Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is The Celica Heavy?

sotal

I've read lots of stuff about the celica being quite a heavy car, but I was just looking on parkers to see if it would tell me a weight.

For the gen 6 it says it is 1170kg - but that's for all gen 6's and I'm sure a GT4 would weigh more with a bigger engine and all the 4wd stuff - so is that the figure for the lightest one (ie mine), the average, or the heaviest???

The reason I was looking was to compare it against the ford focus as I thought it would be a lot heavier that the focus, but acording to parkers the gen 6 only weighs 20kg more than a focus

OK I found I can click the pdf report for each model and the weight changes in there.

The 1.8st celica weighs in at 1170kg and the ford focus 1.6 weighs in at 1070kg

So there is 100kg's difference.

I was only really interested as I thought the 1.6 focus with 98bhp would feel quicker as it would have a higher power/weight than the 1.8 celica with 118bhp

but I guess this shows the Celica has 0.10 bhp/kg and the focus has 0.92 bhp/kg a difference of 8%

The celica way out-performs the focus I would guess at more like a 20% difference in power - but I guess it's just how they're set up from the factory???

The celica outperforms the focus in every department. Looks. Pace. Handling, Space (Well maybe not space, but who cares :lol: ) Wouldn`t have another ford as a gift. Sorry any Ford lovers out there. :P

st185 gt4 weighs 1460 kg

st205 gt4 weighs 1380 kg

One of the biggest factors is that the bhp figure quoted for any engine is only for a specific engine speed and doesn't actually reflect the behaviour of the engine accross the whole rev range. Good examples are those using variable rail induction systems which flatten out the torque curve such as some of the Mazda V6s and I beleive leter generations of 3SGE. The peek power figures may not always be that impressive, but the average output accross the whole range will be higher, therefor allowing the car to reach the ideal power band faster.

IMHO 0-60 and BHP mean little compared to midrange acceleration and throttle response when you actually drive a car.

PS My last two cars were a Probe and a Sierra and I would switch back from a Japanese car for anything (I know the Probe is technically Japanese, but the design and feel is very Ford)

Yes I agree with everything said - the celica is a lot more powerful throughout the range. The thing I find best is how long you can leave it in gear and it just keeps going. 3rd gear is good for 85+ so overtaking is a breeze. It must be nice to be in the gt4!

Don't get me wrong I like the focus, but it could do with a bit more poke for the money I would have prefered another celica but the wife thought it would be sad to have 2 sitting next to each other outside. I even tried convincing her to get a gen5 but she things they look "nasty" :eek: she would have had a gen6 if we didn't already have one <_<

Oh well after if breaks down a few times hopefully we'll swap it for a gen6 GT :thumbsup:

I think it would look nice to have two gen 6's outside the house B)

Official figures from Toyota:

UK Gen6 1.8 ST/SR: 1170kg

UK Gen6 2.0 GT: 1220kg

UK Gen6 2.0 Cabriolet: 1295kg

UK Gen6 2.0 GT-4: 1440kg

UK Gen7 1.8 140bhp: 1145 - 1185kg

UK Gen7 1.8 189bhp: 1145 - 1215kg

I'd say they're average weight for their size.

Now if you want lardy, my mk2 MR2: 1285kg :eek:

• 4 years later...
st185 gt4 weighs 1460 kg

st205 gt4 weighs 1380 kg

Do people do any weight saving work on the GT4's? If so what weight have people got them down to?

i think it all comes down to functionality, what you need the car for, you could start stripping out the back seats etc but you then cant take passangers and the car tends to be a lot more noisy inside! but you will find that the performance figures wont match the price you paid to get all the weight saving work done

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links