Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking Sound From Rear Of The Rolla

gezy

Just bought 1996 rolla si, the car is behaving well apart from two minor things.

1) knocking sound from the rear echoing in boot, sounds simular to the sound a dodgy top mount would make, first i thought it was load sensor thing rattling around but i was wrong, any ideas?? (this prob only happens at low speeds and on certain bumps, like a drain, it does effect the performance of the car just annoys the hell out of me.)

2) slight vibration in steering wheel at cruising speed (really annoying) thought it was balancing but Nope, I think it may be a bush problem, any other ideas??

i thought that but it doesn't make the sound when rocking or bouncing the beack of the car. and there is no play when the wheel is shaken.

I'm slowly running out of possibilities any suggestions welcome it may be some simple and silly.

hmmm...i have an idea about what it can be...but i dont know what its called in english..In danish they normally is called a "meatbone" because they should look like it :P

but i dont know what the real name for it is..

Steering wheel vibration is likely to be the tracking, get the tracking checked, it only costs £15.

To check if your shock absorbers are past their best, push down hard on the back of the car, the suspension should travel back up again and settle immediately. If it goes down and up and down and up the shocks have had it.

hmmm...i have an idea about what it can be...but i dont know what its called in english..In danish they normally is called a "meatbone" because they should look like it  :P

but i dont know what the real name for it is..

Wishbone maybe.

Just bought 1996 rolla si, the car is behaving well apart from two minor things.

1) knocking sound from the rear echoing in boot, sounds simular to the sound a dodgy top mount would make, first i thought it was load sensor thing rattling around but i was wrong, any ideas?? (this prob only happens at low speeds and on certain bumps, like a drain, it does effect the performance of the car just annoys the hell out of me.)

2) slight vibration in steering wheel at cruising speed (really annoying) thought it was balancing but Nope, I think it may be a bush problem, any other ideas??

Hi - I've got the same problem with my car ('94 GXi) with the knocking sound from the back. It sounds like the parcel shelf is constantly rattling, even though its not that. It does sound naff when you're driving around town! My rear shocks seem OK though - the car only dips once at the back when pushed on... I'm going to get my local mechanic to check it out next week anyway. I'll post up any findings on here.

It's probally the rear anti-roll bar link pins - a short rod with 2 ball joints on it which connects the anti roll bar to the strut - they rattle/knock like a bugger when worn. Seen a couple of Corolla's with modified Rose Joint link pins - the standard Mr T one's are quite expensive.

:thumbsup:

It's probally the rear anti-roll bar link pins - a short rod with 2 ball joints on it which connects the anti roll bar to the strut - they rattle/knock like a bugger when worn. Seen a couple of Corolla's with modified Rose Joint link pins - the standard Mr T one's are quite expensive.

:thumbsup:

And check the rear silencer mounts and the exhaust as far forward as you can while you're under there...... :)

hi,

i have exactly same problem with a knocking at the rear, a while ago toyota said the anti roll bar bushes werwe worn and may experience knocking, ive still not had chance to get replaced but im experiencing exactly same problems like its only happening at low speeds and over certain sharp bumps.

yeah i gt 1986 corolla wen i drive over nething unsmooth it jangles from the back sounds like metal bolts bouncing around. i have no idea wat it is i cant find nething either.

Definitely anti-roll bar bushings! A common fault/problem on Corollas!

Just checked out the anti role bar and the ball joint on the passenger side is worn and there is a tiny amount of play so that should be whats making all the noise, thanks people

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links