Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

...just A Few Questions

WhiteyGTi-16

Does anyone know the MPG og the Corolla GT-i 16 AE92, i just feel mines a little thirsty.

Also, do you have to be a rocket scientist to work the Econometer because I cant seem to get mine to to work, ive looked in the manual etc, and also I get an orange light when I turn the key and I checked that in the manual and it just says "take your car to Toyota"

ANy help most appreciated,

Kind regards,

Alex

dont know about the econometer, but i get around 30mpg out of my car, so id imagine AE92's to get pretty much the same figure, since its virtually the same same engine

dont know about the econometer, but i get around 30mpg out of my car, so id imagine AE92's to get pretty much the same figure, since its virtually the same same engine

:crybaby::crybaby: 30mpg........? I can only dream of that :crybaby:

I haven't worked out the MPG on mine, but I know she's thirsty. It's mainly down to driving style though. A tank of regular unleaded will let me see aprox 220 miles.

Nicola has been using it since she sold her MR2 and she manages 280 miles on 3/4 of a tank :o

Also, do you have to be a rocket scientist to work the Econometer because I cant seem to get mine to to work, ive looked in the manual etc, and also I get an orange light when I turn the key and I checked that in the manual and it just says "take your car to Toyota"

The econometer (if you have a UK Spec AE92 GTi) is quite simple if you 'floor it' you will have low economy so the 'econometer' will show an orange light, if however you just drive 'calmly (normal?)' then a green light will display. For normal driving the econometer will show a green light with perhaps the orange light appearing between the odd gear change. Also when you first put the key in and turn the ignition on the orange light will display and go to green after you have started up ...whether it stays in the green is up to you when you pull away!

To maintain best fuel economy stay in green ...but don't go driving around constantly looking at the econometer ...we don't want you running into anything!

The econometer is not a 'fuel computer' that is programable in anyway like some cars (the Ford Orion Ghia injection is one that springs to mind).

However I believe they can fail and thus stay in the 'orange light' for evermore, a friends did. It is not detrimental to the running of the car. If you want you can try cleaning the conections if yours is 'stuck on orange'. The device for this item is located between the drivers side mcpherson strut turret and washer bottle reservior, you will see a black 'boot' with two wires going into it. Peel back the boot and 'wiggle' the conections.

The device for this item is located between the drivers side mcpherson strut turret and washer bottle reservior,

Sorry ...I meant nearer power steering fluid reservior

Where is the indication (light) for this econometer thing? Is there any sort of symbol?

I have never seen any indication on my 1990 AE92 which is UK spec...

Where is the indication (light) for this econometer thing? Is there any sort of symbol?

I have never seen any indication on my 1990 AE92 which is UK spec...

On your dashboard above the fuel gauge dial. A rectangular section, little green rectangular light on left, little orange rectangular on right

Corolla GTi-16's from approx.'89 onwards did not have the Econometer.

Basically if you have TVIS engine then you have got an Econometer, non TVIS did not have the Econometer.

Thanks

JB

Basically if you have TVIS engine then you have got an Econometer, non TVIS did not have the Econometer.

Well that sorts that out!

Many thanks Sir.

Whats is the difference between TVIS and non TVIS in construction terms, power etc.?

Description of TVIS from Club4AG.com:

TVIS creates higher velocity intake charge at the engine's lower operating range by closing off one intake runner of the pair on each cylinder.

Uk power figures from the AE92 engines were 123bhp(TVIS) and 127-129bhp(non-TVIS).

The above figures are probably more realistic than some of the Toyota Japan claimed figures at the time of sale.... 120ps(TVIS) and 140ps(non-TVIS) is what they claimed the engines were putting out!

HTH

JB

Many thanks,

This is probabley why mine (TVIS version) is managing 40+ MPG. I find that on a run my GTi with the 1.6 4AGE engine is more economical than my GS with the 1.6 4AFE Engine. Both are 40+ m.p.g. but I do think the 4AGE has the edge.

I must admit however that stop starting around town then the 4AFE engined G.S. has the edge.

I run both cars mainly on Shell Optimax (98 octain).

Hope this helps answer the original question for this thread.

Corolla GTi-16's from approx.'89 onwards did not have the Econometer.

Thanks

JB

That would explain it... For a second I suddenly thought I may have an import or something non-standard :D

Mine had the economy light, and it worked without any problems.

I was getting 23mpg when commuting to work and back, and 33mpg on long motorway journeys. If you're getting more than that then you're probably burning more air than fuel and are losing power as a result!!

I was getting 23mpg when commuting to work and back, and 33mpg on long motorway journeys. If you're getting more than that then you're probably burning more air than fuel and are losing power as a result!!

Only 33m.p.g on motorways? oh my, thats expensive!

Its a Japanese car with an injection system! it should be very economical!

Those economy figures remind me of my MGB GT: 23m.p.g when commuting but that has an old Britsh 'B' Series 1800cc engine with Twin SU Carburettors. Also it's not the most refined of British jalopys in engineering terms so I accept the 'Ol Banger'.

My Corolla GTi has always been this economical (nearly 12 years of ownership) and I find it very quick...where allowed on our congested roads!

Also there has never been mention of 'burning more air' or lose of power at Service or Emision Test/M.O.T time.

I think when some performance cars are uneconomical is when people 'mess' and tend to 'slap on' the cheapest Air filter and loudest big bore exhaust (as per a couple of the Kids do who live near me with a Vauxhall Corsa and Renault Clio).

Thanks for your advice and concern but I am a little concerned about others fuel economy figures.

Happy motoring

mine's completely standard engine wise, and its never been particularly economical. ive never had more than 230 miles from a tank and average 28 - 30mpg. that usually includes a bit of harsh driving, but not much. thats about the average fore this class of car though, so i cant complain!

I will say that mine hadn't had a tune up for at least 6 years, and could have done with one, as when I used to boot it I could normally smell a hint of petrol, so it might have been running a little rich.

• 2 weeks later...

funny i get in a drive my car and fill it up when it needs it, never even bothered to worry about MPG whats the point ? I bought my car because i saw its potential and liked the driving experience (still do). Couldn't ive a monkeys about the mpg I;d rather own something i liked that something thats economical !?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links