Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Torque Model

westwood

does anyone know what the difference is between the high torque model corolla gti and the non high torque one

The non tvis GTi (89-92) is in some places referred to as the high torque model.

As for differences:

Revised interior.

Bigger front disks (about 20mm bigger).

Non tvis engine produces a few more bhp and few more pounds of torque.

Also this engine block has slightly different (stronger) internals from the earlier spec.

Anything I missed?

Badge on middle of front gril is the Toyota emblem design on Non Tvis as opposed to the word Toyota on the earlier ones :)

Badge on middle of front gril is the Toyota emblem design on Non Tvis as opposed to the word Toyota on the earlier ones  :)

Mine is a non TVIS (apparently) and it has a toyota on the grill, not the emblem.

do u know the exact figures for the bhp and the 0-60 times

They were both next to identical 8.2secs for the TVIS and 8.0secs for the NON-TVIS.

The TVIS model was 122-123bhp and the NON-TVIS was 129bhp.

You can fit twin carbs on the TVIS model. It's got a 200mm clutch whereas the NON-TVIS has got 212mm. TVIS brakes were 238 x 18mm, and the NON-TVIS was 258 x 22mm (more stopping power on NON-TVIS models).

Badge on middle of front gril is the Toyota emblem design on Non Tvis as opposed to the word Toyota on the earlier ones  :)

Mine is a non TVIS (apparently) and it has a toyota on the grill, not the emblem.

Well it's either had a front end smash and had the grill replaced with a late spec one or someone just changed the grill. I changed it on my '87 Rolla GTI to the late spec. Thought it looked alot better with the T in the center rather than having a dated looking TOYOTA Badge instead.

did exactly the same thing, replaced the aged toyota Badge with the T, looks the part much better :thumbsup: do have a meshed out grill aswel that i made tho with just the gti 16 Badge in it, will be put on when i get my suspsension kit put on the car :yes:

• 4 years later...
Badge on middle of front gril is the Toyota emblem design on Non Tvis as opposed to the word Toyota on the earlier ones :)

actually, i have a non-tvis from August 1990 with "Toyota" written on the front still!

the only way to be sure is to check the colour of the engine top-block.

The Tvis engines have the Tvis Badge on the intake manifold and the other non-tvis model has just lines.

Every GTi owners in this topic, POST YOUR GTI/AE92! It's stickied at the top of the rolla section. I want to see more! :lol:

Way to bring back a 4 year old thread...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links