Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Computer Building Help!

nrgizerbunny

Hi everyone

I have just bought a new motherboard a Chaintech ZNF3-250GB PRO! :D Looks the bomb

While looking through the motherboard manual it says in banks 2 and 3, the board supports single sided ram only. Can anyone tell me what this is? :blink: I was off to get some memory off ebuyer but was having nightmares about incompatability. :crybaby:

thanks in advance.

have a nice day

sanj

Hi everyone

I have just bought a new motherboard a Chaintech ZNF3-250GB PRO!  :D Looks the bomb

While looking through the motherboard manual it says in banks 2 and 3, the board supports single sided ram only. Can anyone tell me what this is? :blink:  I was off to get some memory off ebuyer but was having nightmares about incompatability. :crybaby:

thanks in advance.

have a nice day

sanj

Never heard of anything like this before, but i wouldnt worry as most ram nowadays is single sided anyhow ;)

Single sided ram isn't actually reffering to having the chips on one side ;)

However, any decent ram you put in there will be fine.

In short, memory modules on the newer single-sided chips are denser, enabling more capacity. What took 16 chips to make a 256M module, now takes eight chips.

However older motherboards may not recognize single sided memory as such and you may find you only get half the rated memory in your system.

So unless you have a new system or recent motherboard upgrade opt for double-sided, if you have a choice.

It is not confined to DDR RAM -- Rambus RDRAM also comes in single-sided memory versions.

The main way you tell the difference is that the double sided memory modules are (usually) 16M and the single sided ones are 32M.

Just do the math: divide the rated memory by the number of modules. The single sided one should = 32 and the double sided one, 16.

I am unaware of any performance benefits of similarly rated modules. If it's PC 133, it's PC 133 whether it's single sided or not.

John Hilvert

...from this link.

Amazing what you can find on the internet! ;) :P

hi thanks for all the replies. I got a few results from google when i did a search but i coudln't do the maths :(

1024/8 = 128mb

that isn't 32 or 16!

i shall just get some memory and see what happens i think, corsair seems rather dear.

I'm running 2 x Geil® 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz with aluminium heat spreaders, and making the full use of dual channel...

Fantastic memory, suitable for overclocking, good prices.

Available... here.

:thumbsup:

thanks jesus!

i think i will get that cos it looks the bomb. although i still have a beige case from circa 98. I haven't got a clue what the latency and timing mean but still meets the spec! :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links