Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3s-gte Conversion

hinesh_p

Hi i was just wondering how easy it would be to 'drop' a 3S-GTE engine into my n/a 96 MR2? Is it just a case of a straight swap? or would i need to make further alterations?

Regards

HP

As far as I know, its just a straight swap, but its more than just the engine you need to get...

From previous posts about this on here, it is a general consencus that it is more hassle than its worth and a hell of a lot more money.

People just usually sell up and buy an MR2 Turbo.

yeah youd also need to get the transmission and ecu plus a ton if wiring harnesses..far better (ie cheaper) to start with a turbo in the first place mate

midmotorsteve has done it... might be worth droppin him a PM. :thumbsup:

Sometimes it's worthwhile if your current MR2 is in good nick, most places usually try and sell the engine, gearbox, & ecu etc. all as one package. Assuming you can get it a decent price and have a good knowledgable workshop who is competent enough to install it then it often works out a good deal.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I know Rogue Systems do them ..

And I know you can get just the engine from them. Fensport will also supply an engine, not sure if they fit them too.

Budget at least £4k and I think you'll be close.

Hi i was just wondering how easy it would be to 'drop' a 3S-GTE engine into my n/a 96 MR2?

Well the answer is its not that easy... the lump will fit no probs but its a bit fiddly - i've done about 15 conversions now so i'm getting pretty good at it. The good points are there were no alterations to the chasis between N/A and turbo so no extra strenghening is required. the bad points are the pain in the ***** job ofphysically doing it and the wiring isn't plug and play so you have to cut and splice the looms together.

To be able to do the job properly you need to get hold of the following,

Complete engine and gearbox

Driveshafts

Igniter and coil pack

Engine loom and ECU

Turbo fuel pump

Gear selector cables

Intercooler, airbox and all pipework

Exhaust

For ideas on prices check this page out - Link...

Hope this helps,

Matt.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links