Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Needed On Handling

dudeone

Hi,

I am looking to change the alloys on my Rev3 to 17'' but ive heard that they can make the car handle crap and slow her right down is this correct?

I had planned on poping tyres on that made the rolling diameter very similar to what the 2 is now ie:

215/40/17

235/40/17

Thats why I though that they would be okay!!!!!

Also ive been told that 16'' are OK and do not affect the ride of the 2 so before I splash the cash I would like to know the situation..

Cheer Dave

I've got 17s on at the moment and no doubt that they are a bit "firmer" than the 15's. However they do offer a higher breaking point than 15s. The trouble is that when they do break, it's more violent and harder to control than on 15s. It'lll tramline a bit more too but that doesnt really bother me!

As long as you get the wheels properly balanced and everything laser-aligned you'll be fine

go for 17's mate... apart from anything else, they look the part. I would never go 18's as I've heard it can affect the feel/handling of the car.

Hi,

I think I will stick with the 17'' upgrade, the link below has 6 different alloys that I like the looks of, please all take a look and give me you opinions

Alloys 2

Cheers Dave :thumbsup:

I haven't driven an MR2 with anything other than 17's but I guess going 2 sizes bigger will slightly affect handling and acceleration BUT it won't be too noticeable and I think it's well worth it for the looks. 17's look just right IMO :thumbsup: !

Just a thought here mate, my previous car was a Seat Ibiza Cupra Sport and i had 17's on that - they looked awesome BUT due to the width of the wheel = very dangerous to drive in the snow, so dangerous i crashed and vowed never to drive on wide wheels during the bad weather.

Now i know you'r driving a runabout (lucky git!!! :D ), but you really want to consider this and put your alloys on during the summer, giving you all the more time to look for the perfect rims for your tubbie.

Its up to you but these cars are bad once youve lost control. :eek:

Hope this helps.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Just a thought here mate, my previous car was a Seat Ibiza Cupra Sport and i had 17's on that - they looked awesome BUT due to the width of the wheel = very dangerous to drive in the snow, so dangerous i crashed and vowed never to drive on wide wheels during the bad weather.

Now i know you'r driving a runabout (lucky git!!!  :D ), but you really want to consider this and put your alloys on during the summer, giving you all the more time to look for the perfect rims for your tubbie.

Hope this helps.

Cheers  :thumbsup:

Hi,

Thanx mate a very good point, the only problem is that I have the money now and if I wait I wont have the money, I may get a set and hold of fitting them.

After saying that when it goes on the std wheels its a sod to get strait again.

Dave

If your car is lowered (or going to be) then I'd go with 16"s :)

Those mags almost all look the same.....your not intrested in any other style??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Now i know you'r driving a runabout (lucky git!!!  :D ), but you really want to consider this and put your alloys on during the summer, giving you all the more time to look for the perfect rims for your tubbie.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanx mate a very good point, the only problem is that I have the money now and if I wait I wont have the money, I may get a set and hold of fitting them.

Dave

how come you don't have the money if you wait??

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Dave

how come you don't have the money if you wait??

I spend it like its going out of fashon mate, so theres no way I could hold onto it longer than a week or so. ;) :yes:

If your car is lowered (or going to be) then I'd go with 16"s :)

Those mags almost all look the same.....your not intrested in any other style??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Hi,

Yeh its allready been done not sure by how much.

Dave

Couldn't you buy the wheels and just wait to fit them? I know they will be sitting there saying "FIT ME" but worth a thought.

I have opersonally never found 17's to slow a car down. The actual radius is only a little bigger than 15's so the loss is very minimal. With the amount of power your puting through the wheels with a turbo, even a nasp, you will not notice anything. Those I know who have 18's have commented that there is a slight loss in acceleration but nothing to even worry about.

I'm quite tempted at 18's myself when I get mine but we shall see. I wouldn't go lower than 17's myself though.

I have opersonally never found 17's to slow a car down. The actual radius is only a little bigger than 15's so the loss is very minimal. With the amount of power your puting through the wheels with a turbo, even a nasp, you will not notice anything. Those I know who have 18's have commented that there is a slight loss in acceleration but nothing to even worry about.

I'm quite tempted at 18's myself when I get mine but we shall see. I wouldn't go lower than 17's myself though.

The thing that I didn't like was when you go for a bigger rim you have to go for a lower profile, that makes a much rougher ride :(

Cheers

KiwiMR2

on stock suspecsion setup on the rev 3 GTS how would the 17's look? as i have considered to go this route as i want to be able to return the car to standard form once i come to sell.... :bookworm:

I got 17's on the front and 18's on the back and it handles like its on rails - may be down to the coilover and uprated arb's though....

M.

I like the middle ones on the top row...

Ive got 16" wheels on mine and theres very little difference from the

15's apart from the fact they are much wider.

I'd go for 17's though.

The thing that I didn't like was when you go for a bigger rim you have to go for a lower profile, that makes a much rougher ride :(

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Horses for courses as they say....you can't have your cake and eat it.

I got 17's on the front and 18's on the back and it handles like its on rails - may be down to the coilover and uprated arb's though....

M.

Hmm, now thats a thought. I'd not considered doing that.

M.

Hmm, now thats a thought. I'd not considered doing that.

17's and 18's is the way forward!!! ;)

oz.jpg :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links