamond Advanced test (DIA) Conducted by the driving instructors association 2 levels.

Cardington Special Test (DSA) For approved driving instructors only.

IAM and RoSPA teach Advanced driving to anyone. If you're interested then you can get a copy of either book "Pass your Advanced Driving Test" or "Roadcraft" which tell you what is involved.

The IAM test is once in a lifetime (Pass/fail) whereas RoSPA is Gold/Silver/Bronze, with a retest every 3 years (for Gold/Silver). Gold drivers can get a 15% insurance discount.

Diamond and Cardington are for driving instructors only and a good way to distingush the best instructors. There aren't many about, though. (Incidentally, instructors are regularly retested and graded 1-6, find one who is 5 or 6 and they'll be pretty good).

IAM and RoSPA use trained but volunteer instructors (Observers) and hence keep costs down. I'm a Senior Observer for IAM and Gold/Observer for RoSPA - it helps keep my own driving up to standard and I get to try all sorts of cars. My current associate is doing training in a Boxter.

More at the IAM website.

Yeah i did the IAM's test about 4yrs ago.

and great fun it was too. :)

More recently i've been doing the MSA courses, which isn't a test as such, but teaches you how to race on the circuit. which makes you capable and ready for attending, uphill sprints, circuit racing etc.

sorry. nothing to do with the list above :)

msatoplogo.gif

The Royal Automobile Club Motor Sports Association Limited (MSA) is recognised as the governing body of motor sport in Great Britain by the world governing body, the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA).

I keep meaning too do IaM, it's just that the nearest Town that does it to me are half an hour away - about 25 miles to get there and 25 back which seems a bit far to :crybaby:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links