Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Crusty Old Sheds

HRME2

Hi does anyone have a rust problem with their Celica?

I've got a jap import 4ws one and it's fairly clean underneath and the rads etc pipework is on, on the other hand I've got a UK Carlos sainz and it's rusty as hell underneath and I've just replaced the brake pipes and fuel pipes as they were perished, took the front end apart and the oil coolers etc are rusty too.

Anyone else have a crusty old banger?

P.s. both these cars are roughly 90>92 models.

TIA.

Had my rear brake pipes renewed for last MOT. Weren`t that bad but thought better safe than sorry. Strangely enough the front ones were fine. Other than that not too bad. Just the odd rusty bolt here and there. :thumbsup:

:D No probs with rust on mine!!. the previous owners looked after it like a queen by the stack of service and parts recipts i have!!

Get it wax oiled asap tho m8 the nasty cold evil weather and road salt is on its way grrrrr!!!

Mine seems to be OK- so far. (fingers crossed!)

It looks like someone in the past has replaced the rear bumper, and "knocked" the panel above it- So i've had to have the panel resprayed.

Asides from that, no probs :D although i will keep my eye on the rear brakelines now- cheers guys :thumbsup:

no rust any where apart of a tiny amount service rust on a piller some one in past greased all pipes underneath havent had a rusty bolt YET shouldnt say this it gonna ginx me lol

My 1990 st182 failed it's mot on brake pipes today - all badly corroded :(

Few other rust spots underneath aswell - nothing too major though

Awhite what a major job, toyota supply the fuel lines no problem but not the brake pipes, if they are to the rear get your mechanic to replace them in 3 sections otherwise you'll have to drop the rear axle so it's a lot cheaper to do the brake lines in sections I'm lucky to work at a garage so got it done a lot cheaper than most, if I were you check out the fuel lines where they run down the left hand chassis it's possible they may be corroding as well? Toyota prices run about £180 for the fuel lines and a few clips so like i said not a cheap job.

PS love yer avatar logo :)

Oh, you've made me a lot lot happier - not! :)

Thanks for the tip - I'll get the garage to check that out aswell.

Funny that, my old red supra failed on rear brake lines too.. that was a 1990, UK car... must bea Toyota "thing" of that era!!! Its got to eb saidm you very rarely see a jap import with rust on!!!!! uk mk3 supra rust likea goodun... my J spec on is 17 years old and not a patch!!!!

I'm looking for a '93 is (ST-182) for the mrs... are there any rust patches to look out for on the body/chassis??????

Not really mate, rust seems to be quite well inhibited on the Gen 5- I looked at a G plate GT4 a couple of months back and even that was clean as a whistle :thumbsup:

Cool, thought so!!!!

From my experiance Toyota seemed to havea real crack down on rust, when all the newer "rouder" early 90s cars came out... think about it the old style celica/supra/mrs are often found with rust (especially the old mr2!!!) but after the reshape, they hold it off very well..... I'm sure its a lot more then just "the rounder ones are newer" as they are all old cars now, 6 months is nothing in the grand scale of things!!!

Looking forward to getting one, I always wanted one when I was younger, (school debate, GT-4 vs. E-!Removed! Cossie :P ) but went down the supra/soarer route instead!! I'm now on my 7th toyota!!! hopefully this will be her first of many too!!!

How sad/addicted are we :lol::lol:

I have some toyota info somewhere, the Gen 5 was treated differently to prevent rust- to ensure the gen4 tinworm didnt make it through the family tree ;)

Lets hope they did a !Removed! good job! :thumbsup:

:P no rust on my import celica GTR came from Japan 2001 - Sometimes you can get rust due to the environment - I know if you live by the coast your car is more prone to rust - ie Salt water - My brother in Plymouth Devon is always amazed by the body shine on my Celica - All I do is take it the car wash every 3 weeks - It has a hot wax - But I havnt polished it for 2 years now. On the other hand my brothers 1 year old Vauxhall has lost most of its shine. They say California is best for bodywork on cars chrome and general longivity.

Car wash!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEk

No car of mine ever goes near one of those!!!!!!

they are ok if you prefer the swirl design paintwork, but its common these days :lol:

they are ok if you prefer the swirl design paintwork, but its common these days :lol:

:lol:

Mines never been through one whilst i've owned it ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links