Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Customs And Excise

vmail

when do I pay for the Import Tax and VAT if I buy something from anther country

do I

1) pay it before Customs and Excise send it to me

2) pay it when the postman is at the door

3) pay it later when they request it?

4) if they dont say anything before it get delivered then I have got away with it

cheers ed, do you know how much it will be?

If the item is spotted then you will likely get a request to collect it from Royal Mail where they will hand it to you upon receipt of the tax calculated on the value of the item.

even though it was sent by fed-ex, so cos it arrived at my house I dont need to pay the vat and import tax?

Fed-ex can be stopped by Customs also you know. No sender is safe. Customs can open any package or letter they wish without permission.

But as it has already arrived with you and IF you have not received a bill upon delivery then you will be OK.

I was sent another package the other day, royal mail delivered it, but the package was opened, do you think customs did it, and wouldnt they have re-sealed it?

Who knows.......But if you haven't got a bill then don't worry.

Different items have different rates of duty. At work we have a great big handbook that classifies and sub-classifies different types of product, for example you can go :-

Homewares

Soft Furnishings

Cushions

Feather Cushions

That example is just made up, but you get the idea... We had a problem recently when US Customs stopped a shipment to one of our customers saying that one of our alarm clocks was actually a wris******ch... It had a watch movement and a leather stand. Goodness knows how big the peson's wrist was, or how they were going to put it on :huh: but it took us about 2 days to persuade them otherwise. Alarm clocks and wrist watches attrach different levels of duty although the components may be different...

Not that you care :) ,

Alan

Fed-ex can be stopped by Customs also you know. No sender is safe. Customs can open any package or letter they wish without permission.

But as it has already arrived with you and IF you have not received a bill upon delivery then you will be OK.

Fed-Ex could send you a bill for the C & E charge months later, it happen to me twice before, but not alway, Parcel force alway send you a letter and ask you to pay for the cost first before they deliver nowaday...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links