Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie, Be Nice

Dan H

Hi all hope everythings sticky and sweet. Ive been following the boards on and off for about a fortnight now and have decided to by a mk2 T-bar. Cause im only 20 a tubbie is well out of the question. Prestige insurance quoted £1600 tpft, so now its just a case of finding a 'decent' motor for under 3k. Anyone got any decent advise on what to look for and how to lower my fantastic premium? Cheers, Dan H :thumbsup:

I think you can get a quote before hand but you will need to pay a subby to MR2DC before they will let you have a policy.

My bro is 24 and has only been driving 3 years and they saved 300 odd quid.

sounds good, 300 bar is quite a substanial saving. Would it be cheaper to go under my parents insurance or would they see right through it?

your better off getting your own policy and build up your own NCB

i was thinking that, but if i went under say my mothers name for a couple of years, then i would be over that all important 21 age so my insurance would be cheaper. There are better cars for building up a ncb than an mr2. I'll ring up for some quotes, but im pretty sure that id save a fortune in the short term if i used my parents. Also, what sort of mileage would warrent a proper service, i.e belts, filters etc and roughly, how much am i looking at? Cheers (and sorry for the slightly naive questions) Dan

Sounds a bit silly but AutoTrader online is a good place to start looking.

I'm under my dads name on my MR2, I'm 24 and I pay £660 a year on a n/a T-bar import.

Gonna go it alone when I'm 25 tho.

Just a thought, but I am insuring my (non Toyota!) 1988 sports car on a limited milage "classic" policy for peanuts. Would the Mk1 MR2 be eligible for this sort of policy? Could be a good way to reduce premiums?

shoul be, there's a dsicount scheme through dorset insurance, may be worth giving them a call....

from a few mr2 forums i have a look at, the general opinion is to use "DORSET INSURANCE".

i havent had a quote from them yet as im still happy with my direct line policy (by the way tesco are usually the best for most cars and their premium is slightly lower than my direct line one so may switch to them next month at renewal time).

i'm led to believe that if you join the mr2 drivers club they have a dedicated insurance scheme for mr2's. - again unable to verify this myself yet.

hope this helps - welcome to mr2's - im a recent newbie myself and never looking back now! :D

dorset are supposed to be cheap but even declaring all of my mods Iit was cheaper to go with elephant, this year I will change to dorset or aon purely as they do trackday cover which I need... I'll try and get some quotes from elephant and get them to price match, fingers crossed, only two months till I need to renew

dorset seem to be better with turbos than n/as. they generally save more money for tubby owners, i'm with them and they saved me a few quid and cut my excess to just 270, from 750.

Tesco

Elephant

Direct Line

Privilege

HIC

Adrian Flux

Dorset

esure? "Calm down dear" :D

HIC do good limited mileage policies and are leniant with mods...

Phone them all once, get the best price, phone them all back!

• 2 weeks later...

Get your parents on the policy until you're 25. Once you reach this golden age, your insurance will come down dramatically. I'm 25 and pay £870 fully comp on a Tubby with 0 years NCB and £150 excess. Next year it goes down 20-30% to far more managable £640 - £696. If I had 5 years NCB I would pay £300 - £350.

Get your parents on the policy until you're 25. Once you reach this golden age, your insurance will come down dramatically. I'm 25 and pay £870 fully comp on a Tubby with 0 years NCB and £150 excess. Next year it goes down 20-30% to far more managable £640 - £696. If I had 5 years NCB I would pay £300 - £350.

!Removed! hell I wish...

I'm 29 superb insuranbce area with a '91 NA, admittedly have....

suspension

bodykit

de-cat

zorst

alloys

brakes

induction

(think thats it)

all declared with 3yrs NCB I still pay £698 and that was the cheapest i could find !!

I'm 30 and long gone are the days when I have to give a F :censor: K about insurance.... :P

Funny, untill now I had not really thougth about it! I just got 5 years protected No claims this year on my Lexus and my Rangy. Both policies cost collectively under a grand. Think I will didtch the rangy policy for a "limited milage" jobbie and pay £130. then I can look forward to paying about £250 I'd have thought for the MR2. If anyone has trhe reg of a mk2 NA over 8 years old please PM me so I can get a quote and also a MK1 SC. Cheers!

Loz

Ps. If you have not tried www.axamotor.co.uk you really should!

Loz, you could always just look at any of my photo's and use mine (plate that is) lol....

If you need extra info...

Toyota Mr2 Mk2 (SW20) G-Limited (just tell them its the same as the uk gti if asked)

1991, 32,000miles :D

For your purposes it's completely standard :D :D :D :D

Don't ask Elephant or they'll get confiused as it's on there records with a few toys....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links