Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Off, Wanna Put Car In Gear..

Blue84

Hi all,

I've got a security lock on my Yaris which goes from the handbrake to the gearstick and is bright yellow for when I leave her parked up. Before you say anything I originally brought it for my 1st car and when I got the Yaris I didnt see the point of leaving it in a cupboard so use it in her too.

As she's recently had her handbrake adjusted by Toyota it is so low that I have to put the car into 3rd gear when the engine is off for it to fit, but the car wont let me put her into gear unless I depress the clutch as if you would when you were changing gear whilst driving.

This is no problem, but I was wondering why is it like that? My Dads Fiesta lets you put it into any gear with the engine off and the clutch up...does it vary from manufacturer to manufacturer?

Blue

no offence.. but them locks are useless...... unscrew the gear knob and itll come off in a jiffy :wacko: :!Removed!:

it'll still take a thief longer to get away tho!

nah dropping the clutch down is a natural thing

its just realigning the cogs in the gearbox as you do it

You should always depress the clutch when shifting/engaging a gear..with or without the engine running.

Also another tip...is to keep the clutch depressed when ya start the car.

Takes the weight of the engine of the clutch off the starter...good practice anyway in case you get in someones elses car and they park with it in gear.

Vipes

good practice anyway in case you get in someones elses car and they park with it in gear.

Vipes

To too Viper! Ive done this many a time after my mums driven the car, then parked but left it in gear! Poor old me gets in, starts the car without checking then fills me pants!

you should really always leave your car parked in gear, not so much of a problem on a flat surface but if ur on a hill u should put ur car in 1st if if you were going to roll u would roll backwards and into reverse if you would roll forwards.

you should really always leave your car parked in gear, not so much of a problem on a flat surface but if ur on a hill u should put ur car in 1st if if you were going to roll u would roll backwards and into reverse if you would roll forwards.

I thought whichever gear you put it in didnt make a difference as its not going to go anywhere regardless - thats what my Dad always told me anyway - I always put the car in 1st, no matter where I am or which way the hill slopes....

its easier to turn an engine over in 5th rather than first due to the gear size , making first gear the best bet on hills.

yeah, the problem is down to the synchromesh - sometimes it will go into a gear without the clutch, but if the cogs arent aligned, then you'll need to depress the clutch, nothing to worry about..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links