Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Problems With Your Gear Lever?

Al J

Has your gear shift deteriorated?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Has your gear shift deteriorated?

• No, it's as good as the day I bought it
    • Yes, it's gettng clunky
    • Other (please give details)

What is changing gear??? ;) ;) :P

**(Comment posted when I drove the MMT Yaris)**

• 1 year later...

ah mines got 107,000 on it n its quite a clunky change now but bit of force n its in no problem like to hear that a big bit of metal is movin when i change anyways :P

When cold 1st to 2nd needs a bit of time ( resists entering 2nd). When warm a lot better. Other chnages are ok. As I bought mine second hand, gearchanges are an obvious test when buying a used car especially 1to2, 2 to 1 and reverse.

Since when younger I drove cars with no syncromesh at all ( a student buying cheap 1930s cars or more modern ones with worn syncromesh) and then drove early Minis, I find a Yaris gearchange quite acceptable. A Ford Fiesta is much slicker.

I've got also this problem in my yaris 1.0lt, 1st to 2nd they are quite difficult to change..whats the best viscosity of oil that should be used?

do I damage the gearbox when I strain on the gears??

thanks

ive put yes due to having the 1st to 2nd change being a !Removed! and 3rd gear is starting to become a ho, but how much is the short shifter? coz i want!

only ever had a problem getting into reverse gear, until yesterday that is! sitting at a roundabout n had to change down from 5th to 1st . . but couldnt!! it took me ages to get it into 1st, i dread to think wot the old bloke sitting behind me was thinking!! -- '!Removed! women drivers'!! or something of the kind!!

getting into reverse is still a slight problem though!! sometimes it'll go straight away, other times it needs a bit of encouragement. 1st to 2nd and to 3rd has never been a problem (thank god!)

vicky

;)

O and Vicky you probably should have dropped into 2nd then let the revs drop a bit more into 1st (putting it into 2nd would have slowed it down more anyway). Putting it into 1st anything above 10mph is always hard! Sorry if that sounds like im telling you how to drive, i don't mean it that way at all :wacko:

;)

O and Vicky you probably should have dropped into 2nd then let the revs drop a bit more into 1st (putting it into 2nd would have slowed it down more anyway). Putting it into 1st anything above 10mph is always hard! Sorry if that sounds like im telling you how to drive, i don't mean it that way at all :wacko:

Nah, i had already stopped behind another driver, so had to go into 1st gear!

won the toyota cd player btw on eBay. will b going into kent later this wk, so mite ask the seller if i could pick it up for free as he's based there.

take car. vicky

Mine doesnt like 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st when shes cold, and reverse crunches sometimes when cold. However if you double clutch i.e. press the clutch in, let it out again, then press it in again and select the gear this time it helps with the reverse thing and 1st/reverse neutral/1st etc

Does anyone have a picture of the counterweight as per an earlier post on the thread? Mine doesnt have this and the gearchange is notchy unless the cluthch is pressed down very hard into the carpet. Its been like that since day one, which Toyota have said is normal :angry::huh:

• 2 weeks later...

So no one has any pictures of the counterweight then? What is the weight of it, a few grams or a few hundred grams?

Sorry, never took a photo of it and the car was sold two years ago. It was a sizeable thing though. Mut have been in the 500g to a kilogram bracket.

Al J thanks for the reply. So it seems it was quite a sizeable thing? DOes anyone else have one fitted?

• 7 months later...

First just to say "Helllo",(my first post).

The Wife has had problems with the gear linkage(06 T spirit),Toyota dealer in Sunthorpe (John Roe) said there was nothing wrong after having car all day.

Drove out of their car park and could'nt select 1st twice!!

left car and fetched mechanic.

Dealer then replaced selector and fitted new clutch.Mechanic stated old Selector was 'misshaped'

Car then even worse than before,took car back,Dealer apolagised and gave us 10£ of petrol to make ammends,adjusted selector.

Gearchange was fine for 2 days,now we have problems going from 2nd to 3rd.

Dealer now say's"wanna sell the car?"

Gonna run car for a week and see if it improves.

Our yaris had a new clutch under warranty, the gear selection when a bit iffy and the dealer said that hey hadnt "adjusted the synchro-mesh's" i knew that was a load of rubbish, but they had it back for a day and it seems fine now.

all yaris' are a little notchy with the selection, but i personally think its only because its such a light change that you notice it, it takes such little effort to change gear

Gearchange is usually OK, except for a few times when I've had to put it into reverse. Switching to neutral, popping the clutch and trying again usually works.

Also, the gearbox is not fond of "rally style" gearchanges. Changing from 1st to 4th which was a blast in my 323F BJ can result in a 2nd gear and a surprise in the Yaris :)

Good grief! Old threads never die, eh? I've got a different car since I posted this thread!

Gear shift seems a lot smoother on phase 2s (sorry P1 owners!) but this is just my experience. I believe it can vary from vehicle to vehicle though. I drove a Mark II Yaris a while ago and its gearchange was fine.

mine hates reverse!! how did you fix yours alan?

I think it's in the annals of this thread, mate! Mr T added a counter-balance weight inside the engine compartment.

Oh btw, they all hate reverse! Just develop the practice of depressing the clutch again and reselecting and it will be fine. :thumbsup:

First just to say "Helllo",(my first post).

The Wife has had problems with the gear linkage(06 T spirit),Toyota dealer in Sunthorpe (John Roe) said there was nothing wrong after having car all day.

Drove out of their car park and could'nt select 1st twice!!

left car and fetched mechanic.

Dealer then replaced selector and fitted new clutch.Mechanic stated old Selector was 'misshaped'

Car then even worse than before,took car back,Dealer apolagised and gave us 10£ of petrol to make ammends,adjusted selector.

Gearchange was fine for 2 days,now we have problems going from 2nd to 3rd.

Dealer now say's"wanna sell the car?"

Gonna run car for a week and see if it improves.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links