Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Panel Air Filters

M3K

Hi ppl

Who has drilled their air box, and put a replacement filter in? Does it make much difference i.e. Suction noise and any performance gain?

Cheers

Andy (M3K)

Sure you'll get a bit more 'induction noise' maybe 1-2bhp at a push..

IMHO - Buy an Apexi or a proper induction kit instead :thumbsup:

Hi ppl

Who has drilled their air box, and put a replacement filter in? Does it make much difference i.e. Suction noise and any performance gain?

Cheers

Andy (M3K)

APexi seems the best choice, im presonally hopin that we get an apexi witha cold air flow soon.

Driling air air box ive been told will invalid warranty, and psosibly put off butyer when you come to sell the car

Hi ppl

Cheers

Andy (M3K)

I've fitted a K&N direct replacement panel filter into my TS. It improves the airflow and the acceleration is smoother. No need for drilling. It is a reputed +3-4 BHP. You don't get any 'suction' noises though.

oh dear..

someone else from the 'Max Muppet' school of modifying.

Drilling the airbox wont give you any improvement in performance, but yes, you will probably cause some bad sounds from under the bonnet..

A replacement filter wont really improve performance, but it might help the engine rev smoother and eliminate some flat spots...

your better off saving up and buying a proper induction kit as chappers said..

agreed, for optimum sound, which in theory is the only reason people buy them, ur not really going 2 notice much difference then save ur pennys and buy an apexi of blitz, id recomend the apexi, seems to be the most popular of the kits across the board

Personally I have had Apexi and I wasnt so impressed. It increased fuel consumption a little bit. Maybe the sound was little bit louder but not so big different then I expected. The best thing is Apexi maintanance free and filtration is very good. However I sold my Apex and ordered K&N panelfilter. You can easily do coldair intake pipe to orginal airbox and get air from front grill or somewhere else. K&N produce great filters and dont worry because it is "wet". If you do filter maintanance properly and dont use too much oil you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Apexi is the best filter in market but their induction kit sucks hot air and I don't like that.

Personally I have had Apexi and I wasnt so impressed. It increased fuel consumption a little bit. Maybe the sound was little bit louder but not so big different then I expected. The best thing is Apexi maintanance free and filtration is very good. However I sold my Apex and ordered K&N panelfilter. You can easily do coldair intake pipe to orginal airbox and get air from front grill or somewhere else. K&N produce great filters and dont worry because it is "wet". If you do filter maintanance properly and dont use too much oil you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Apexi is the best filter in market but their induction kit sucks hot air and I don't like that.

Ive got to agree with what you say, i personally want a system that only draws in cold air, i supsected the air does drwa warm air in which isnt good performance wise.

What do you suggest?, im not at all interested about sound just performance

Theres ways to illiminate the hot air intake, through use of heat shields and a decent cold air feed, or if ur realy up for it move the filter itself to a different position within the engine

Theres ways to illiminate the hot air intake, through use of heat shields and a decent cold air feed, or if ur realy up for it move the filter itself to a different position within the engine

i've moved mine, turned the Battery and filter now sits straight at front

behind the headlight.

oh and i've had both the apexi and the blitz sus metal and have to say the

blitz was better,and i had no problem with its filtration.

my problem with it was its size too big to sit at the front of my engine.

I've just put a Jetex (£27+postage) into my D-4D and it pulls from tickover and revs more freely, induction roar sounds slightly deeper too.

i drilled airbox and used it a couple of times! BUT i aint stupid because i bought the front end of airbox off scrapped yaris and thats the one i used the drill on! Just sold it on eBay ;) it does give noise, and it sounds like the pipercross induction kit, NO bad noises from under the bonnet as fidgits suggested. All healthy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links