Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Turbo - 17mpg?

Buckie

Hi!!

Some advice - what sort of MPG should I expect from my 1990 MR2 Turbo???

Town driving, I am getting about 17mpg and that's driving good, not spooling up the turbo all the time.

Car has Super Apexi Induction, Full SS Zorst, boost @ 1.0bar, SAFC etc.

Had the SAFC tuned by a place in Scotland - which has reduced the fuel by 11% at max revs.

My pals M3 gets more MPG and that's when he has been flooring it - driving me and my wallet nuts.

Any ideas???

Cheers

Buckie

You should be getting more than that :eek:

As an average, I get around 25/26 during the week (I do a fair bit of motorway driving back and for to work), but that tails off to as low as 15/16 on the weekends for obvious reasons :D

Mine is a fairly decent state of tune, and producing a fair bit of rwhp, but I'd be getting real p1ssed if I was getting that mpg just driving like miss daisy.

Sumfink's up dude.

Tell me about it - costing a fortune.

When I got the SAFC tuned up, I was getting about 25+ MPG and that was driving not super hard but at least using the turbo a lot - now I am getting 17mpg and ensuring the guage doesn't go into + on the boost....!

Am taking it into a garage Monday for full oil/filter job - will get him to measure the mix rating, see what it says - funny though, casue it just passed the MOT a few weeks ago on gas tests - if it was running stupid rich, should have failed - no??

On another point - since adding the Hayward Scott Zorst (which is almost like running with no backboxes - sounds mental) - the boost hits 0.8 in 1st and 2nd but 1.1 and 1.2 above that in 3rd, 4th etc etc.

Is 1.1 or 1.2 a little much for a Gen1 Turbo??

I have a hayward and scott NoS system installed - 75bhp - thinking of selling it as I haven't used it in Months - anyone interested? - large chrome bottle etc.

Cheers

i'd take a look at replacing your thermostat mate, i know a fair few GT4 owners had the same problem including myself £15 and all sorted :D

Thermostat - thanks - will do... take it fensport will do them??

Another thought is - could the car be running on full choke all the time?? - how would this occur and how would I know (apart from the obvious low MPG)

Cheers

Have you checked simple things like seized brakes and handbrake problems?

Does the car feel sluggish?

Once the car has warmed up do the revs settle down when you're idling?

Hi,

No - the car is rapid - faster than it has ever been now Zorst is on etc - boost holds well etc - seems fine.

After a bit the revs do settle to normal - the output on the SAFC reads 800 revs - idles nice.... If running on choke though, wouldn't the revs settle but the car be running super rich?

Cheers

Hi,

No - the car is rapid - faster than it has ever been now Zorst is on etc - boost holds well etc - seems fine.

After a bit the revs do settle to normal - the output on the SAFC reads 800 revs - idles nice.... If running on choke though, wouldn't the revs settle but the car be running super rich?

Cheers

Yes it would. I doubt it's the choke sticking on. I'd look further than this. Not sure what changing the thermostat will do either other than allow your engine to run at the right temp :blink: If it's running cold then yes, but other than that...

I'd check the normal stuff, like air filter, plugs etc.

HTH

Ive just garaged my tubbie and bought a general runabout thanks to the STUPID mpg you get out of these cars. Awesome car - not for general use tho!! Unless your rich :thumbsup:

I had a rev 2 for over two years and then a rev 5 for another 2 years - I never had any worries about the mpg figures. Mid to high 20's (sometimes higher depending on where I was going).

ive had this problem lately with my n/a, im having to fill up alllllll the time. it wasnt this bad before? any ideas?

Yep they are heavy on the fuel. But hey you dont buy a car with is capable of 140 + mph and dont expect that you are going to get great miles to the gallon :lol: It's what the turbo was made for. For having fun in it mate and nothing else :thumbsup:

jerry!!

This might sound silly but check your tyres are pumped up properly, even if they are down just a bit it can make a big difference to the amount of pertol used.

if the thermostat is dodgy then the choke may stay open or closed at random times, like i said i've had it happen to me and a few mates have had the same, another reason could be the lamda SAP motorsport do a universal one that fits and is about £100 cheaper than Mr T prices

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links