Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Supra

Sup5rSkunk

Hi guys,

Im new to the forum, been searching round web last few months and getting really excited about having a supra as my next car.

have an audi a4 quattro at the moment, one thing that may cross my mind when i can finally afford a supra would be doing a donut burnout :D

one daft question :blink: , with an automatic gearbox is it as easy as it would be in a manual just dipping the clutch and letting fly???

apoligise for my ignorance,

Which supra are you getting? Mkiv or mkiii? n/a or TT?

Dont worry either way, with the supra youll have more than enough power to do a burnout if you really want to. You can either just lock it over and floor it, or powerbrake the autobox and launch it very quickly.

The autos in supras have stall rates of about 2400 revs, which means that the box will 'slip' until 2400 revs on its initial launch, whilst the power to the wheels is delivered via the torque converter (its a lotmore complicated than this in reality). Anyway, with a turbo car the 2400 stall point is enough to allow the turbos to start spooling and the energy is 'stored' and multiplied in the torque converter before being fed to the wheels. This means that even though the wheels arent moving much the power from the engine is being delivered in quite a strange way compared to the manual box.

The whole of the above can be taken advantage of by 'powerbraking' which basically means holding your foot on the brake, and raising the revs to the stall point until the engine overpowers the autobox and brakes, and the rears wheels break traction. You can still have your foot on the brake and have the rears spinning wildly.

Powerbraking is used to get superfast launches (with practice) but it takes a LOT of practice and heats up the transmission fluid VERY QUICKLY. It can cook your ATF within seconds so best not to powerbrake for more than about 3 seconds, and with long gaps inbetween attempts.

Dont worry though, the supra has more than enough power to donut... auto or not.

Check www.mkivsupra.net/bbs

Excellent info!!! thank you.

yeah, looking for mkiv, definetly the tt,

a few of the uk tt's available seem to be offered at decent prices just now,

planning a trip to one of the big import places here in glasgow but a test drive might make me do silly things like buy it on the spot.....

mate has a nissan skyline, hes a rich **** but i feel this will wipe the B)

cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links