Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic

Antd4agze

Hi

I know this topic has been discussed many times before,but I specifically want to know how easy it is to get used to driving an auto supra mkiv.I have been driving for about 10yrs and never drove an auto before.I'm hoping to buy a mkiv in the next few months and all the reviews on the auto box seem good to me.The car will be a daily driver,but I won't have much traffic along the way and I won't travel much more than 5miles to work everyday.The thing is,I love driving with my gears...if you know what I mean and don't know if I will get frustrated with the auto box.I know everyone says to go and drive both,but haven't seen any nearby for sale/have friends with a mkiv.

Any advise/suggestions appreciated

Cheers

Ant :)

A pedal for go, a pedal for stop.. its easy mate...

just make sure your left leg is wedged on the footrest fora the first few miles, or you'll find it going for the clutch pedal and stomping the brakes!

You will love the Supra auto, you can still feel involved with the drive, by manual operation the lever, but with the O/D and power , economy buttons, your sure to be kept occupied :D

you'll find it going for the clutch pedal and stomping the brakes!

:lol: thats something I was a bit concerned about especially with driving such a powerful auto as the supra.

Thanx for the reply mate

You will love the Supra auto, you can still feel involved with the drive, by manual operation the lever, but with the O/D and power , economy buttons, your sure to be kept occupied  :D

I suppose the best thing to do then is to make a better effort in trying to testdrive one and then buy :D

Cheers

Ant

hello mate. auto is ok but you will get bored with it. and want to go back

to man. :thumbsup:

hello mate. auto is ok but you will get bored with it. and want to go back

to man.  :thumbsup:

Argghh no :unsure: Don't say that.From all the searches I've done on the auto box on the different forums,it does seem that most people who have them are pretty happy.I guess I'll never know until I actually drive an auto :rolleyes:

or you'll find it going for the clutch pedal and stomping the brakes!

Yeah and just incase your left foot does get a bit itchy make sure you're wearing your seatbelt (as everybody should anyway) as if you do go for the clutch your nose is likely to meet with the windscreen if you're not restrained.

As for the auto vs. manual debate it is ages old and chances are you will be happy with either. But defenitely try to test drive both so that you can be sure in your own mind.

i've always had manual but the supra is one of the best auto boxes on market and you can always put it in manual mode if so wish.

Mines an auto and funnily enough the first auto I ever drove was a hire car on the way to pick mine up.

I love the auto box. It allows me to cruise casually most of the time and when I feel like letting off some steam , I press the manual button and drop the car down to 2nd..... well I've started to use 1st now aswell and it's so much more fun.

If you drive calmly on your shorter journeys, the auto will probably save you on fuel as it changes gear at low revs. For motorway miles though, it's only a 4 speed, compared to the manuals 6.

For me, if I had a manual, I would probably have been a much more aggressive driver and that's where the auto has paid its dividends.

yep - auto Supra TT was my first ever auto box and it is real easy to use and the performance is there as nad when you need it - For me a manual 6-spped in a UK Turbowas a big no-no merely bcos the car was too heavy and the box felt stiff going into 1st/2nd, also selecting wrong gears was real easy - i didnt even have to try :P :D

I felt you have really got to 'give it some' to feel th epower of the TT's in aa manual but you are much more relaxed in an Auto Supra TT

Cheers

Rash.

p.s. If you're nr my neck of woods (in the nr future) i currently have an Auto UK Supra TT that you can take for a spin :thumbsup:

Hi

I know this topic has been discussed many times before,but I specifically want to know how easy it is to get used to driving an auto supra mkiv.I have been driving for about 10yrs and never drove an auto before.I'm hoping to buy a mkiv in the next few months and all the reviews on the auto box seem good to me.The car will be a daily driver,but I won't have much traffic along the way and I won't travel much more than 5miles to work everyday.The thing is,I love driving with my gears...if you know what I mean and don't know if I will get frustrated with the auto box.I know everyone says to go and drive both,but haven't seen any nearby for sale/have friends with a mkiv.

Any advise/suggestions appreciated

Cheers

i found the best thing to do is go to a jap importers, they usually have manuals and auto's in stock ;) , i made the dission on a auto after driving 1 or 2 manuals and i must say the auto is a pukka drive, ive always drove manuals but this auto deffinantly puts a smile on my face, the box is very lively :thumbsup:

Thanx for the advise chaps,much appreciated.Oh and Rash,I was actually gonna ask you to help me look for a good UK spec MKIV :D.I'm off to South Africa on the 21March and will only officially be in the market for one after then...don't know what I might buy in Capetown so gotta hold on to the pennies for now :lol: .Thanx for the offer I live near the Safari Park in Liverpool which I suppose is not that far from you,but dunno if I'll make it to yours before my trip to SA...so many things to do before :( .Thanx anyway ,will probably contact you again some time.

Cheers

no probs Ant :thumbsup: have a good and safe trip....

Rash.

Thanx mate.I'll get in contact with you again at some point :yes:

Cheers

Ant

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links