Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Ariel Wont Go Down!

swales_p

Has anyone had this problem before?

I pulled into work this morning, parked my car, turned the engine off then heard this horrible rotating noise. When i looked into it its the motor below my ariel. The ariel doesnt go down but the motor keeps running untill its completed its course then it stops.

It also does this when i turn the sterio back on, and as before stops once its completed its course.

Can the ariel slipp off the motor and need putting back on? Or does it sound f@@ked!!!

Any help would be great.

Cheers :thumbsup:

it has a plastic worm on the bottom mate. its probably fell to bits , i think £ 40 at toyota for a new one.

Hi Mate,

Ive just ordered a new mast and plastic gear for mine and its just shy of £30, get yourself to Toyota...

Cheers Dave :thumbsup:

Its a really common problem on earlier models, mentioned as thing to look out for in many buying guides. They have a little plastic gear that winds the arial up and down and its prone to wearing and that sounds exactly like your problem. I believe on later models they made this gear from a different material so it would't wear. Correct me if im wrong!

Anyway, right advice, new gear from MrT! :thumbsup:

Cheers boys.

Dudeone, what Toyota garage did you use? Im going to go there tomorow.

Cheers  :thumbsup:

Yo Mate,

Used the one near the Yorkshire Dragoon, cannot remeber what its called now, just been told me bits are in it only took 2 days.

I got a new mast, the plastic gear and a clip to hold the engine stay to the lid all in for £29.90 :thumbsup:

Dave

Ok, i have a problem. Ive looked at the motor and the ariel from the inside of the boot, BUT i dont have a clue on what to take off etc.

Im guessing its the rubber seal directly underneath the ariel BUT only god knows how that comes off.

Has somebody done this before OR does anyone know how to do this.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated as ive just rang the garage and there talking about £60 to fix it. errrr NO CHANCE!!! I'd rather cut the bugger off - ariel that is :thumbsup:

Here's some info ive found from http://www.yorksoft.co.uk/mr2/index.asp?se...n%20car%20audio

"Toyota MR2 MK2 N/A - How to remove the electric antenna mast from the MR2

We need to remove the antenna mast from our 92 MK2 MR2 with the standard rear spoiler. We were able to remove the electric motor from the car, but cannot figure out how to remove the mast itself. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. - Fix/Recommendation

Fix / Recommendation 1 submitted by Stef - stefan@cct-uk.com on 3/11/2003

There is no need to remove the motor from the car. In fact it makes the whole job !Removed! difficult! Remove the rubber seal at the base of the mast and then remove the lock ring underneath. turn on the radio and the motor will run and spit out the aerial mast. feed the new mast cable into the hole and turn off the radio guiding the mast into the hole. Refit the lock ring and rubber seal. Job done. Having said that, if the little plastic gear has stripped 'cos you haven't cleaned the antenna mast and oiled it by wiping it with a rag soaked in WD40 then it's time for a whole new unit - big ouch, trousers down and spanked well by Mr T".

I hope im not getting into trouble here, ive referenced all the info.

So... am i wright in thinking you dont remove the motor at all. All you have to do is remove the rubber seal at the bottom of the aerial?

Ive just orderd a new MR2 manual so ill have all the answers soon BUT for now ill just annoy everyone and ask questions.

Spot the impatient one! :ffs:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Hi Mate,

With mine being slightly different from yours I cannot advise on taking it out as mine does not run through the spoiler.

I had to take mine to bits as I got it second hand and there was no aerial and the old plastic teeth where still in side the unit, so far ive found it to be a snip to strip and re-assemble not got round to putting it back on the car yet but will let you know.

All the best mate.

Dave

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links