Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Cold Start Problem Supra Turbo Mark 3

Ash2005

Hi everyone,

I need some advice, I have a Supra 3.0i single turbo 1990 manual and on cold start it tends to idle at 300-400 revs and then easily cuts out if over reved and let to idle. :censor: Its been like this a long time but as I didn't use the car much never got anything done about it! After 20 mins she warms and idles at 800 revs and thats then normal. Is this an (Air Slide Valve Problem) :eek: I had this on my old Celica Supra 2.8i and was the ultimate problem and fix.

Maybe someone could give me some advice, the car hasnt been used much since last year but had the problem even when it was run everyday. Only mods are Induction kit, dump valve. Engine and Turbo was brand new from Toyota 3 years ago as previous owner blew it.

Thanks

Ash :wacko:

Have you looked at the plugs/leads????

Another common problem causeing poor running is the oil seals leaking around the plugs and covering them in oil!!!

check these out and if they are all fine or replaced and it still plays up try disconnecting the battery/pulling out the EFi fuse to reset the ECU.. see if that helps!!

What dump valve is it?

Hi Thanks for the reply!!!!!!!!!!

I recently changed the sparks and there was some oil but nothing really significant. I will try the Efi fuse 15amp, I presume this is located in the main box in engine bay, it shows fuse 7 on my Haynes manual for 1989 and later models. The Battery is new and a Bosch, all levels are ok. Question is, for ecu to reset how long do I have to leave fuse out? :help:

The dump valve was always there its a group A one in silver 6 bolts. The car is getting a new clutch next week and I want it to run nicely again. :) The previous owner raced the hell out of it although it has a sweet engine and Id like to keep it that way. Iv had Supra's since 1997 but never been a fanatic about them till now and only had a Celica Supra 2.8i before. Iv had this one about 3 years and now I want it back as the main car.

Ill do this tomorrow and get back to you and thanks

Ash :thumbsup:

I recently changed the sparks and there was some oil but nothing really significant.  I will try the Efi fuse 15amp, I presume this is located in the main box in engine bay, it shows fuse 7 on my Haynes manual for 1989 and later models.  The battery is new and a Bosch, all levels are ok.  Question is, for ecu to reset how long do I have to leave fuse out?  :help:

The dump valve was always there its a group A one in silver 6 bolts.  The car is getting a new clutch next week and I want it to run nicely again. :)  The previous owner raced the hell out of it although it has a sweet engine and Id like to keep it that way.  Iv had Supra's since 1997 but never been a fanatic about them till now and only had a Celica Supra 2.8i before.  Iv had this one about 3 years and now I want it back as the main car.

Ash  :thumbsup:

could be a couple off things

1 idle control valve sticking

2 throttle position switch set wrong

3 if you have a diafram dump valve this will cause it to stall when revving up mine did this so i got a piston one bov works fine.

I recently changed the sparks and there was some oil but nothing really significant.  I will try the Efi fuse 15amp, I presume this is located in the main box in engine bay, it shows fuse 7 on my Haynes manual for 1989 and later models.  The battery is new and a Bosch, all levels are ok.  Question is, for ecu to reset how long do I have to leave fuse out?   :help:

The dump valve was always there its a group A one in silver 6 bolts.  The car is getting a new clutch next week and I want it to run nicely again. :)  The previous owner raced the hell out of it although it has a sweet engine and Id like to keep it that way.   Iv had Supra's since 1997 but never been a fanatic about them till now and only had a Celica Supra 2.8i before.  Iv had this one about 3 years and now I want it back as the main car.

Ash  :thumbsup:

could be a couple off things

1 idle control valve sticking

2 throttle position switch set wrong

3 if you have a diafram dump valve this will cause it to stall when revving up mine did this so i got a piston one bov works fine.

Thanks for this information Iv also been told it could be the throttle body blocked, is this a possibility?

Many Thanks

Ashley

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links