Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Always On Live Feed

sotal

I need an always on live feed for my GPS unit.

I have found the best place for it, which is in the armrest cubby hole. The only problem is that due to the thickness of the plastic it takes ages to get a lock on sats from in there. Once it has got a lock though it keeps tracking them with no problem. Therefore I want to keep it powered all the time from my car Battery - It shouldn't drain much power.

I pulled the panel off which has the cig lighter socket in it, but there isn't a lot behind there. I'm guessing the radio will have a permanent live (yellow I think) which isn't too far away but does anyone know of a closer one? I don't know how to get the radio out either - I guess there was a couple of thin metal plates which slot down either side - but the radio (panasonic) was already in when I got the car!

Any suggestions?

I need an always on live feed for my GPS unit.

I have found the best place for it, which is in the armrest cubby hole. The only problem is that due to the thickness of the plastic it takes ages to get a lock on sats from in there. Once it has got a lock though it keeps tracking them with no problem. Therefore I want to keep it powered all the time from my car battery - It shouldn't drain much power.

I pulled the panel off which has the cig lighter socket in it, but there isn't a lot behind there. I'm guessing the radio will have a permanent live (yellow I think) which isn't too far away but does anyone know of a closer one? I don't know how to get the radio out either - I guess there was a couple of thin metal plates which slot down either side - but the radio (panasonic) was already in when I got the car!

Any suggestions?

Where`s the clock situated on a Gen 6? That has a permanent live feed. :thumbsup:

!Removed! lighter should have permanent live.

!Removed! lighter switches off with ignition :thumbsup:

Had another look today, and one of the little blanking plates next to the alarm light popped out and fell down the hole - can't find the bugger anywhere! I'll have to take it all apart now!

There is a massive space behind the gearstick etc - they should have designed a nice cubby hole into there!

So the clock feed will be powerful enough? It's probably just as easy to get one from the radio though by the time I'm up that far.

I'll have a proper look at the weekend with my multimeter - it keeps going dark before I get home - so I can't see to do anything!

The clock or radio feed are your best options. I would go for the radio supply as it's probably easier to get to than the clock, and should already be fused high enough to handle the extra load.

Is there nowhere else you can put the gps unit (glovebox, under the dash somewhere, space behind the gearstick)? It really needs line of sight to the satellites through the car windows, the metalwork of the roof will shield it too much. I am surprised you find the centre console the best place.

Alternatively get an external ariel, I think you can get ones that mount on the outside of a window with double sided tape, another half sticks to the inside of the glass, picking up the signal.

IIRC the DOME fues is 10A, should handle most equipment. I'm running an HKS boost controller, the Defi gauge controller, an intake temp sensor readout and something else which I can't remember (duh) off the clock feeds for BATT, IGN and ACC.

I got 10 minutes today - when I was waiting in the car, so I found a screw driver and took the facia off from round the heater controls etc. I see why you say to tak it from the clock. Much easier to get to seeing as the clock comes out with the facia.

Will have to get the multimeter out, should do the trick though :thumbsup: does anybody happen to know what each colour wire does?? If not I'll just have to work it out!

@mikeb - yeah I was suprised how well it worked there! it picks up 7 satellites and keeps a 75%+ lock on them. It just seemed a nice place to put it. Originally I was going to put it on the underside of the parcel shelf in the boot and connect it to the live side of the boot light switch, but I like it next to me incase I do need to fiddle with it.

Having it hidden is a must, but I would also like to get it out easily if I want to use it in another vehicle etc.

The recommended place to put them is under the sun visor - but the shape of mine makes this too awkward.

Having it in the armrest does make it take longer to find the satellites. If I put it on the dash it takes about 45 seconds, in the armrest it takes about 3 mins. Once it has a lock on the satellites it keeps a good lock on - that's why I want a permanent live so it never goes flat!

i think u could use a live from the electric areial. or even one that goes to the stereo and split it.

if u have an amp under the seat theirs one there also,

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links