Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Increase Low End Torque 0-60?

admanirv

Some people will go for power at any cost, but I need my engine to last for a while.

I'd be surprised if this made your engine die after 5 years or so... most people change cars before then or that is the limit. You say you have large experience of cars and have owned a few, well, according to your birthday, you aren't running cars much longer if any longer than this, so no, you don't need your engine to last a little longer. It's fine. Stop whinging and get some more oomph under ya bonnet!

Ah, so it looks like Toyota has the same idea I did.

=====

hm no.Toyota didnt have any idea.They always made Tsports with this final gear ratio.You just thought wrongly that the Tsport has the same final gear ratio as the scion.

So T-sports ARE faster than the regular 1.5 liter equipped Echo sold here then!

===

definetely.I would never buy a 4 door sedan yaris anyway.

I don't speak German. I'm assuming what I'm looking for is Achsübersetzung?

====

Hm probably.Ich spreche Deutch so bin ich glucklich :)

If so, it looks like the 1.3 liter has a 3.722 Achsübersetzung

The 1.4 diesel has a Achsübersetzung of 3.526

And the 1.0 liter apparently has no final drive ration as the line is blank. :lol:

So it looks like the 1.3 liter Yaris drivers might benefit from even the 3.9 gearing used in the U.S., or the 4.3 on the more extreme side. I'm guessing they have taller gearing because they are intended for maxiumum fuel economy.

====

exactly.I know at least 2 people from the greek yaris club who fitted a gearbox from a tsport in their cars and they get much better accelerations

Furthermore, any TS driver that wants better fuel mileage could swap in some D4-D cogs. :rolleyes:

====

I dont think there is such an idiot out there.Why on earth one would buy the Tsport and change the gearbox characteristics?One of the reasons buying the tsport is the close ratio gearbox it offers.Some of us love hitting the rev limiter on 5th gear :)It would be very useful though, if TTE offered a conversion to add a 6th gear in our gearboxes, like NOVITEC does in cinquecento/seicento.I would like to have a 6th gear in my gearbox.

Some people will go for power at any cost, but I need my engine to last for a while.

I'd be surprised if this made your engine die after 5 years or so... most people change cars before then or that is the limit. You say you have large experience of cars and have owned a few, well, according to your birthday, you aren't running cars much longer if any longer than this, so no, you don't need your engine to last a little longer. It's fine. Stop whinging and get some more oomph under ya bonnet!

There's no telling since I don't really know how it works. But given the knowledge I do have about the way engines work for me it's safe to assume one of two things. Either the chip does little or nothing, or it changing the only parameters it can, ignition timing and air/fuel ratio. Messing with either of those more than a tiny bit on a car like this can seriously shorten engine life and/or cause your car to run horribly.

IMO it's more than a little naive to assume Toyota just doesn't know what they are doing and there are 15 extra horsepower you can release with a magic chip and face no consequences for it. But don't take my word for it, ask anyone else here who REALLY knows how cars work. Try Yves, everyone thinks he's a genius. I'd be interested to see what his take is on this.

If I decide to get some more oomph under my bonnet it will be with something I know works and works well and will deliver on all promises without nasty surprises. It's oldest known way to get real gains, it's proven and it's by far the best. Anything less than that is just playing about or foolishness really. There is engine tuning, and then there is playing about with sports cats and new spark plugs and chips on N/A motors. I know which I like.

Just my opinion. I'm not discouraging anyone from getting one of these chips, but I don't personally chip anything without a turbo because I know what the results are with every other chip I have seen for a non-turbo car.

Everybody's got to decide for themselves however. I've got no trouble with anyone doing what they like. :yes:

Ah, so it looks like Toyota has the same idea I did.

=====

hm no.Toyota didnt have any idea.They always made Tsports with this final gear ratio.You just thought wrongly that the Tsport has the same final gear ratio as the scion.

Actually, the T sport DOES have the same final gear as the Scion, that was the whole point. I didn't realize that it did. I assumed that the T sport had the same final drive as the Echo sold here with the 1.5 engine.

My point was Toyota has the same idea I did---- they put 4.3 final drive in the Tsport instead of the taller final drives they put in the other cars because it makes the car more responsive.

We just misunderstood each other I think.

====

exactly.I know at least 2 people from the greek yaris club who fitted a gearbox from a tsport in their cars and they get much better accelerations

That is exactly what I was suggesting man! Hello? :lol:

Furthermore, any TS driver that wants better fuel mileage could swap in some D4-D cogs.  :rolleyes:

====

I dont think there is such an idiot out there.Why on earth one would buy the Tsport and change the gearbox characteristics?One of the reasons buying the tsport is the close ratio gearbox it offers.Some of us love hitting the rev limiter on 5th gear :)It would be very useful though, if TTE offered a conversion to add a 6th gear in our gearboxes, like NOVITEC does in cinquecento/seicento.I would like to have a 6th gear in my gearbox.

Well I was kidding about the D4-D gearing. That's why I put ---> :rolleyes: dude.

6 speed would be fun, I agree, but I'm not sure that these cars have enough power, even with this chip, to have a much higher top speed (which would be the point of the 6th gear, I'm assuming.

A supercharged or turbo 1NZ-FE could earn a 6 speed though.

I think your Yaris has a 3.90 final drive, if you were to swap in the 4.30 final drive from my car, that would give you a big kick in the rear, but at the expense of 5th gear fuel economy of course. We have the same transmission so this is something that could be done if you wanted. I think it would definitely be a wise step somewhere along the way in building a fast Yaris.

Next to what dimitrios already pointed out about the final drive ratio the transaxle is a different one aswell.

It would be very useful though, if TTE offered a conversion to add a 6th gear in our gearboxes, like NOVITEC does in cinquecento/seicento.I would like to have a 6th gear in my gearbox.

Considered a C60/C160 from a AE101/AE111? They have a 0.725 ratio sixth gear opposed to the 0.815 ratio fifth gear in the TS. First gear is a tad shorter too with a 3.214 ratio versus a 3.166 ratio in the TS.

Yves.

Next to what dimitrios already pointed out about the final drive ratio the transaxle is a different one aswell.

I explained above that I figured the YTS had the same final drive as our 1.5 Echo. I have to keep reminding myself there are different engines there, not just the 1.5 :rolleyes:

The transaxle in the T-sport is different model than the other non 1.5 liter Yaris'?

Considered a C60/C160 from a AE101/AE111? They have a 0.725 ratio sixth gear opposed to the 0.815 ratio fifth gear in the TS. First gear is a tad shorter too with a 3.214 ratio versus a 3.166 ratio in the TS.

That bolts right up to the 1NZ-FE and fits in a Yaris does it? I'd like to hear more about that.

If so that would be a nice upgrade for my car as well. :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links