Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stolen Keys

EMKAY

My sister was unlucky enough to have her car keys and driving licence stolen from a lesuire centre locker.

I'm minding her car at a different address for the moment, but Toyota have quoted £1200 for the locks to be changed.

This sounds very expensive, she thinks the insurance will pay the full amount but I have a nasty feeling, as with most policies, they will only pay out up to £500.

Its a T reg CDX so it had the remote key fob, any cheaper ideas ?

thanks,

Em Kay

£1200 sounds about right nowadays......as the whole alarm/immobiliser will probably get replaced too.

It's worth checking with the insurance on options before she decided what to do as this may be one of the few occasions when insurance policies are worth the paper they are printed on !

Oh, Welcome to TOC by the way

Rich

cheers, I've just changed from a Celica GT4 to a Yaris CDX 1.0 myself.

Just as much fun to drive (but in a different way :D )

Em Kay

So you was still able to get into it with a spare set? Or did you have to break in to move it? I'm assuming you have spare keys?

if so heres the best idea you will hear....

Dont worry about the locks. Get it booked in to have a decent alarm/immobilizer fitted. put the fob on your spare keys. The thief wont be able to get in then without the alarm fob and it wont start. Sorted

This will cost about £300 and you get quality alarm too. Sound like a good plan?

WTTC

wen my immobiliser armed itself it took an auto electician bout 5 minutes to overirde it that a toyota alarm which is wired into ign fuel pump and ecu aftermarket alarms are normally wired into two position i hav eno faith in alarms anymore.

it may be sceptical and over reacting but i would just get rid of the car and buy something else. ur sis is gonna be nervous as hell for the next few days/weeks/months that some idiot is gonna nick her car.

They have her address they know taht she drives a toyota they will tryto get the car why not they have the keys,

aslo if u sell assuming u have spare keys u dont have to fork out £1k + on locks etc. (insurance wont go up etc)

i may be bein a doom merchant but i would be ver y careful how u play this cra thieves have changed the majority used to be little scrotesnow the majority are professional.

ok that may be worse case scenario but dude its ur sister look out for her

just my opinion

ed

the entrie ECU will be changed as it controls the central locking and immobiliser system

As long as you have a black key (one with remote on) you can go to your local toyota dealer and ask them to remove the missing key from the ecu and from the remote system and then add a new key (£100 approx) they will still be able to get in on the key but will not be able to drive it away and alarm will sound (if fitted) and remote door locking will only work with the 2 keys you have.

I have done this toi a few toyota now and so far so good better than paying out £1200! :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links