Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo The 1.8 Celicas

jabran200

i've got a turbo manifold and t3 turbo sitting here and was wondering if i should fit it on a 1.8 celica (it fits 4afe and 7afes's) just wondering if it should be doable without MANY problems. can i gte ecu's for the 7afe etc. what power output am i looking at.

thanks

I would imagine that unless you lowered the compression ratio all you would get is a blown head gasket/engine.

so long as you run low boost i.e. 5p.s.i. then it could work.

problems will be down to fueling, a differant FPR will be needed and if you want to do things properly get some after market management, e-manage is most comonly used AFAIK for home grown turbo charging. i'm using it on my GT4, and my mate used it in his MX5 when he tubro'd it.

my mate managed to run 1 bar with out blowing his HG on the MX5, all down to preporation, he was still using the standard internals but he did have a front mount and as i've said the e-manage, being able to control the ignition and fueling helps keep the engine in one piece ;)

good read, aw well gonna turbo the 4a-fe then if there is no big advanatge of the 7a-fe and the 4afe i have in the car is free (not a celica) if plans change i will try and sell the kit including the t3 and manifold.

An F head is low compressed and for fine tuning your will be safe just running 5 psi, G heads are high compressed so internals needs to be replaced to lower it, thats not a whole lot of gain for 5 psi, but if you are willing to go higher than 5 then change the internals for the F head, the lower you are, the better your off with preasure

Heard a guy in Denmark tried that kit you have bought, ran it on very low boost for 200 miles until it went bang. Was also looking at this for my 7a-fe until i heard that went bang as well so i decided to go for the 3s-gte conversion, touch wood 5k on her now no problems :D

i just bought a manifold and turbo from america + downpipe, it wasn't website, it was an idependant guy who has turbo'd a few 4afe's before. also where can i get pistons and after i change them ( an idea what it takes and how hard) how much boost can i expect?

well i got the kit i want to know if the following will work:

i was told that if i install the 3sgte, maf, fuel pump and uprated injectors this will sort out the problems with air and fuel mixture and won't need an aftermarket ecu becasue can't find one for the 4a-fe, because i will be only running 7 psi. i will also have a fron mount intercooler

what do you experts think. will it work?

not sure, the turbo kits for the MX5's give you a differant FPR so that when it's on boost it adds more fuel so doesn't run lean

sup foo,

is the 4afe in a Celica ST?

ive re read the thread 3 times and i'm now confused.

the gen 5 ST (not sold in the UK) had the 4AFE (1.6).

gen 6 7AFE (1.8).

so which car are you considering the turbo on? because neither will be worth it. period.

oh not gonna do the celica wont risk it. so i am doing it on my avensis. the car has a 5 inch exhuast and induction kit. i am not looking to get massive gains which the turbo is possible of, just an increase in power of about 30% which is o.k on stock internals as i've heard (will probably change the engine /head to a 4age afterwards as this engine is of high mileage.

you must've sued an ecu as well? or just the fpr

the kit comes with just the FPR but both mx5's so far have used the greddy e-manage unit as well to keep things under proper control :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links