Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

15s To 17s

JohnnyW

Hi,

I just recently bought an Mr2 Rev 2 which currently has the 15” standard wheels on it. They’re showing their age a bit now and was thinking of replacing them.

I’m planning on getting 17’s and I wondered how this would affect the cars handling and looks. I’d really like to avoid lowering it if possible as I lowered my last car and it lead to problem after problem. If I put 17’s on it without lowering the car would it look like a 4 X 4 or does will it continue look top notch? (any pics of an MR2 on 17’s not lowered would be appreciated).

And also what about tyre sizes I’ve read on here that the rear wheels are wider than the front. So what size of wheels & tyres should I be looking at for the front and back to keep the handling spot on.

P.S. Totally lovin my new MR2, fantastic to drive. Takes a bit of getting used to as my last car was a 1.1 :lol:

the wheels are the same size only the tyre size is different

fronts are as standard = 195x55x15

rears - 225x50x15

i have found bigger wheels equals less acceleration :thumbsup:

17's are fine as long as you put the right ratio tyres on them. I have 17 inch Konig Imagine wheels with 205 x 40 x 17's on the front and 225 x 35 x 17 on the rear.

As long as the rolling radius is the same, you shouldn't have a problem. The only time you get less accelleration is when the incorrect ratio tyre is fitted. In the case of mine 225 x 45 x 17 would increase the rolling radius of the wheel, and therfore make it slightly slower.

Lowering and stiffening the car makes it look and handle much better. Around -40mm is the norm.

HTH :thumbsup:

17's are fine, I have 8j's all round (I think).

215/40's on the front, 235/40's on the rear.

Eibach do lowering springs for the std shocks. Still a comfy ride, but looks a whole load better.

rears - 225x50x15

i have found bigger wheels equals less acceleration  :thumbsup:

errr errr - wrong answer.

Rear wheels, actual alloys are an inch wider than the fronts, lots of people do the CHEAP thing and get the same size wheels and put different size tyres on, i wouldn't recommend it at all mind.

Notice how CHEAP almost never equates to GOOD.

Having rims that are too narrow for the tyres will result in more sidewall bulging and flex, the tread profile will also not be flat resulting in poor tyre wear.

rears - 225x50x15

Rear wheels, actual alloys are an inch wider than the fronts, lots of people do the CHEAP thing and get the same size wheels and put different size tyres on, i wouldn't recommend it at all mind.

Having rims that are too narrow for the tyres will result in more sidewall bulging and flex, the tread profile will also not be flat resulting in poor tyre wear.

You do know that rims can naturally take a variance of tyre sizes? They are not made so one rim can ONLY take a 195 and another can only take a 205. There was a report in What Car some years back that gave each wheel size and what the min and max tyre size they could take. There is a web site somewhere that tell you as well but I can never find it.

As for JohnnyW's situation I see nobody has actually answered the question about what the car will look like on 17's an standard suspension.

I know where he is coming from. I currently have lowered springs and uprated shocks on my Rover but is is a very firm ride, I've had the car with lowered springs and standard shocks too but they wore out mega quick and the ride became unbearable.

I to have found problem after probem with lowering. I find the ride so harsh that with all the speed bumps and pot holes, I have to tighten up the bolts and the bushes wear out much faster.

I too think I will be like JohnnyW and look to get 17's with standard suspension.

Ah, and whilst typing this mega long post :unsure: .... My Rover takes 195 55 15 as standard and the closest match for 17's is 205 40 17

If you put the two wheels together, the 17 is just that little bit bigger in diameter so it does marginally effect acceleration, but not noticable. It also adds to top end...If I were to take it to 160 :huh:

lower profile tyres also reduces comfort and the tyre doesn't take as much of the shock from pot holes etc.

It's all swings and roundabouts. If you want looks, you cant have as much comfort

So any photos of 17's on standard suspension????

rears - 225x50x15

You do know that rims can naturally take a variance of tyre sizes? They are not made so one rim can ONLY take a 195 and another can only take a 205. There was a report in What Car some years back that gave each wheel size and what the min and max tyre size they could take. There is a web site somewhere that tell you as well but I can never find it.

As for JohnnyW's situation I see nobody has actually answered the question about what the car will look like on 17's an standard suspension.

I know where he is coming from. I currently have lowered springs and uprated shocks on my Rover but is is a very firm ride, I've had the car with lowered springs and standard shocks too but they wore out mega quick and the ride became unbearable.

I to have found problem after probem with lowering. I find the ride so harsh that with all the speed bumps and pot holes, I have to tighten up the bolts and the bushes wear out much faster.

I too think I will be like JohnnyW and look to get 17's with standard suspension.

Ah, and whilst typing this mega long post :unsure: .... My Rover takes 195 55 15 as standard and the closest match for 17's is 205 40 17

If you put the two wheels together, the 17 is just that little bit bigger in diameter so it does marginally effect acceleration, but not noticable. It also adds to top end...If I were to take it to 160 :huh:

lower profile tyres also reduces comfort and the tyre doesn't take as much of the shock from pot holes etc.

It's all swings and roundabouts. If you want looks, you cant have as much comfort

So any photos of 17's on standard suspension????

tell you what pop out and on your stock rims put the front 195s on the rear rims and vice versa, put the wheels back on your car 195 tyres still at the front and tell me how it handles.

Now now lads! Calm down. No fighting in the ranks :D

Here's a pic of mine on 17's. It's been lowered -40 and in the pic it has my old 205 x 45 x 17 tyres on. These have now been replaced, but it'll give you an idea of how it'll look.

mr2.jpg

HTH :thumbsup:

I'm running on the front 17x7 with 215/40 and on the rear 18x7.5 with 245/35. technically you shouldn't put a 245 on a 7.5" rim but it seem fine and doesn't looked stressed, plus you get the extra width.....

I havn't found the handelling to change too much but I am running tein coilovers and uprated anti roll bars....

Pics,

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Sorry about the crap pic :eek:

The white one is on17's with std springs, the other is on 17's & lowered by 40mm

Roytoner-mr2.JPG

As you can see the blue on looks alot better :thumbsup:

you car does look stunning Matt ..

thought you didn't like lexus rears Bibbs :P

I don't .. think it's look better with fully red Rev3 lights ..

you car does look stunning Matt ..

thought you didn't like lexus rears Bibbs :P

I don't .. think it's look better with fully red Rev3 lights ..

Yep :thumbsup: I've seen the light :D ( or is it lights ?? ) :P

Sorry about the crap pic  :eek:

The white one is on17's with std springs, the other is on 17's & lowered by 40mm

Roytoner-mr2.JPG

As you can see the blue on looks alot better  :thumbsup:

Certainly no 4x4 look on standard springs :thumbsup:

Sorry about the crap pic  :eek:

Roytoner-mr2.JPG

As you can see the blue on looks alot better  :thumbsup:

Certainly no 4x4 look on standard springs :thumbsup:

Thats why as soon as I have finished playing with the body the sodding springs

are going back on :ffs:

I have 17's with standard suspension, seems to handle very well although I haven't experienced 15's. I think my tyre size is 205/40 all round but I'd have to double check that. I wouldn't say it looks that high. Here's a couple of pics so you can see for yourself:

scan4.jpg

scan5.jpg

Obviously you're better matching the wheel width to the tyre width.

I'm running a 7 x 17 wheel on the front with 215/40/17 GSD3 tyre, and 8 x 17 wheel on the rear with 235/40/17 GSD3 tyre.

With regards to acceleration... it's not just the overall diameter that needs taking into consideration, you must also realise that the weight of the wheel goes further to the edge, and therefore affects centrifugal momentum... in other words, it will take marginally longer to rotate the wheel initially. For examle... It's like holding a heavy weight nearer to your body and lifting it (i.e. 15" wheel), and then trying the same lift but with the weight further away from the body (i.e. 17" wheel). It requires more power to do so.

In some respect this can help getting power down on a drag strip. If your wheels are too light, they will spin easily on the line... you get the rest! Ron Kiddell (Skyine R32 GTR Drag King!) uses Compomotives like mine... but bigger (hence 6 spoke). Compomotives are slightly heavier than your average wheel, as they are built for rallying (strength). He doesn't spin the wheels so much... therefore, great start!

:ph34r:

and a lot depends on the wheel style too ..

Mine are light, but a lot of the weight is in the edge of the rim .. so the weight is good, but the inertia is not so good ..

But then you don't buy 17's for performance.

(and the final thing, if you have a larger rolling radius, when bouncing of the rev limiter in 5th you'll be going quicker)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links