Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

15 Year Old Mr2

m4rk scotland

ok i hear folk going on and on at how reliable toyota's are and having driven french cars average 8year old cars for the past 3 years just how much of a difference is there?

can a 15 year old mr2 really be as relaible if not more at 80 odd thousand miles,

any feedback from people with similar cars would be great thanks.

Jap cars, along with the germans are world famous for reliability..

French cars.... well.... um. (I wont go on as the swear filter will get me)

I've not yet had a problem with my 20 year-old with 116 000 miles on it. I know of a number of Toyotas with well over 200 000 miles and still going strong B)

As long as it's been serviced properly it will go on forever :thumbsup:

Jappy, unfortunately German engineering isn't quite what it used to be. The !Removed! have stepped ahead and proved themselves when it comes to reliability B)

G reg Rev 1 with 67k on it. Driven hard every day of its life.

....never misses a beat. :thumbsup:

French cars are flimsy - but the mechanicals last..

The germans, famous for their build quality..

The !Removed!, they gave us reliable cars, the rest of the industry has been forced to catch up, and while it has, an early Jap car has the reliability of the latest ones...

Sure, if you dont look after it, it will break down, but as long as you make sure you service it, then you'd be amazed..

French cars are flimsy - but the mechanicals last..

The germans, famous for their build quality..

The !Removed!, they gave us reliable cars, the rest of the industry has been forced to catch up, and while it has, an early Jap car has the reliability of the latest ones...

Sure, if you dont look after it, it will break down, but as long as you make sure you service it, then you'd be amazed..

...ain't that the truth! :thumbsup:

Mine is about 100k and is driven hard (was an ex track car in Japan).

And okay, things break, but it's still reliable. She's only left me stranded once when an alternator belt fell off.

I knew of a Mk1 which had racked up 250,000 miles (distance to the moon). and was still beeing used daily and a track car monthly.

Just ask any mechanic what he would consider to be the most reliable car to get, and they always say ' anything japanese ' the only really reliable french motors were the old peugot n/a diesels a.k.a bomb proof , other than that most french motors are built out of recycled cardboard

perfect thats what i wanted to hear. i should be in your ranks within a month! :thumbsup:

Mine's 14 years old and just coming up to 188k apart from the expected things wearing out (brakes, shocks, clutch, alternator, etc) everything else is in pretty good shape (engine, electrics, interior, body, etc).

Try to make sure you get one that's been serviced on schedule and you should be OK.

Just ask any mechanic what he would consider to be the most reliable car to get, and they always say ' anything japanese ' the only really reliable french motors were the old peugot n/a diesels a.k.a bomb proof , other than that most french motors are built out of recycled cardboard

i'll agree with that, had a 405 with a 1.9 diesel in that had over 250,000 on the clock, but you could push the roof in cos it was so thin, seats wore away quick and dash rattled, but 60mpg :eek:

but the old engines are godsends! fair enough the dash was held in with 3 screws but the engine NEVER let me down and saved me a fortune, on another note, my ball joints arent gettin done tomorrow as my garage mate still has to fix a saxo thats been in his yard since friday, took him 2 days to remove summit to do with the rear bearings then found that the parts are on exhange basis as they have no way of knowing which one is fitted to which model!!!

I've had Toyota's wiv 50-130k on the clock and they still drive perfect, as the lad's said, as long as they are serviced properly they go on 4eva. Ok you get wear'n'tear but that's with all cars

I had a 106 GTI (French!) before, it was cramped inside and felt as light as a feather. I believe the lightness played it's part in the accident I had coz the road had a slight upward camber, as I went round the roundabout the back end lifted and lost it's grip and I ended up going into a hedge :ph34r:. The MR2 feels much more solid when driving.

I knew of a Mk1 which had racked up 250,000 miles (distance to the moon).

Is it still up there, or is he planning on driving it 250,000 miles back??? :D

I knew of a Mk1 which had racked up 250,000 miles (distance to the moon).

Is it still up there, or is he planning on driving it 250,000 miles back??? :D

He sold it ..

I'd hate to have bought it with a "buyer collects" clause ..

Jap cars, along with the germans are world famous for reliability..

French cars.... well.... um. (I wont go on as the swear filter will get me)

Jappy, going to tell him what happened to your engine? :bye:

Mate they are reliable if you find one thats had good owners that have looked after it with a money no object attitude.

My car wasn't and i had to buy a new engine at 120,000miles on a 1992 car. If they arn't looked after they will let you down loads and cost you loads.

Mate they are reliable if you find one thats had good owners that have looked after it with a money no object attitude.

Agreed! service history is very important....

Mine has 150k on the clock now and has only let me down once and that was my own fault. :unsure:

I may have spoken a little soon...

I have just discovered a potential cylinder problem on my MKI. Although at this point it could be anything - regarless it's serious. As said above, service history is a must. I took a chance on this one and lost (it had very little early history).

The problem is definately previous owner caused as I saw signs soon after the car was towed onto my drive. Just hoped with crossed fingers it was just because the car had been sat for a while. But sadly not.

Full story of problem here:

Clicky

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links