Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Con...

T V O R

I know summer is not on your minds at the moment, but it will soon be with us.

Just a quick reminder to everyone not to forget to give your Air Conditioning a blast for at least 10 minutes during these winter months (once a week would be good) :thumbsup:

It’s not a good idea to leave it off all through these cold miserable days (that’s if you don’t use it to de-mist) so to keep it in good working order in preparation for summer, give it a blast now!

As you were...

Yes ......I open my windows (but not for 10 minutes ;) ) occasionally. :D

Its kinda permanently switched on in my car anyway! :D

I cant wait til Summer - driving along, sun shining, tunes banging and hair still in excellent shape because I've not had to wind the windows down to cool me down! :D

I can never understand why people don't use it anyway to demist, as by nature aircon removes moisture from or "conditions" the air - Its not just designed for cooling ;)

So much faster than sitting on a drive for 10 mins while it heats up in the winter months - and i can't stand using a cloth on the inside of windows to clear condensation - one of my pet hates (purely because it streaks to high heaven)

While on the subject of air-con does any one no how often you need to have it looked at (serviced) and how much it costs

I know summer is not on your minds at the moment, but it will soon be with us.

Just a quick reminder to everyone not to forget to give your Air Conditioning a blast for at least 10 minutes during these winter months (once a week would be good)  :thumbsup:

It’s not a good idea to leave it off all through these cold miserable days (that’s if you don’t use it to de-mist) so to keep it in good working order in preparation for summer, give it a blast now!

As you were...

Woops.... :rolleyes:

Is it not included in the toyota service??

CB :thumbsup:

Dunno

Cars due for its first service next month so will have to ask

yeah i use it every day on cold mornings to get rid of the mist!

Oh boy ... i havent used mine for quite some time now .. as it kills the mpg and power. Hmm ... best give it a quick blast tomorrow then! :lol:

Is it not included in the toyota service??

CB :thumbsup:

Yes - Air Conditioning Inspection and Re-Gassing is part of Mr T's service package if required!

I cant wait til Summer - driving along, sun shining, tunes banging and hair still in excellent shape because I've not had to wind the windows down to cool me down!  :D

Me too :thumbsup:

Ah shucks, don't have Air Con.. Windows down-shades on, arm resting on the window bit P-o-s-e-r :bye:

I may seem very thick, but why does Air Con affect Fuel economy?

Also, does it only cool, i thought Air Con kept the air a certain temp, wether warm or cold?

I suspect i have got this totally wrong.

I may seem very thick, but why does Air Con affect Fuel economy?

Also, does it only cool, i thought Air Con kept the air a certain temp, wether warm or cold?

I suspect i have got this totally wrong.

Just a tad!

Air Conditioning is as the name says... a conditioner of the air!

Air Con acts a de-humidifier, and air-purifyer, when this is working and the fans are on, it clears the rubbish out of the air which is why it's colder, and if you have it on with heat, it's no hotter, but clears the windows etc much quicker.

Only thing with air-con is that if it's one of those wierd clammy days... it may fog your window slightly, and if you turn air-con off after it's being on, it can also cause a lot of fogging.

To keep air-temperature constant as you say, a car requires a different system known as Climate Control. This allows you to set a desired temperature and fan speed. In some fancier systems you can determine humidity too. But these systems automatically activate the air-con if required, and don't if not.

Air-con and climate control will affect fuel economy because the air-conditioning unit is driven by the engine, which causes extra effort on the engine, which causes it to use more fuel. But it isn't as drastic as some people say. You may loose 2mpg of your average over the month, which if you get 300 miles out of your tank, means you'll get 280 instead. Not a bad price to pay in summer when your sweating like a spanish bull.

Here endeth the lesson! :thumbsup:

Thats cool,

i have actually just read up on Air Con (while dealing with a family crisis, superman or what).

I found that it runs through a magnetic clutch off the engine. So i understand how it will use some power, but i would have though it wouldn't be any more than anything else, say the alternator or the water pump. But hey, im not a mechanic, so i will accept that it does and leave it at that.

I've been told.

Climate Control is great, was once in a Porsche 911 Turbo with CC and it wos a hot summers days and he set it to like 15 degrees C and it cooled down almost instantly, amazing thing!

The porsche was none to shabby either, 135mph before you knew where you were! :thumbsup:

I found that it runs through a magnetic clutch off the engine. So i understand how it will use some power, but i would have though it wouldn't be any more than anything else, say the alternator or the water pump. I've been told.

The Alternator and water pump are always driven though, so the mpg of the car automatically includes these. If it were possible to run the engine without driving the alternator, pumps etc then fuel economy would increase. ( DON'T TRY IT ANYONE ! ) :D

Aircon is an 'On Demand' strain added to the engine, so mpg is reduced as the engine is driving extras .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links