Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jury Service

Blue84

Hello All!

Got home from work 40 minutes go, to find a nice big letter waiting for me saying I have been summoned for Jury Service in a couple of months!

Has anyone here done it? Whats it like?

I've gone one benefit tho - it's in the Town where I work, so I will be able to use my special parking permit for the Yaris that I use whenever I'm at work anyway so won't have to pay for parking :yes:

Cheers

Blue

I've not done it but I know people who have - apparently its not easy - you have remain impartial throughout, even though you think the person is guilty or innocent and you mustn't divulge any of the case to anyone.

TBH I hope its something I never have to do as its hard to not get emotionally involved, but everyone has to do it eventually I imagine!

Is it not a choice then? that sucks!

What happens if you have to work that day? Do you have to take it as part of your holiday? or unpaid leave?

Either way its cr*p, only people that are in a mood should do it as convicting people obviously makes you feel better .. why do you think so many people join the police?lol

Almost impossible to get out of and i have had to do it twice ,spent most of the time sitting around on the first week, and watched how this goverment wastes our money on a weeks trial of two blokes caught selling dodgy perfume in oxford st on the second week .

No you don't get a choice. If you haven't got any convictions and you are on the electoral role you have to do it pretty much when summoned! Your workplace HAS to release you on full pay, and you can't discuss the case with anyone, not even members of your family. To be honest i wouldn't mind, a friend of mine did it and he said it was really interesting, but yeah like DA said you can't go in with a closed mind, you have to be completely impartial and only base your decision on the evidence given at the trial.

Someone's got to make sure these criminal types aren't roaming the streets, i can't see it being a problem to be honest, i'd love to do it!

how does this work

anyone under those conditions can be called, and thats that?

how does this work

anyone under those conditions can be called, and thats that?

Yep I think its just a name out of a hat so to speak! :D Only honest upstanding citizens get to do it.

But yeah you do get full pay and all expenses too I think, such as parking etc reimbursed by the government (or something like that)

haha, well thatll be a 500mile round trip, dinner for 7 and parking in buckingham palaces living room

ta very much!

GUILTY!

So if you have ever had a conviction you are safe????

Been there done that worn the tee-shirt----Got the money! :thumbsup:

Two weeks jury duty.

Went in first day, nothing to do sent home told to call special number, still nothing to do, sat at home for two weeks.

Got wages plus expenses thankyou very much. :lol:

yep i've done it too, it was great fun!!

got 2weeks off work paid, all meals paid,travel expenses paid,

i enjoyed it also sent someone down for 2 years..he'll be out now :ph34r:

I've done jury service twice, 2 weeks each. I did about 3 days of actual trials both times, most of the time was sitting around in the jury room waiting or being sent home.

The only thing to watch out for is if you are selected for a long trial on the first day. The judge will ask if there is any reason why you can't serve for longer than two weeks. Work excuses are not acceptable but personal ones are - for example, that you're going on holiday the week after.

You'll get parking expenses and lunch allowance. There is some sort of pay allowance if your employer doesn't pay you anyway.

You'll often wait in the Jury room until mid/late morning before being dismissed - don't park in your employers car park if they'll expect you to go in at that time!

Overall, very frustrating but you will get some time off.

Hope you have moved house since he went down!

:o

AND I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mate of mine got called up and he had been done 2 years previously for TWOCing.

Don`t know if it made a difference cos he only got CS instead of being sent down :huh:

I now know why i was called and my other half never has been :lol:

Hope you have moved house since he went down!

:o

i went to jury duty in disguise :ph34r: but just in case best go pack my case :P

thats no joke i put my contact lenses in wore different style clothes and even

dyed my hair...bit xtreme but you never know what nutters are watching :wacko:

Hello All!

Has anyone here done it? Whats it like?

Cheers

Blue

When you go into the courtroom, there are enough of you there to fill 5 jury's. They call out everones name to check that everyone has turned up., once everyone is there, they put all the names "in the hat" as it were, and draw 15 ( i think) at random, the rest are told to remain in the building. (lol i s*** meself.. my name was called 1st.. was told my jaw dropped and my face "was a picture" lol).

The ones not chosen for the 1st 15 need to stay incase they need to be called later, they may also be picking more than one jury as there maybe more than one case being heard.

The 15 lucky buggers who got called are led away to the jury room for tea and coffee etc, where they are told a few of the details of the case. It's at this point they tell you who the defendant is, and if anyone knows who it is, the are told not to say why, but are asked to leave and join the others outside, another name is then drawn.

Once they are happy with the jury, the case begins. If (as what happened in the case i was in) someone knows a witness that is called, they must put up their hand and inform the judge, the full jury is led away to the jury room.Another jurer is picked and the case restarts.

Thats just a quick scenario for you... but remember i am in Scotland, and Scottish law is different.

During the case i was involved with,, it turned out another jurer knew someone invilved in the trial.. on a break this person told all of us all about it. The result... lmao we were ALL replaced by a new jury, we lasted 3 days lol.

Don't forget if you are called and you're not religious, you can "affirm"  :thumbsup:

How/what do you mean? (Sorry for being gormless folks...)

Don't forget if you are called and you're not religious, you can "affirm"  :thumbsup:

They ask you to put your right hand on the bible and swear to tell the truth, the whole truth an.. etc.

But if you are not religious they ask you to affirm.. a solem promise as it were.. just to put you under oath to tell the truth.

They ask you to put your right hand on the bible and swear to tell the truth, the whole truth an.. etc.

But if you are not religious they ask you to affirm.. a solem promise as it were.. just to put you under oath to tell the truth.

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links