Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help! Deposit Paid Today For A Gen 7 - Advice?

mattman

Hi, new to this forum, and hopefully next week the proud owner of a Celica Gen 7 VVti.

Just put a deposit down on an early gen 7 - registered 8.11.99 - it has the premium and sport pack and has covered 76k - other than a few stone chips on the bonnet and some corroding to the alloys it looks great and drives well, what else should I check for before handing over the balance of the payment?

I've checked all round for the obvious things, it has a full service history with the last service carried out at approx 71k - I forgot to ask if the cambelt had been changed - what is the schedule for these and are they non-intrusion engines or the "stuff everything up" kind?

The garage is giving me a 2 mth warranty for parts and labour, that they do themselves, which is a lot better than a a warranty holdings one!!

The silver trim panel around the gearstick has some wear on it - with the silver coming off on the right hand side of the gearstick - can't work out what they've done to do it!! - Wheres the best place to get a replacement, are they all the same shade of silver? any recommendations most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance - look forward to using this forum lots

WELCOME TO THE CLUB :thumbsup:

That's around average mileage for a Celica of that age :thumbsup:

Ok - the alloys on the early Celica G7's were prone to corrosion - nothing you can do now though as it was a fix under warrenty issue.

Defo check the cambelt has been changed as it should have been done around 50-66,000 miles.

Check all the tyres and if neccessary get them to chuck in some new rubber if worn too much.

Toyota main dealers can get you anything you need for the car and it is worth checking with your local one first for parts and get a price quote at the very least.

With a part like the gear surround unless you can find someone selling one 2nd hand you don't have much choice but to call them.

However, saying that there is a place called TCB (toyota Celica Breakers) in Cornwall which have many many many spare parts for ALL Celicas. Might be worth giving them a shout - haven't got their number to hand but it is arund on this forum somewhere.

Celica Engines are pretty much bullet-proof but if it's been thrashed then who knows what has ben done to it.

A full service history should support the theory that the engine is in good nick and if you can - analyse the reports on the service receipts if they are there to see what has been done to the car by the garages.

:D Welcome to TOC matey...and gen7.....Ill pass this and let maleborn explain!!!!!!!! :lol:

tom i know as much about gen 7's than you know about me , i own a gen 6 gt4 remember. :lol:

Defo check the cambelt has been changed as it should have been done around 50-66,000 miles.

Gordypix - Does the Gen7 have a cambelt or a cam chain? Someone else has told me it has a chain and now I'm confused! :wacko:

Thanks for the advice - i think the polishing kit will have to come out on the alloys after I pick it up!

I had a feeling it was a chain as well, and as such *shouldn't* need replacing. I'll sit in wait for someone to correct me tho!

Other things to look out for - how are the boot struts? Do they have SP written on them somewhere? If you have Premium, then you got a spoiler, and you will need the struts with "SP" on them, as the ones without won't take the weight of the boot & spoiler. It was a Toyota Warrenty thing to replace, and as you are out of that, it'll probably cost you £120 or so at Mr T to get them swopped.

As Gordy said, the 5 spoke alloys are prone to corrosion. Nothing can be done... :(

I think the centre console had a slightly different shade of silver for the face-lift (2002 onwards). Not certain about that though. I guess just make sure you get one from an early car rather than a later one just to make certain, if you get one from a breakers.

Thats about it really! If it's got Full Main Dealer Service History then it should run pretty much like new.

Welcome to the club matey, I hope your new motor treats you well! Oh, and one more tip - sign up for gold membership here, definately worth it! ;)

Yep, gen 7 has a timing chain. You don't have to worry about a cambelt.

Have a listen for squeaks from the aux drive belt pulleys. The belt tensioner/idler pulley bearing has a reputation for wearing out. It's not a show stopper, but the toyota dealers seem to ask for ~£250 to fit a new belt and idler.

Thanks for all the advice guys - great to find such a good source of information.

I spoke to the garage we're buying the car from and they're going to get all 4 wheels refurbed at cost - approx £170 before we pick it up - so it should be nice and spanky clean!!

Only job to do is to sort out somebody's haphazard attempts at touching up stone chips on the bonnet, hopefully a mild T-cut and good polish should get the worst off and back to looking normal.

Can't wait to pick it up now - Friday seems a long way off! :D

Thanks for all the advice guys - great to find such a good source of information.

I spoke to the garage we're buying the car from and they're going to get all 4 wheels refurbed at cost - approx £170 before we pick it up - so it should be nice and spanky clean!!

Only job to do is to sort out somebody's haphazard attempts at touching up stone chips on the bonnet, hopefully a mild T-cut and good polish should get the worst off and back to looking normal.

Can't wait to pick it up now - Friday seems a long way off!  :D

Aha - So it has got a chain then - U learn sumthing new everyday :thumbsup:

That sounds like they are charging you for the FULL refurb of the wheels cost - SEE if they will absorb some of it themselves as you are paying them loads for the car........

I don't think many people would recommend using T CUT on a car of this age as it is an abrasive cleaner so maybe get the garage to cough up for a chip repairer as they will have one on their books no doubt. Failing that get a quote from a company like CHIPSAWAY who can come to you and sort the issues out at competitive prices. :thumbsup:

I don't think I can squeeze anymore out of them, I already got the PX up from 3750 to 4895, a full valet (should be included anyway) and the car had been reduced £400 the day before anyway, so I think the deal was OK.

I offered to pay the full charge for the refurb, easier to get it done now before I collect it rather than trying to arrange it later.

Used chipsaway before on the wife's A-class and colour match was useless, done a better job myself! - Will try someothers though, there has to be some good ones out there!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links