Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Wishbone Bushes/arms

sharronok

My Yaris is coming up to 5 years old with 27k on the clock. Took it for the MOT today. I was flabergasted. It failed because the front rear wishbones bushes are worn and cracked and the arms need replacing. Said they would br £190.00& vat each and fitting ontop. I nearly died. I only do 5k miles per year. How has this happened and is this a common problem? Any advice would be welcolme. Thanks

oh dear!! hmmm!! i may not speak for everyone, but £195 + fitting, could be worse.

i guess you dont rag your car about, and 5K miles a year is quite low. no idea why this could of happened. dont think anyone else has had this problem before. maybe bad work when car was made?

I had the anti-roll bar bushes replaced but dunno if its the same problem! Mines has done 43k! :thumbsup:

thanks, thats £195 for each side. Over £500 in total just to get through the MOT. The service is due next month! I wonder if this could be a manufacturer fault and this shoildnt be happening so soon. I am a careful lady driver!

thanks, thats £195 for each side. Over £500 in total just to get through the MOT. The service is due next month! I wonder if this could be a manufacturer fault and this shoildnt be happening so soon. I am a careful lady driver!

whooops misread!! £195 each :eek: yikes!! im agreeing with your guess that its a fault :o

A Side! Ouch! :eek:

My first Yaris had to have its rear anti-roll bushes replaced at about 38,000 miles, but it was still under warranty then.

How can you possibly only do 5,000 miles a year! I do that much in 3 months sometimes! Do you only do very short journeys over rough roads? Is the car laid-up for long periods of time and maybe the suspension siezed or hasn't been properly lubricated? Maybe you should occasionally try to take the car for a longer run occasionally to let it flush crud through its system?

As regards the cost, I would shop around a bit before accepting that - it seems pretty ott.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Alan

crikey thats expensive!!

toyota must use poxy rubber for the bushes!!

thats bad..........

I use my car for work a lot - Y reg T-Sport. I've done over 65 thousand miles and have had to 'rag' the car on a fairly regular basis.

I drive quite hard and the road surfaces around london (where I was based until last month) aren't great.

What I'm trying to say is I would have thought mine would go before yours and hasn't. I had my first MOT in june this year and the only issue was a stone chipped windscreen.

Take the other guys advice and get a second opinion

Clarky

Trouble is.....low milage......spells trouble. .. Cars are meant to run not sit around in a garage. 5k a year is not alot, components do wear when they are subject to the british weather without getting a good run, especially something like the bushes...if not used/flexed they just decay.

Having said that...those prices are steep...look else where for a second opinion.

Vipes

Trouble is.....low milage......spells trouble. .. Cars are meant to run not sit around in a garage. 5k a year is not alot, components do wear when they are subject to the british weather without getting a good run, especially something like the bushes...if not used/flexed they just decay.

Having said that...those prices are steep...look else where for a second opinion.

Vipes

Before I bought mine it had been sat in a garage for 12months. Hence it had only done 15000 miles on its 3rd birthday. Still nothing wrong.

I use my car every day to and from work and school, usually 10 miles a day with longer runs at the weekend. It is never sat in the garage. The MOT centre say the wear is possibly caused by speed humps but I rarely go over any, and when I do its very slowly, thats what they are there for isnt it! The Toyota Garage have quoted me the price to supply the parts only- £190 for each arm. I have a reliable independant mechanic who | know and trust not to rip me off with the cost of labour. My local Toyota Main dealer said they have never supplied this part before on a car so young? My mechanic said there may be other makes that would fit the car. :unsure:

Hi, and welcome to the club.

As far as bushes are concerned, like has been said, rubber tends to "wear" faster or slower due to external influences like weather type, so they could be cracked.

As far as the arm is concerned (I suppose it's the lower suspension arm), you should *definately* see someone you can trust about that, these things can take loads of abuse and seeing your driving style I would very, very much doubt that they are really bent.

Cheers, Yves.

Yves, thanks for your reply. The bushes are cracked but as yet are not available to buy without the arm, hence the expensive quotes. However I have managed to find the arms & bushes complete at Andrew Page for £70 plus vat each so thats a great saving on the quote from Toyota. I know a reliable mechanic who wont charge me the earth for labour so all being well I will have my car through the MOT by Friday.

hmmm can understand you need the entire arm

when i replcaed mine i noticed they were all intergrated and came with them

When I had my anti-roll bar bushes replaced, I just bought the bushes and not the arms and it came to £40 all fitted by Toyota which I thought wos reasonable!

Are we talkin about the anti-roll bar bushes here? :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to know more about this problem I believe you need to speak to a few Ford Mondeo owners I think it was a common problem on earlier cars from what I have heard.

Simon

• 16 years later...

8 year old Yaris ( reg. Dec 2012) ...89,000 ..just got an advisory, for the first time,  for two front suspension arms worn ... hasn't missed a beat in 8 years ..gets well used . Great car. .... oh yes, I've had one new Battery and new discs and pads .. ..' the car in front is a Toyota'

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links