Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Handling After Replacing Rear Tyres

iainglennie

I have recently replaced the rear tyres on my MR2 roadster and the handling has become pretty shocking. The main problem is that it wanders from side to side at about 60 mph and above. It also feels as though it may spin out on bends even at fairly moderate speeds. I replaced the original Yoko's with Avon's which were recommended by a mate as a decent brand, not too cheep and not too expensive. I got the wheels balanced and aligned with no result. Toyota were no help at all, they said was as long as you replace them in pairs it didn't really matter what brand you use.

Has anyone else experienced similar handling problems after changing to Avon or another tyre brand?

I am now at a point where I either replace the fronts with Avons (another £125) and see if that helps or replace the rears with Yokos (£180 ish) and possibly the fronts as well. The fronts still have a good 5mm on them.

I know it sounds stupid and I don't mean it as an insult but have you checked the tyre pressure's, I have noticed a serious change in the handling with even a slight variation in different tyre pressures...

Before chaing the tyre's play around with the tyre pressures and see what happens...

Yes, although the guy that fitted them only filled them to 28psi so I had to top them up to 32? (or whatever the manual said) I'll double check anyway.

Thanks.

I had the same here, the guys did a superb job of changing the tyres and balancing, I asked for 32 front 36 rear, checked the tyres as it felt awful on the way home to find 35 front and 40 rear.....

I don't even go that high on track !!!!

This Might sound stupid but check the tyres are on the right way.

There is an arrow on most tyres which should show direction of rotation .

When you check your tyre pressures ensure that the car has not been used for about three hours before you check them (that's what it says in my Corolla handbook anyway). If you don't do this the heat created by driving will not have had a chance to dissipate and you will get false readings.

When you check your tyre pressures ensure that the car has not been used for about three hours before you check them (that's what it says in my Corolla handbook anyway). If you don't do this the heat created by driving will not have had a chance to dissipate and you will get false readings.

Although the tyre pressure may not be correct the reading will still be accurate enough to judge whether your tyres are pretty much the same pressure which is the most important thing....

Yes, tyres are on the right way, and pressure is ok.

I should add that I took it in to my dealer for them to specifically look at the problem. They checked the alignment, pressure etc. They even took it out for a test drive and said there was nothing wrong with it. When I asked them how fast they drove it they said upto 30mph! When I reminded them that the problem only happens at speeds of 60 and above they hit me with some rubbish about not being allowed to drive on motorways. A great waste of £95.

I reckon its has to be down to the Avon tyres being a softer compound or something.

Has no one else tried Avons on theirs?

Have never tried Avon's....

One thing I would always suggest with an MR2 is decent rubber, as a Mid Engine rear wheel drive car it's worth spending the extra and getting good tyre's....

From other MR2 Owners References I chose Pirelli P6000's although Goodyear F1's seem to

be very popular at the moment and very good in bothe the wet and the dry. I am also running different tyres front and back in pairs with no problems, both tyres are the saem speed rating etc etc etc....

get some good tires bro, ur driving a sports car, you need some good tires not no name brand, Yoko's, Toyo's, Bridgestones, Goodyear, Pirelli, Continental, Michelin, plenty of good tire companies...

Avon is a recognised sports brand. Some manufacturers are fitting them as standard now. E.g caterham.

should not be a problem. Check out www.tyresonline.net for good prices.

nick

Hi, I had Avon ZZ1s on my Calibra Turbo, and they seemed fine, although in the wet they do not grip nearly so well. Has anyone checked to see if the tyres are warped - one of my Avons did this and caused a wobble...

Currently my MR2 has Yokos on the front, and Falcons on the rear - I think Falcons are a great budget brand - good prices, decent tyres - good grip in wet and dry (tried and tested!)

What avon tyre did you get? and what size is it?

I only ask cos i work for avon tyres, i will pop out to the factory and ask some of the tyre tech people what they think.

and as for :-

get some good tires bro, ur driving a sports car, you need some good tires not no name brand, Yoko's, Toyo's, Bridgestones, Goodyear, Pirelli, Continental, Michelin, plenty of good tire companies...

no offence but if you aint including Avon in that list you don't know sh*t about tyres! The new ZZ3 are one of the best tyres on the market!

ZZ3 = Great in the dry and the wet, they stick to the road like sh*it to a shovel.

Colin

91CelicaGTI how do you rate the Pirelli P5000 Drago and Yokohama A539? I've heard the yoko is a bit scary in the wet but awesome in the dry.

I know they aren't avons but i would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks, Nick

whilst we're talkin tyres i have a question:

if u get aftermarket alloys -say 17 inchers, and the original spec is 15 inch with 225-55 on back and 195-55 on front - do u have to go 35's all round and keep the size difference from front to back 225 / 195?, or can u just get sum big ole' tyres - say 205's or 225's all round?

91CelicaGTI how do you rate the Pirelli P5000 Drago and Yokohama A539? I've heard the yoko is a bit scary in the wet but awesome in the dry.

I don't know that much about them, i normally have avons on so have never had either of them. From what i have heard the Pirelli P5000 is an good tyre. If the yoko is "bit scary in the wet" then i would stay away from it. with the amount of rain this county has you need a tyre that is as good in the wet as it is in the dry, if not better!

A good wet weather tyre is the Goodyear F1 my brother has them on his rover 220 and they handle like a charm in the wet! (Plus the tread pattern look cool!)

davo, the important thing is to keep the rolling diameter as close as possible to the original spec as this effects the gearing and speedo reading. Use the tyre calculator below to compare sizes.

Nick

Tyre size calculator

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links