Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stealth Shelf

RossP

Due to me being absolutely bored out of my mind most weekends and getting fairly p****d off with my parcel shelf rattling away over any frigging bump I go over, I have a project for the weekend, this being building a new parcel shelf. I have some Marine Plywood left over from renovating the restaurant that I work in. Will this be alright to use for the shelf?I have measured it, it is 18mm thick.

Next up. Stealth shelves. There isn't much need for these in Cyprus as car crime is low, but is on the rise now, and would rather knock it on the head before my Speakers get nicked! Problem is, no-one has heard of one here (useless people) and I don't have a clue how to go about making one... :unsure:

So can any of you get up a pic of yours so I can have an idea of how to make one?

Cheers,

Ross

All you do is make your shelf put the 6x9's on it and then cover the whole lot in whatever material you feel like and therefore your Speakers are hidden! Think thats how its work anyway! :thumbsup:

I think you gotta add an extra 'thin' layer of MDF with speaker holes cut in on top of the layer that has the Speakers actually attatched to it, then cover it in acoustic carpet.

MDF, cut if to shape. Make the 6x9 holes. Cover the shelf in accoustic carpet. Screw the 6x9 to the bottom of the shelf, so they line up with the holes.

MDF, cut if to shape. Make the 6x9 holes. Cover the shelf in accoustic carpet. Screw the 6x9 to the bottom of the shelf, so they line up with the holes.

spot on :thumbsup:

I wouldnt have thought ply would be very good!better of spending a couple of quid on a sheet of MDF as it is alot denser that ply, so will sound better!

CB :thumbsup:

I wouldnt have thought ply would be very good!better of spending a couple of quid on a sheet of MDF as it is alot denser that ply, so will sound better!

CB :thumbsup:

Hhhmmmm will try to liberate some MDF as well then...make the two shelves and compare. Thanks for that!

Yeh I thought put them in through the top, and let the "edge" of the 6x9 sit on the top of the shelf and then cover up. But apparently so told screw to the bottom...

The only other thing to think about is after a while the cloth tends to sag where the speaker holes are

Best way round this is to use some chicken wire stapple it over the holes and then put the cloth over the top

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links