Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lpg Conversion For Avensis 2.0 03

jonoc

Hi there

Have had an 03 TSpirit 2.0 for about 6 months an am generally delighted with it.

One thought though is to have an LPG conversion done.

Can anybody advise me as to whether this is available/ recommended and costs?

many thanks

Your car's engine is a direct injection petrol thus it would be not suited for LPG conversion. Direct injection engine, relies on petrol to cool the petrol injectors in the combustion chamber but running on LPG, this will not be the case and can lead to petrol injector damage.

However, the 1AZ engine used for African market is non-direct injection, so if you change the head and the ECU, in theory you can run it on LPG no problem without any damage. However, it is not economically viable to do so as the cost of doing so will probably wipe away the savings you will make by running on LPG.

I run my Avensis on LPG. I bought this one with 3S-FE engine, which is a non-direct injection engine mainly because I had LPG conversion in mind. The later model which have the same engine as your's (1AZ-FSE) looked attractive in many ways but went for the early model because of this.

But, the 1.8 variants (1ZZ-FE) is not a direct injection engine so this can still be converted. So as the 1.6 variants (3ZZ-FE) but on 1.6 will be under powered running on LPG so 1.8 is preferred.

Direct or not, LPG is not a problem. it's a case of fitting the correct generation system. See a LPGA approved installer for the correct info.

• 3 years later...

I found this site: http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog/SPCLIS.html here is what it says on the kit description:

petrol-injected engines with catalytic converter, (providing that they have a metal inlet manifold and were manufactured before 1999).

My brother has had two avensis converted to lpg without problem.One a 2000 model 1.8vvti the other a 54 plate 1.8 vvti.As a taxi driver he covered about 80000 miles in the first one and was truly delighted with it.His latest one has the latest generation lpg conversion and he says it is even more efficient.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links