Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paint Problem.............

ecodoc

I like the colour of my Prius,

BUT have noticed that it seems to pick up fine but quite noticable scatches very easily. :crybaby:

has anyone else had similar experiences??

Thanks ED. :)

Yes, it's dreadful :-(

I'm told it's because of new restrictions on the type of paint they can use these days.

• 5 years later...

Yes, it's dreadful :-(

I'm told it's because of new restrictions on the type of paint they can use these days.

I have noticed the same problem on my year old auris and the wind whipping round the bumper is leaving fine score marks.

Rubbish paint!!

Me too, but it polishes up quite well. I haven't given the old girl a polish for quite a while yet someone came upto me today and said what a wonderfully shiney car I had :toast:

I like the colour of my Prius,

BUT have noticed that it seems to pick up fine but quite noticable scatches very easily. :crybaby:

has anyone else had similar experiences??

Thanks ED. :)

I've always had these fine scratches - I put it down to not hosing the dust off the car (no hose access) before I wash it. They disappear when polishing and how up more on solid and dark colours

The fine scratches that you are referring to are normally called 'swirls'.... they can and do occur when washing and dusting the car. Sadly this is all down to the type of paint and clear coat being used as they are water based acrylic rather than being spirit based cellulose as all car paint used to be.

These swirls can be reduced dramatically by polishing the car with soft cloths and using a good polymer based polish or a carnuba wax.

Many people may come up with different preferences as to what polishes they use but frankly I would stick with my suggestions above.... good luck thumbsup.gif

Swirls can be caused by grit / dirt caught in the cloth used for washing. Ensure it is kept clean.

There is good advice on this website here on getting rid of swirls and on how to prevent them.

I had my (company) car detailed a few days after I got it. It was polished and then waxed with a high-protection treatment. No swirls and it's easy to keep clean. :thumbsup:

I used B&B Autostyle, based in Belfast Northern Ireland - www.bandbautostyle.co.uk - I have no connection with them, they came highly recommended to me, they were very reasonably priced and I'm a very happy customer. :yahoo:

R04drunner1

Pretty much all Japanese brands use soft paint compared to brands like BMW. I had swirls on my brand new Auris HSD because the dealer had cleaned it using crappy methods and cloths. I've now had all the swirls corrected by a professional detailer (mopped) and had the car coated with G-Techniq C1 which is just about the toughest paint protection you can get (you can't buy it directly, has to be done by a professional). IMO really worth it though as it makes the car much easier to clean and it resists scratches and UV damage.

As cord says, Japanese cars tend to use a much softer paint than the likes of BMW or VW. on my previous VAG cars they where much more resilient to scrtching, my Prius just attracts them. I caught the passenger door a couple of weeks ago with my watch, the scratch is down to the primer ............ at least they give touch up paint away with the vehicle, and I have a G220 polisher.

As cord says, Japanese cars tend to use a much softer paint than the likes of BMW or VW. on my previous VAG cars they where much more resilient to scrtching, my Prius just attracts them. I caught the passenger door a couple of weeks ago with my watch, the scratch is down to the primer ............ at least they give touch up paint away with the vehicle, and I have a G220 polisher.

Would you recommend the G220 polisher?

Thanks

I got mine in May, all clean and shiny from the dealer, I washed it 3 or 4 weeks later and gave it a coat of Simonize liquid diamond polymer based polish. Being silver it doesn't show the muck as easily as the dark colours so it only gets a hand wash about once a month and so far it hasn't got any scratches (touch wood) or if it has they are not as visible on the silver (I can't see any). I think the paint problem is the same with nearly all manufactures now with it being water based, not just a japanese thing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links