Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Light My Fire

MrWinkey

Just been reading another post and have a few questions.

1. what is a fuel addative, how does it help and where can i get some?

2. what is a fuel system cleaner that goes in the tank, how can it help and where can i get one?

3. what is wrong with supermarket fuels?

Thats it for the questions folks. Now, i have noticed that when we use 98 ron fuel, the car pulls a lot better (it really is very noticable at lower revs, below 3k, where the car always seems sluggish) when at low revs. i find it can go up hills in 5th at very low revs without struggling.

I have also (now someone mentioned it) noticed a marked improvement in the ecomomy, it is insane at the moment. To work and back 6 days a week and then a long run on a weekend, and we get about 400miles from a fill up. Trip to work is only 3 miles and all in traffic.

As for the price difference, it is only a few pence, which works out to be only about £1.60 per fill up more. thats not a lot for the extra 100 miles we get.

First two questions... both products available at Halfords, Motorworld etc.

A fuel additive or octane booster is a product that 'boosts' the octane level in your car, effectively taking 98ron to 100ron, thus being the cleanest possible fuel and an enhancement.

A fuel system cleaner, like Slick50 fuel system treatment, is a bottle of 'stuff' that you pour into your tank, then you fill up and as that tank of fuel is used, the cleaner stuff goes to work removing any deposits in your tank, in the pipes, in the injectors and anywhere else the fuel goes, therefore cleaning up your system helping your car to run smoother, more efficiently and more cleanly. Basically, it just keeps your fuel system in the best condition.

As to supermarket fuels, there is nothing wrong with them if they're using a good supplier. Basically, supermarkets will use whatever fuel is the cheapest, so you can have the cheapest fuel, so one week you'll be filling up with Esso's finest, the next it could be the closest fuel can get to crude oil as it's the cheapest available.

So, it could be great fuel, or very bad fuel which can clog your fuel filter, your injectors and any other part in contact with the fuel.

Hope this helps!

Supermarkets buy fuel from people like Esso etc but it doesnt have the cleaners & additives in which makes it cheaper to produce

so its basic stuff with no frills

ive seen working with the likes of Citroen,VW & Toyota that Shell is normally all i will use

This info came from a BP rep

a lot of big petrol stations sell additive, power boost (i think) at about 6.99. at the moment ive got a bottle of that in and bp ultimate ROCKET FUEL! its got to be around 100 ron. Next week...............TWO BOTTLES!!

i AM NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND.

If the RON rating relates to how clean the fuel is, then surely all fuels with a 98 ron rating will be as clean as each other, regardless of where they come from?

Wont they?

Does anyone know where Sainsburys and Morrisons get their fuel from?

i AM NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND.

If the RON rating relates to how clean the fuel is, then surely all fuels with a 98 ron rating will be as clean as each other, regardless of where they come from?

Wont they?

The RON (Research Octane Number) has nothing to do with how clean fuel is but is an empirical determination for a fuel to resist detonation, and to a lesser extent pre-ignition.

It's measured by running the petrol of which you want to determine the octane rating through a 1-cylinder ASTM-CFR test engine from Waukesha Motors which has a movable cylinder head that can vary the compression ratio between 4:1 to 18:1 while the engine is running. The octane rating is determined from at what compression ratio in that test engine knock starts to occur.

Yves.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links