Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Help

stevey

Thats a verrrrrry braod way of putting it. The post might as well say "can any1 tell me whats wrong with my car"...an thats it.

Does it turn over? Does it cough splutter..then die? Is there warning lights on the dash etc? be more specific.

Post on the mr2 board of TOC. Prolly get moved there any1.

hi can anyone give me some advice on why my mr2 wont start.its a 1991 none turbo model.

i was driving it when it suddenly started pulling back.when i put my foot down on the gas it lost power rather than gained it.this happened for about 7miles &then it just cut out&now wont start.its as if there is no spark.can anyone give some advice or have you had this problem.thanks

hi can anyone give me some advice on why my mr2 wont start.its a 1991 none turbo model.

it turns over but very weak.there are no warning lights on the dash

You say no spark evident at present plus before this there was a loss of power, it makes me wonder if your ignition coil has failed.

I've known of two other Mk2 MR2's that have had there coils fail when they were around 12 years old.

Yeah could be that the alternator has packed in, my MR2 slowly died when the alternator was its way out then when it died the whole car was dead!! :crybaby:

Fixed now though :D

This happened to me last year. - was joining a motorway and floored it then it spluttered and just cut out.

Check the timing belt is on and ok.

Check for a spark on distributor and follow it back by elimination from the king lead.

Turned out my igniter had failed. You can buy them seperately but usually they come with the coil as well. Cost me 100 quid - replaced it and it was totally fine again.

Can be a bit fiddly to get to but just remove the fuse box and you should be ok.

Check the dizzy/cap/leads first tho - probably won't be anything to bad.

One thing tho - if the igniter has gone it will still turn over strong - just no spark.

This happened to me last year. - was joining a motorway and floored it then it spluttered and just cut out.

Check for a spark on distributor and follow it back by elimination from the king lead.

Turned out my igniter had failed. You can buy them seperately but usually they come with the coil as well. Cost me 100 quid - replaced it and it was totally fine again.

Can be a bit fiddly to get to but just remove the fuse box and you should be ok.

One thing tho - if the igniter has gone it will still turn over strong - just no spark.

hi all.thanks for all your responses i am very grateful.iv only had the car 3weeks so am so down at the moment as id saved a long time for this car.iv checked it today to see if there is a spark&there is.iv already changed the dizzy cap rotor arm&plug leads just to be sure of a spark.what iv found now is there appears to be no fuel getting to the engine.i took the hose off on the drivers side as it seemed to be the feed hose for fueling the engine.its the one at the top &is only a short rubber hose which clamps as it joins the plenum chamber.the rest of the piping is metal&appears to lead from the fuel tank.any way with the hose removed i cranked the engine over&there was no fuel coming through at all.its all starting to point at fuel pump.could anyone tell me where the fuel relay is located&is there any easy way of testing the fuel pump with out removing it as i gather its in the fuel tank.many thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links