Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is My Car An Import Or Uk Car?

chris23

Hi :D

God i feel so stupid for asking this, but i need to get some more insurance quotes and they obviously ask weather or not your car is an import or not. Thing is i dont know how to tell.

On the Registration document it says " Vehicle was registered/used overseas. Declared manufactured 1991. " So what does this mean?

Chris.

chances are yes it's an import the most obvious way to tell is the shape of the rear number plate if it's squarish it's an import

Its a n/a and the rear number plate is the normal rectangular shape number plate. How else can i find out?

It is a T-bar by the way.

Look at the T bar instructions on the sun visors, if its in japanese its an import. Does it have the side repeaters in front of the front wheels? If so its an import. Is it a G-Ltd? again import. Does the speedo go up to 110 mph or perhaps 180mph? Both good indicators of import. Got steering fog lights? import. Air conditioning? It was a £2000 option on UK cars so not many had it, most imports do. Folding wing wirrors? import. Does the front number plate holder completely surround a normal number plate? A jap one is shorter so you have number plate sticking out either end.

Generally though if your V5 says previously registered overseas, declared manufactured then there is every chance you have an import.. UK ones say something like "New at first registration" I think.

imports 12 digits chassis number - uk models 17 digits chassis number simple as that . :thumbsup:

Are the front side repeaters in the wing behind the front wheel, or infront of the front wheel in the trim strip?

the latter = import :thumbsup:

It may not be a jap import, but a UK spec car previously registered in Ireland, Ilse Of Man or even Europe... If this is the case it shouldn't affect the insurance.

Guys, cheers for the replies. The indicaters are behind the front wheel on the wing, the chasis number is 17 digits long, the number plate on the front fits within the holder thing, the t-bar instruction is in english and the rear number plate is not square so i must have a UK car then. Superb.

Thing is insurance companies ask me and when i say " Vehicle was registered/used overseas. Declared manufactured 1991. " they say its an inport then, So should i say its a UK car? Becasue this will obviously make my insurance cheaper wont it?

Thanks for replies in advance.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links