Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Sizes?

Razor_Rage

as some of you know i've just bought a set of new rims for the 2, they're 7" all around and i was going to get 215/40/17 on the front and 235/40/17 for the rears.

http://hem.bredband.net/razor_rage/17tum.jpg

now my mate has told me that getting 235's for the rears on a 7" rim is not a good idea as it messes up the stabilization of the car.

what does everyone else on here say? i really need good advice on this, and if you know another good dimension which is better to use please say!

Thanks in Advance!

Mathias

Hi mate on my 2 im running 205/40/17 front and 235/40/17 rear and it sticks to the road like you know what to a blanket.

two things though

1) dont quote me on this but would a 215 on the front might scrub on full lock as my 205's are very close on lock wouldnt like to say with a 215.

2) low profiles have a tendancy to tramline in the grooves that HGV's make in the roads but i dont know what the roads are like in Sweden

HTH

Steve

what revision is yours mate? and what width do you have on the rims?

my rims have ET35 tho, so shouldn't be a problem.... i think

ive got that setup.. didnt notice much difference.. but then i had to take em off a few das after the snow started!.. :crybaby:

IMG_1180.JPG

i have 205 on my yaris, thought the mr2 would want to be a wider (on the rear)

lol..

the standard sizes for the MR2 is

195 front and 225 rears.. :P

Mine is a Rev 1 and TBH i dont know my rim width as i just told the company who supplied my wheels what size tyres i wanted.

But would have thought you would get a 235 on a 7" rim

But if Fizz is using that set up and the car is the same revision as yours and the rim width is the same you should be ok.

But dont quote me on it im more a Hilux man than a MR2 man.

All the best

Steve

a 7j rim (7") is only 175mm across.... (25mm = 1".. x7 = 175) it will be a tight squeeze getting the 235's on, the tread will be a full inch (either side) wider than the alloy, normally the mr2's have wider alloys on the back to accomodate the wider tyres.

I'm not saying they won't fit.. i think they will go on , but it will be a really tight squeeze for the tyre fitter, i know i've fitted a few myself.

If the car has 195/55x15's as standard on the front, i don't think 235's will fit on the front . infact i KNOW they won't (i've tried (on non modded)) i wouldn't go wider than a 215/40x17 ( not even sure if theese fit.. i can't remember) 205/40x17's will be ok tho.

Hope it helps.

a 7j rim (7") is only 175mm across....  (25mm = 1".. x7 = 175) it will be a tight squeeze getting the 235's on, the tread will be a full inch (either side) wider than the alloy, normally the mr2's have wider alloys on the back to accomodate the wider tyres.

I'm not saying they won't fit.. i think they will go on , but it will be a really tight squeeze for the tyre fitter, i know  i've fitted a few myself.

If the car has 195/55x15's as standard on the front, i don't think 235's will fit on the front . infact  i KNOW they won't (i've tried (on non modded)) i wouldn't go wider than a 215/40x17 ( not even sure if theese fit.. i can't remember) 205/40x17's will be ok tho.

Hope it helps.

I dont think he is wanting 235's up front... i belive he is chattin about the same setup as me..

215/40/17 front

235/40/17 rear...

My car has 7x17" on them.. and i know a few MR2 lads runing this setup with no problems.. :yes:

I aint sayin its ideal.. but they aint causing them any problems.. :bookworm:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links