Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Problems With Your Gear Lever?

Al J

Has your gear shift deteriorated?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Has your gear shift deteriorated?

• No, it's as good as the day I bought it
    • Yes, it's gettng clunky
    • Other (please give details)

My car was serviced and also passed its first MOT on December 29th. Pleased about that but I complained about the gear selection and they said at the dealers it was OK.

I knew it wasn't, as about three months ago the gear shift had become very clunky and mechanical. Changing from 4th to 3rd or 2nd had become a nightmare. Nothing wrong with the gears just selecting them in the first place!

Anyway, I took it back again and they said they'd repair it so on Saturday 29th they had my car for three hours and £350 worth of parts later the car is working great with smooth gear changes again.

Just as well I had it done as the three year warranty runs out tomorrow!

I was told by a guy on another forum (who is a Toyota technician) that it was probably caused by agressive downchanging into corners. Moi? :yes:

The dealers said they'd done a few Yaris refits to the linkage recently so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.

I voted other because it can be funny going from 1st into 2nd... but other than that no major probs.

I've always found the yaris gear box quite clunky compared to all the cars i've driven before. There can sometimes be problems going from 1st to 2nd if you're trying to do it at some speed, and engaging reverse can also be problematic too.

Although what i can say is that the gear shifts on the Yaris is alot shorter than most cars .. just not the smoothest.

No complaints on mine. Just gotta make sure foot is welded to the ground and you have a quick, soft, sweeping hand to change the gears!

This one's fine, but my last one often refused to change into reverse without a loud crunching sound...

As I've said, glad you got it done now!

Alan

Only going in2 2nd, doesnt like droppin from 3rd 2 2nd if I'm goin over 5mph so I either slow down a bit more or stay in 3rd, goin in2 2nd from 1st is ok from memory, mayb not as smooth but ok, I'll test it out on my way home 2nite if I remember.

I said other 'cos its notchy goin from 1st to 2nd and vice-versa! Pretty annoying actually! :thumbsup:

Cheers for the replies everyone. Beginning to look like either I've been over aggressive changing down or it was just one of those faults. :thumbsup:

al you tried using your clutch

:rolleyes: Funnee! So... where would that be, mate? Is it near that footrest thingy to the left of the brake pedal? ;)

Cheers for the replies everyone. Beginning to look like either I've been over aggressive changing down or it was just one of those faults.  :thumbsup:

:rolleyes: Funnee! So... where would that be, mate? Is it near that footrest thingy to the left of the brake pedal? ;)

My gearlever was quite stiff when I bought the car which had only done 8000 miles,I greased the shaft above the gearbox (where the cables end) and after a day or two of use it is a lot smoother and not clunky any more.

No complaints on mine. Just gotta make sure foot is welded to the ground and you have a quick, soft, sweeping hand to change the gears!

Mines the same!!

The only thing I often forget is you have go right over into the "gates" in the gear box for the car to like it...I occasionally dont go over enough in 2nd gear when changing down from 3rd and altho she goes into it it feels like she really has to "push" herself into it.

LOL

Well i know the gear shift is quite "loud" on mine, but its only the same as Chris C's T-Sport essentially so i'm happy with that... Its very smooth though, 2 clicks and its in gear, no hassle.. know what you mean seveer about having to have the clutch right down, when i first got the car that kicked my behind, fine now though! Had a 1.0 courtesy car the other day, brand spanking, the gear shift in that wasn't nice at all, Chris put it best when he said it was "Rubbery"

Never had a prob with either Karis or Kaori..... but then I'm probably not the best person to ask as I only had Karis 10 months and I've only had Kaori for one month.....

i had new aftermarket linkage fitted at Mr T (under warranty of course) on my 1.0l and it improved alot and also it felt better when the gearbox oil had been changed, its a weighted linkage they fitted

i had new aftermarket linkage fitted at Mr T (under warranty of course) on my 1.0l and it improved alot and also it felt better when the gearbox oil had been changed, its a weighted linkage they fitted

Yeah, that's the one. They said it was a balanced weight or something like that. Feels great now.

Hehe :lol:

I greased the shaft

Steady on... family forum!! :D :lol:

it was "Rubbery"

Have you tried driving the new Micra... a 1.0 i had as a courtesy car had an awful gearbox... it was so imprecise and rubbery... the throw was too long and to top it all off... clutch was as light as new Helmans low low fat mayonnaise! Really not to my liking!

Trouble was that it had got very mechanical. Another word for the gear shifter's dictionary... graunchy. Used to be in a race kart team about 35 years ago. They felt smoother!

They've done a good job. Not too "rubbery" :lol:

glad your happy i felt it made a real difference look under the bonnet next to the Battery and you'll see the linkage with large cylindrical weight attached

:)

Maybe one of these is in order... (Yaris version)

TRD%20Short%20Shifter%20Kit%20for%20Celica%20ZZT231.JPG

If the gear change is notchy, one of these wont solve the problem right? In fact will getting a short shifter make the problem even worse?

glad your happy i felt it made a real difference look under the bonnet next to the battery and you'll see the linkage with large cylindrical weight attached

:)

Cheers for that. Too dark now but I'll have a look tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Update: Had a look under the bonnett and can now see the work they've done and the weight cylinder that you mentioned. Interesting. Getting car cleaned tomorrow. Looks like engine needs doing too! :yes:

Edited by Al J

I find it a problem going into 1st at times and reverse can sometimes take a good few attempts :angry:

But i still think its a great wee car wouldnt change it for the world, well maybe for a bigger engine......1.0 is so slow :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links