Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed Camera Vans And Gatsos

earpl

went round a corner yesterday, boof camera van 20yds away.... look down at the clck. 35mph **** oh well.... it happens. but i just want to know why these vans are allowed to hide around corners? it just doesn't seam right.... im not trying to get out of it, it just doesnt seam right that they are allowed to hide them..... here's a pic of the derbyshire one on another occasion....

cameravan0ea.jpg

no this webby is so funny, click on gatso's and the vandalised gatsos... gives you ideas eh? :P

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm

I was always under the impression that as long as the signs are up....

camera_sign_230x196.gif

....they can hide wherever they like - its not like you didnt have any warning.....

cant remember seeing signs, i'll have to have a look. like i said, im not trying to get out of it, i just think its wrong and dangerous that they can hide, what if i'd anchoured up and the car behind me ran in to me?

ah but if you hadnt been going over the limit then you wouldnt have had to anchor on and get hit by the car behind..and the car behind should've also left more distance for braking :yes:

well, I'm actually with Chris on this one, they have a nice bright warning on the rear of the van, and then park sideways!

Okay, so he shouldnt of been going 35 in a 30 - but they do it everywhere, and at the end of the day, IMHO, its more dangerous to drive glancing at your speedo every 15 seconds to ensure you stick to the limit than paying attention to the road and pavements...

exactly you drive through a town theres **** signs everywhere, **** road markings every where, **** lights everywhere, busses cycle & taxi lanes, peds. you've got to look at your speed, mirrors. i dont know where the time comes from to look where your going, let alone find where your going. oh and then they change the lanes every weekend. linch the city planners!!!

is there any law stating you cant park behind the camera vans?

exactly you drive through a town theres **** signs everywhere, **** road markings every where, **** lights everywhere, busses cycle & taxi lanes, peds. you've got to look at your speed, mirrors. i dont know where the time comes from to look where your going, let alone find where your going. oh and then they change the lanes every weekend. linch the city planners!!!

dont think so, my dad does it quite often in the van they jus have to sit there an wait til he moves, :lol:

M8 thats Duffield garage...always a speedy camera thre m8!! its a well known place for them. Also up the road just after Alestree golf course theres on hidden there too.

I always slow down before the garage when visiting the parents cos I know hes sat there!!!!!!!!

Well, most of them park illeagaly.. like the above picture... it's illeagle to park so close to a junction (at least it looks like it could be a junction of some sort) so in a lot of cases you would be illeagaly parked too.

Well, most of them park illeagaly.. like the above picture... it's illeagle to park so close to a junction (at least it looks like it could be a junction of some sort) so in a lot of cases you would be illeagaly parked too.

As you say even if a police vehicle is parked illegal and you park behind it they will more than likely nick you.

And if you then say "so were you" they will bring up some reason why they were parked there and then make your life hell.

Trust me i upset a police officer once and wiggled out of a fine on a technicality and they hounded me for weeks trying to nick me for something or other but to no avail.

yeah tom, but i got done in bakewell he was parked on the grass verge opposite the jet station looking right at the corner coming out of bakewell.

steve, happened to me before, you ***** one off and they put your insex out and every one you pass stops you. just have to make sure you do nothing wrong.

yeah tom, but i got done in bakewell he was parked on the grass verge opposite the jet station looking right at the corner coming out of bakewell.

steve, happened to me before, you ***** one off and they put your insex out and every one you pass stops you. just have to make sure you do nothing wrong.

After i wiggled out of my fine about 3-4 days later they stopped me 3 times in one night and there excuse was a car matching my cars disciption had been stolen

and evey night for 2-3 days when i finished work there was a officer waiting with a speed gun on my route home.

If you can't do this then you should not have passed your driving test.

If you can't do this then you should not have passed your driving test.

exactly

thousands of us manage it safely every day

ffs im not saying that im saying it vastly increases the chance of an accident. personally i think speed cameras are dangerous as people slowdown from 40 to 30, even when its a 40 because there are no signs near the cameras....... people just see a camera and think *****, and slam the brakes on....

Jeebus give Earl a break!!! talk about jumping on a friggin man down. :censor: becoming disolusioned nowadays with this site

ffs im not saying that im saying it vastly increases the chance of an accident. personally i think speed cameras are dangerous as people slowdown from 40 to 30, even when its a 40 because there are no signs near the cameras....... people just see a camera and think *****, and slam the brakes on....

been there done that

was hopelessly lost in leeds, trying to find my away around, wasnt paying attention to speed, braked quite harshly when i saw the camera.

I dont think i was even speeding....

Not wanting to have a go or anything but there are signs on the road saying 'slow' and you shouldn't have been speeding... you could've hit that poor bloke and his two doggies! ;)

Not wanting to have a go or anything but there are signs on the road saying 'slow' and you shouldn't have been speeding... you could've hit that poor bloke and his two doggies! ;)

Exactly.

By the way Earpl the way the police work out whether or not to take it any further if here

speed limit + 10% of speed limit + 2 mph

So in a 30mph limit

30 + 3 + 2 = 35mph

You should be OK - hope your speedo is accurate

here's a pic of the derbyshire one on another occasion

I don't think that is where he got 'done'.. So the bloke and his doggies are quite safe :P

been there done that

was hopelessly lost in leeds, trying to find my away around, wasnt paying attention to speed, braked quite harshly when i saw the camera.

I dont think i was even speeding....

Dito on that

IMHO i think speed camrea's, saftey camrea's a what ever you want to called them are a distraction in some places but a good idea in others. Just as a idea has anyone on here got any statistics that speed camrea's have reduced the number of deaths and accidents on the roads.

As an example

near to where i live on a stretch of the A47 going through a small village the residents wanted a bypass but they fitted speed camera's put up and traffic calming as there cars speeded through the village and the residents found it hard to cross the road but major accidents were very rare.

As soon as the camera's went up loads of accidents started to happen 3 people died within a year, weather the accidents would have happend anyway who knows.

Dont get me wrong im not saying that speed camera's cause accidents as drivers do that but camera's seem to cause drivers to worry about getting a ticket rather than looking were they are going.

I just dont feel that speed camera's are serveing the purpose they were ment to do.

Sorry for the essay.

speed cameras on the 50 zone are the worst, seen people braking from 80+ when they see the cameras... Now they shouldnt have been speeding anyway, and they deserve the ticket, but braking extra harshly from very fast is NOT a good idea.... specially on the one i saw which is on a slight curve and has very narrow lanes

well, I'm actually with Chris on this one, they have a nice bright warning on the rear of the van, and then park sideways!

In Bournemouth, there is actually 2 unmarked police vans with blacked out windows hiding a camera in. just plain sneaky as they park in bus stops and on double yellows.

Only way you can tell them apart is that one of the rear doors have been replaced with one that has a curved window about 1 1/2 inches longer than normal.

if some one on here can say they've never speeded.... hats off to them. the worse ones in my eyes are the ****ers who drive at 40 in a 60, into a 30 still at 40 and then back into the 60 still at 40!!!!

tom. for a pig fan your pretty ok :P (wednesdayite!!)

Al he looks like he messes about with kids and i dont like dogs anyway! :P

I have no idea how you can tell that from the photo but OK, I'll let you off!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links